Skill Ratings Reset for 3v3?

Cehmybro
58 posts Member
edited April 2022
I know 3v3 isn't for everyone, but personally I'm excited for the change. Anything that breaths new life into the staleness of what GAC has been allowed to become over the past several months is fine with me. Which is why I am really hoping CG will consider a reset of the GAC skill ratings. Keep everyone in their current leagues so nobody is punished for their hard work thus far, but start everyone off at the same skill rating for each league/division. 100 or more points above the threshold for each division so people aren't immediately demoted after 1 loss sounds reasonable. 3v3 is different enough from 5v5 that the skill ratings should not carry over and do not accurately portray someone's proficiency in the upcoming GAC. Furthermore, this change would allow the players to see new opponents again instead of the monotonous matchups we've been relegated to in the waning days of this 5v5 season. I am a fan of 3v3 if for no other reason than it keeps things fresh; but, the switch in team composition is not enough for next month's GAC. Implement the above changes and untether the players from their current repeat adversaries. 3v3 has already separated itself from 5v5 in the minds of players, it's time the devs create separate skill ratings for that version of GAC too.

Replies

• Options
    I hope you don't mind toxic comments!
  • Options
    It's a public forum, everyone has the right to voice their objections. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone, or even the majority, would agree with me. I do hope the appellants come with sound reasoning and constructive criticism though. It's hard to ask the devs for things if all they see on here are people with closed minds being toxic towards everything they see.
  • Options

I wish he preferred using the Enter key.
  • Options

I wish he preferred using the Enter key.

Nailed
    It
    :)
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    I've never fought the same person twice, is this really a common issue?
  • Gorgus
    122 posts Member
    Options
    Not sure I see a real benefit to this. I think I’ve had a repeat opponent one time so far. Half the players in a bracket will be happy for the opportunity to play less successful players with lower SRs. The other half will be angry at suddenly facing tougher opponents. I’m not sure where the win would be here for the devs or player community as a whole.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    It's not a problem because matchmaking doesn't exist.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    It took 3 5v5 seasons for the SR and the populations to really settle down. So what OP proposes would only work if we started alternating 5v5 and 3v3 at least quarterly. Um... I sure hope not.
  • Options
    Hard pass. 5v5 will start again after the next season. SR is already enough of a mess. People still haven't settled where they should be. Resetting would just prolong the decent into mediocrity that GAC has become.
  • Options
    Skill Rating does take time to settle down. It happens sooner at the higher Divisions, and longer at the lower ones. But introducing 3v3 is going to disrupt things again. Looking forward to the salt when all the 5v5 players who've dropped during 3v3 start playing the next 5v5 round and their opponents whine about the match-ups.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    I've never fought the same person twice, is this really a common issue?

I faced one dude back in Aurodium 4 and got matched up again in Kyber 2 😂. I thought his username looked awful familiar in the HotBot compare tool.

As for Skill Rating, it’s still settling down in 5v5. I can’t imagine how long 3v3 would take to settle since a Skill Rating reset would mean matchmaking would be based solely on GP. Which is how 5v5’s matchups were initially based on before Skill Rating was able to catch up.