Territory War vs GA Match Ups.

The new format in Grand Arena has settled in now and I have have to say that the match ups in general seem a lot fairer than they are in the Territory Wars. I may get put up against some one with some bigger metas than anything I run but I still get decent results and above all I also get matched up against people I can beat, usually in a reasonably close contest.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the match ups my guild has had in the Territory Wars for almost a year now. We have gone from winning from time to time with some close losses and our fair share of getting smashed to now facing guild that routinely clean out our entire defense and we can barely clear two sectors.

The designers made it abundantly clear with the "great nerf" that to beat GL's you need to field GL's. Whilst our guild is starting to get some GL's in the ranks we aren't swimming in them. Last TW we were matched up with another guild that had enough to field 18 GL's in the front two trenches plus whatever they needed to whitewash every single sector we had. We have won one single GL in the last year.

At what point will the algorithm for TW get a revisit? A lot of our guild won't even join the TW anymore as they don't see the point.

I can't help but think that we aren't the only ones who are going through this.

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    I think everyone agrees there are TW MM issues.

But if your guild is still operating under the assumption that only GLs can beat GLs, you are severely handicapping yourselves.
  • Options
    Even taking those counters into consideration, and the ones I have seen on Youtube are quite hit and miss, our guild gets out matched massively. We rarely see anything approaching a close battle to still lose, mostly it is just a straight spanking. 18 plus GL's even with non GL counters is out of our league.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Even taking those counters into consideration, and the ones I have seen on Youtube are quite hit and miss, our guild gets out matched massively. We rarely see anything approaching a close battle to still lose, mostly it is just a straight spanking. 18 plus GL's even with non GL counters is out of our league.

I get that. And I'm definitely not saying there aren't bigger issues. Just don't demoralize the whole guild and lose before you try.
  • Options
    If you're at the level with not many GLs, then you're also at the level where there is hardly any difference between win rewards and loss rewards. Just get everyone to sign up to get those loss rewards at least. It's all helping everyone to grow. After 3 or 4 losses you'll get served up a win anyway.

Yes, the mm is terrible for TW. But collecting something is better than nothing.
  • Options
    "we were matched up with another guild that had enough to field 18 GL's in the front two trenches plus whatever they needed to whitewash every single sector we had."

"We have won one single GL in the last year." (I'm guessing GL should be TW).

Sounds to me at a guess, that they're somewhere in the low/mid 200s? So........some definite benefits to winning. Unfortunately though, sounds a bit of a train wreck.
  • Options
    "we were matched up with another guild that had enough to field 18 GL's in the front two trenches plus whatever they needed to whitewash every single sector we had."

"We have won one single GL in the last year." (I'm guessing GL should be TW).

Sounds to me at a guess, that they're somewhere in the low/mid 200s? So........some definite benefits to winning. Unfortunately though, sounds a bit of a train wreck.

The only place where the wins are worth stressing over is when droid brains are up for grabs. Any lower and the difference is negligible to the point where you are better off having enough players signing up to move you up a prize bracket, then losing, rather than only having motivated players join with a chance of winning.

At 200M gp joined the difference is 1 zeta, 1 omega, about 100 of each currency, and what, 3 of each of the salvage for getting second compared to first? Where not signing up at all costs a player at least 2 zetas, 3 omegas, 1500 guild currency and 400ish GET1+2, and 7 of each salvage. Just sign up to get stuff, people!

The full sign-up will be handed a win about 1 in 5 matches anyway, from what I've seen of the mm since the change.
  • Options
    Just after I posted this thread we were finally matched up to an equivalent guild. It was a close thing and they set some solid defense but we scraped a win.

Those of us who join do so for the rewards win or lose, but it takes the fun out of the game when we are lucky to clear two trenches and we get wiped off the battle map. When we were winning one in every 6 or 8 match ups we were still pretty happy but that last losing streak wasn't nice at all as we weren't even in the battle with any chance. A bit like China eying off Australia and New Zealand, the ANZACS will always sink their teeth in but the outcome is obvious.

Anyway, this wasn't meant as a pitty thread just trying to draw attention to a glaring weak spot in the game mechanics.