Confused by the text of TR new omicron

It says, "they" where it seems like it would be singular, not plural. What do you mean by "they?"
"This word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Replies

• Options
    Are you really confused? Or just looking for a subtle place to vent some anti-woke rage?

I mean it’s pretty obvious what it does, isn’t it?
  • Options
    Are you really confused? Or just looking for a subtle place to vent some anti-woke rage?

Yes, in my life I am usually pretty good with my subject-verb agreement. 8dw9hbp4ak9u.jpg
    In the 1st few sentences where it refers to 1 person dying and "they" reviving it implies more than 1 person reviving. Although... I did drink 1 beer. Maybe my reading comprehension has comprehension-down debuff and I'm just not concluding the obvious.
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help
    The English language does not have a gender-neutral third-person singular personal pronoun, but in recent years they has gained considerable traction in this role. They has been officially recognized as correct by several key bodies such as the Associated Press. Similarly, the Chicago Manual of Style now notes that the singular "they" is common in informal communication (while acknowledging that it has yet to attain the same ubiquity in formal spaces).
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Maybe this will help
    The English language does not have a gender-neutral third-person singular personal pronoun, but in recent years they has gained considerable traction in this role. They has been officially recognized as correct by several key bodies such as the Associated Press. Similarly, the Chicago Manual of Style now notes that the singular "they" is common in informal communication (while acknowledging that it has yet to attain the same ubiquity in formal spaces).

I'm actually hoping that is it.

FYI, this is actually a big deal if it is the case. More than you probably realize.
  • Options

Yes, in my life I am usually pretty good with my subject-verb agreement. 8dw9hbp4ak9u.jpg
    In the 1st few sentences where it refers to 1 person dying and "they" reviving it implies more than 1 person reviving. Although... I did drink 1 beer. Maybe my reading comprehension has comprehension-down debuff and I'm just not concluding the obvious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

FYI, this is actually a big deal if it is the case. More than you probably realize.

Is it?
  • Options

Has this occurred in any other kits in SWGOH? I'm a big proponent of gender neutral pronouns, but I honestly suspected a mistype or bad language before expecting CG/Disney to be linguistically progressive.
  • Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.
  • Options

Has this occurred in any other kits in SWGOH? I'm a big proponent of gender neutral pronouns, but I honestly suspected a mistype or bad language before expecting CG/Disney to be linguistically progressive.

Like all over the place I think? Here’s Ackbar’s kit as it has been forever -

k3srloyaxotj.jpeg
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.

Or....no.
  • Firebrigade
    852 posts Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Meant to edit my previous post, but quoted by accident instead -

Although you might be correct when it comes to self-referencing. Looks like CG typically defaults to using the name rather than “they” in cases like Wampa self-referencing in the kit.
  • Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.

Or....no.

Why not both? Let them be happy if it’s a big deal to them. Don’t make a big deal out of it if it isn’t to you…
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.

Or....no.

Why not both? Let them be happy if it’s a big deal to them. Don’t make a big deal out of it if it isn’t to you…

If they have any interest in explaining how they think it is actually a big deal I'm willing to listen.
  • Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.

Or....no.

If they have any interest in explaining how they think it is actually a big deal I'm willing to listen.

Seems to me that they see it as acknowledgment/progress from CG/EA/Disney on gender pronouns?
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

World changing stuff, really
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

Is it?

Yes.

Or....no.

Seems to me that they see it as acknowledgment/progress from CG/EA/Disney on gender pronouns?

Haha for some reason I thought they meant in game, lol.

But whatever. I'm all for it, however I don't see it as some huge deal either.
  • Options
    This is the second thread I’ve seen about this language issue (there was one about Talon as well).

I don’t think it’s progressive gender neutral language, tbh. Certainly not in Talon’s unique’s case.

Using “they” is really common these days and absolutely does not imply more than one person. I even found an excerpt of a recent email sent by the top brass at my school… “If any pupil is caught cheating in an exam, they can expect serious repercussions”. It’s a way of avoiding saying “he or she”, I guess.

As for Tusken raider, I don’t think there’s anything in the kit that specifies their gender. Maybe CG want to keep it a mystery?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    This isn't new at all. Did everyone forget Res Pilot unique?
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Did everyone forget Res Pilot?

FTFY. Sometimes I honestly forget about that unit lol
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Did everyone forget Res Pilot?

FTFY. Sometimes I honestly forget about that unit lol

I remember discussions long ago with people debating whether she was male or female. The "they" made it ambiguous, along with the uniform and helmet.
  • Options
    Yeah, same with Trooper, although that was just because of the ambiguity of the sprite, nothing in the kit per se.