Replies

• PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    PumaK wrote: »
    Yeah, other mobile games
    How can it be "EASILY coded?" Feel free to explain at a high level.

Other mobile games with smaller budgets seem more capable of accomplishing anti-cheating measures than CG. Are you suggesting a program to detect cheating is impossible for CG to accomplish? Given the bugs in the game atm you might have an argument, but incompetence isn't an excuse to continue to reward cheaters and punish honest players who never see compensation for the cheater stealing rewards from them.

What mobile games with smaller budgets are doing better anti-cheating measures

-Skullgirls
    -Tap Titans 2 (since tap Titans 1 they dessigned an easy Way to catch cheaters)
    -MMA manager
    -Mario kart tour
    -Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast

These are the apps I easily remember that have better anticheat measures, even tap Titans 1 developed it before even starting to make Some money with the app.

I'm pretty sure there's a 90% of apps on PlayStore with better anticheat system and with a lot less profit than This app from CG.

what are the budgets of each of these games

what’s CG’s budget?

Maybe only Mario kart have a bigger budget, but I Can't understand exactly the issue.

Swgoh got a revenue of 130 millions of US $ on 2021, superior to a lot of the apps i mentioned, also the apps i mentioned reinvest part of the revenue to improve the product that give the revenue.

I can understand if an indie studio with really low revenue mention the budget issue, but this isnt the same situation.

Also, swgoh is listed on top 4 revenue on RPG games on PlayStore at this moment, sorry but i cant see the budget issue.
  • TargetEadu
    1553 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Send a text log of the fight. Only need the units, their stats, the RNG seed, move/target selection, damage values, and results. With that information, battles can be re-run on thir end. If the results don't match the log, busted.

And you'll do this for every user, every battle?
    Not necessary. Only for accounts flagged as suspicious and only for GAC battles.
    Will it be logged in one file, constantly appended to? Or will each event generate a new file?
    However it makes sense in their Web service infrastructure.
    How much storage do you expect that to take per day?
    Not much. We're talking about a log of integers & alphanumeric GUIDs for a small percentage of battles not video footage for every battle fought.
    How long will each day's data be kept?
    Only as long as needed. If its clean when checked it can be discarded and the checked/clean stats updated. If it's suspect it needs to be kept around and flagged for human review.

Eh, probably should scan more than just GAC. People post about cheaters in Fleet Arena or TW all the time.

But I agree there should be a filter placed on the data or something. Like if a battle lasts under 20 seconds, or an allied unit did over 200,000 damage on an ability that shouldn’t be capable of that, or preloaded TM on characters that shouldn’t. Or some of the examples previously stated like RNG seeds.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, other mobile games

Other mobile games with smaller budgets seem more capable of accomplishing anti-cheating measures than CG. Are you suggesting a program to detect cheating is impossible for CG to accomplish? Given the bugs in the game atm you might have an argument, but incompetence isn't an excuse to continue to reward cheaters and punish honest players who never see compensation for the cheater stealing rewards from them.

-Skullgirls
    -MMA manager
    -Mario kart tour

These are the apps I easily remember that have better anticheat measures, even tap Titans 1 developed it before even starting to make Some money with the app.

I'm pretty sure there's a 90% of apps on PlayStore with better anticheat system and with a lot less profit than This app from CG.

what’s CG’s budget?

Maybe only Mario kart have a bigger budget, but I Can't understand exactly the issue.

Swgoh got a revenue of 130 millions of US $ on 2021, superior to a lot of the apps i mentioned, also the apps i mentioned reinvest part of the revenue to improve the product that give the revenue.

I can understand if an indie studio with really low revenue mention the budget issue, but this isnt the same situation.

Also, swgoh is listed on top 4 revenue on RPG games on PlayStore at this moment, sorry but i cant see the budget issue.
    He stated games with a smaller budget

But it sounds like you are assuming the budget of games based on the gross revenue made over lifetime

Makes the entire argument nonsense if the person can't provide the data to back up the claims

So far, I haven't seen a single game mentioned with a smaller budget doing better than SWGOH

or a Hero Collector game for that matter, handling cheats for SWGOH is very different than handling cheats for Mario Kart
  • zatchy
    124 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, other mobile games

-Skullgirls
    -MMA manager
    -Mario kart tour

what’s CG’s budget?

But it sounds like you are assuming the budget of games based on the gross revenue made over lifetime

Makes the entire argument nonsense if the person can't provide the data to back up the claims

So far, I haven't seen a single game mentioned with a smaller budget doing better than SWGOH

or a Hero Collector game for that matter, handling cheats for SWGOH is very different than handling cheats for Mario Kart

I’d bet handling cheats is probably significantly different for most other games, regardless of type, as clearly based on years of folks asking about it, and CG’s only public response being one person you message to on the forum, who doesn’t respond or offer updates.…they appear to have attributed next to no resources to it. So any company that is applying resources is doing something significantly different.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    zatchy wrote: »
    Yeah, other mobile games

-Skullgirls
    -MMA manager
    -Mario kart tour

what’s CG’s budget?

I’d bet handling cheats is probably significantly different for most other games, regardless of type, as clearly based on years of folks asking about it, and CG’s only public response being one person you message to on the forum, who doesn’t respond or offer updates.…they appear to have attributed next to no resources to it. So any company that is applying resources is doing something significantly different.

They're still searching for that intern.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    HokieFiend wrote: »
    Well having worked as a developer for a long time there are numerous ways they could go about it. Their priority should be securing the client side battles... they could also do some research on the tools that are being used to accomplish cheating in conjunction and see where they can tighten their own code up. They may possibly be able to decompile any of these tools though I would suspect they already know exactly how things are being manipulated and why.

It may be that the easiest way to clean it up would be to send communication back to the servers during battles. They know the rules of their game and what would be outside the bounds of possibility or suspicious. This may not catch smart cheaters though which is why securing their own client code might be more important in catching all cheats. They could have the server drive attacks if they wanted to. It might be more network overhead but is it worth it to clean cheating up in the game? With any server communication this obviously means airplane mode might take a hit... but why not give a message to the player at the end of battles to ask if they want to forfeit or confirm the end of the battle? Players have been using airplane mode for years to get around a constraint of the system that CG obviously deem fair play so why not just let the player confirm at the end of the battle?

The bottom line is that they can clean cheating up if they really had an interest.

Getting rid of the use of face book to link between different devices would help with this, however that removes the players ability move an account from iOS to android or android to iOS.

Google has built in some security over the years, for example if an APK doesn't have the proper signature it will fail when trying to use google login on a device, granted this can be worked around however it is not as simple as install an "APK" link and go, which is what is being done now and made easier because of the use of facebook linking.

Android being open source and allowing the side loading of apps, greatly reduces the security that can be used to ensure the app is a correct one. The back and forth between the game server and the game is nothing but RPC calls using protobuffs, so adding anything in there for security could be spoofed.

CG definitely has some auto monitoring tools for banning accounts as my alt is still banned from so testing i did for my bot, it was my fault as I sent the wrong info across the wire, but it picked it up and banned the account in about 10 minutes and I still haven't gotten it unbanned.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    zatchy wrote: »
    Yeah, other mobile games

-Skullgirls
    -MMA manager
    -Mario kart tour

what’s CG’s budget?

They're still searching for that intern.
    They should recruit an intern to handle that. ;)