Datacrons or a hamster wheel?

Prev1
Having had a play with Datacrons, all I can surmise from their insertion into this game is that it is the equivalent of dropping a hamster wheel into a cage and turning it around every 3 months. It doesn't take the hamster's frustration away, it just re-directs to an opposing nowhere!

It's a way of providing some small level of amusement, for a price without actually having to provide anything and if it's broken, hell, they don't even have to bother fixing it, because it fixes itself in 2/3 months. How do we get players to run back and forth, on a temporary basis, going absolutely nowhere, parting with their money and get them thinking this is a great idea? .......**DATACRONS**

Oh, and it's not strictly a completely separate in-game economy for Datacrons is it? In fact, it lasted two levels of my first Datacron before pointing me to the TAB where you can part with other precious resources already earmarked to plug the desperate and seemingly invincble gear crunch which evidently from the road ahead CG has completely forgotten about.

But how do we get this to work?? Ummm a HARD SELL?? CG put more effort into this single aspect than I've ever seen in an entire previous road ahead. They clearly need this narrative to work, because they simply have little else to offer?

I can not for the life of me get excited about Datacrons. The Conquest has dropped and I will now eek my way through the drudgery that is conquest. Let's see what this accumulates in terms of Datacron resources. I fear however this will be another MOD slicing scenario of 20 hours of effort, for materials that might give us half a Datacron, one which will likely need a re-roll and by the time you are ready to apply will be nearing its expiration date anyhow.

A lot of people say I dont understand Datacrons. I do understand them...... unfortunately.

In my humble opinion, the biggest urge to spend comes from the excitement of playing a particular piece of content and wanting to advance. But if you don't create that excitement, then people have no reason or desire to spend.

Replies

• harvestmouse
    894 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

In my humble opinion, the biggest urge to spend comes from the excitement of playing a particular piece of content and wanting to advance. But if you don't create that excitement, then people have no reason or desire to spend.

Don't datacrons do this though? I'm sure everybody is curious about using them.

It looked to me that there was a sudden spike in GAC burn out at the end of 5v5. It appeared a lot of the big whales needed a break.

I guess we hit new GAC hard and running. Doing our homework every week and it was starting to catch up.

It looks to me that CG are aware of this and are trying to add some variety. 3v3, omicrons, datacrons, conquest units...

I'm not saying I like all these ideas, but they definitely add variety.
  • Options

It looked to me that there was a sudden spike in GAC burn out at the end of 5v5. It appeared a lot of the big whales needed a break.

I guess we hit new GAC hard and running. Doing our homework every week and it was starting to catch up.

It looks to me that CG are aware of this and are trying to add some variety. 3v3, omicrons, datacrons, conquest units...

I've not seen any thank you letters posted to CG from Krackons and whales. But ill keep my eyes open.
  • Options

I've not seen any thank you letters posted to CG from Krackons and whales. But ill keep my eyes open.

That's silly, krakens given credit card numbers not thank you letters.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    All the recent changes are meant to minimize CG involvement while maximizing spending. The GAC changes meant that the players will now provide the obstacles (and motivation to spend) themselves and all CG has to do is shake things up once in a while. Now they introduced an automated shake-up system. They basically set up the autopilot and can let it run until the whales get bored. After all, they have another franchise to milk now...
  • mikk207
    242 posts Member
    Options
    looks like it. cg will leave it on auto pilot for 3 month even if datacrons are broken. they just minimize the work on swgoh
  • Options
    I wouldn’t say 3v3 increased the desire to play GAC. That is a terrible observation. It was total crap and most players hated except for a small minority.
    Datacons are not the new content the players were looking for or even asking for. I think most people will go bare minimum on this. It’s not exciting or interesting at all watching the clock click down on all your loot.
  • Options
    IronCross wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say 3v3 increased the desire to play GAC. That is a terrible observation. It was total crap and most players hated except for a small minority..

I never said that.

I know you hate 3v3, and I kind of agree with you.

What I said was 'I think CG saw that things were getting stale and they have done a few things to mix it up a bit.'

I in no way am saying what they have done is popular or not popular.
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options
    Can be see as a hamster wheel, but to be more specific, each time one of those where you put resources get recicled, the return it's a small portion of what you invested. So, start as a hamster wheel, and recicled return you a 25% of that wheel, so if you want to invest on other you're lacking a 75% of the wheel
  • Options

Again see my above response. I'm not endorsing or feel that the changes have been popular. Just that it's mixing things up.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    It's literally been two days and you haven't even USED a datacron yet. Cool down your hot take.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    It's literally been two days and you haven't even USED a datacron yet. Cool down your hot take.

I will use one once i have required the free materials for it. Im not blowing resources on it.

i do understand some people are easily pleased.
  • Options
    I was pro datacron before... now?? not so much, u need a lot of datacrons, i thought that u could use the same datacron on other teams, boy i was wrong
  • IronCross
    934 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    tw95587jghc0.jpeg
    PumaK wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say 3v3 increased the desire to play GAC. That is a terrible observation. It was total crap and most players hated except for a small minority.
    Is it your job to pass your opinion off as fact?

And it's Your job to tell anyone what it's able or not to post here???
    I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying.

He can post what he likes, but when he (repeatedly) makes a baseless claim that the majority of the player base hate 3v3, he will be challenged on it.

Unless you’re telling me I’m not allowed to post that?

Watch out everyone! Here come the opinion police to tell what can believe or say…

It’s a fact that an overwhelming major dislike 3v3 in poll after poll whether it be in Discord servers or on Reddit.
    1) show your working. Where are these polls? How many participated? What proportion of the player base do they represent? What question was asked? Please share the evidence you have used to formulate your claim.

2) I will not police your opinion. I’ll correct you when you spout baseless claims as “facts”. I’d have hoped you’d understand the difference between you not liking 3v3 and the “majority of the player base hating 3v3”. One of those statements you are entitled to make without correction. The other, you are not.

Where’s your proof to refute my fact that 3v3 is disliked by a majority of people. Just because you like it doesn’t mean most people do.
  • Options
    So over 1000 voted with 61% hating it, 19% liking it and 18% didn’t care.
  • twstdbydsn
    1101 posts Member
    Options
    I don't hate it. And didn't participate in the survey.
  • MilHanso
    292 posts Member
    Options
    tw95587jghc0.jpeg
    PumaK wrote: »
    Is it your job to pass your opinion off as fact?

And it's Your job to tell anyone what it's able or not to post here???
    I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying.

He can post what he likes, but when he (repeatedly) makes a baseless claim that the majority of the player base hate 3v3, he will be challenged on it.

Unless you’re telling me I’m not allowed to post that?

Watch out everyone! Here come the opinion police to tell what can believe or say…

It’s a fact that an overwhelming major dislike 3v3 in poll after poll whether it be in Discord servers or on Reddit.
    1) show your working. Where are these polls? How many participated? What proportion of the player base do they represent? What question was asked? Please share the evidence you have used to formulate your claim.

2) I will not police your opinion. I’ll correct you when you spout baseless claims as “facts”. I’d have hoped you’d understand the difference between you not liking 3v3 and the “majority of the player base hating 3v3”. One of those statements you are entitled to make without correction. The other, you are not.

Where’s your proof to refute my fact that 3v3 is disliked by a majority of people. Just because you like it doesn’t mean most people do.

I like 3x3! :D
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • Options

The majority of the player base thought the poll was a joke.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

I will use one once i have required the free materials for it. Im not blowing resources on it.

No you won’t. You’ll use one when there’s a Territory War or Grand Arena because those are the only places they can be used right now.

If you aren’t even aware that they can’t be used yet, how valid is the rest of your criticism?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options

And this poll did not come to the same conclusion 🤷‍♂️

jcj92doqubbm.jpeg

It’s not even a majority, let alone an overwhelming one and this isn’t even taking into account the sampling bias which tends to plague these sorts of surveys/polls.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    All the recent changes are meant to minimize CG involvement while maximizing spending. The GAC changes meant that the players will now provide the obstacles (and motivation to spend) themselves and all CG has to do is shake things up once in a while. Now they introduced an automated shake-up system. They basically set up the autopilot and can let it run until the whales get bored. After all, they have another franchise to milk now...

This 100%. This ensures that players spend to get an edge over their peers without CG having to do any real extra work. Additional progression systems are designed by CG to artificially create competition between players without any real purpose other than fear of being behind.

Datacrons get released. The mega whales spend to get as many as possible to boost their squads. As a consequence, others are compelled to also spend/invest in them because they fear they'd fall behind otherwise. This goes down the "food chain" until most players feel the need to invest in them to keep up. Since they are exclusively PVP, there is no real purpose to invest in them. In theory, the whole community could just decide to collectively not use Datacrons at all, and literally nothing would change. This is just artificially created competition for the sake of competition (and for revenue's sake for CG). Players are only "forced" to invest into Datacrons because others did. If they worked in TB and/or Conquest, then this would be a different story, but they don't. But since they are only for PVP, it's simply just a cash grab, nothing else.
  • Options
    Why hate on 3v3 when you can hate on 3v3 with datacrons?
  • Options
    Hates too strong a word. I don't hate it, I don't mind it actually. However, I don't want to be doing it in GAC. I wish it'd go away. This, I think is a general popular feeling.

I'd quite like a new arena with 3v3.........that you could call in reserves like ships, until it went up to 6v6!
  • Options
    A majority of players that live at my address don't like 3v3. The same group of players think that datacrons will make GAC and TW less fun and more stressful. Surveys of this group also indicate that this particular majority of players prefer collecting things that they get to keep instead of things that disappear after having spent scarce resources and time acquiring and refining them.

The above mentioned group may not be representative of all players.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • MrRandyWatson
    261 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @DarjeloSalas Im not a statistical expert but I can tell you’re not either. From my experience that’s a very reasonable sample (Swgoh players, knowledge of GAC in general, familiar with 3v3 and 5v5). If we’re talking about the people spending on the game the. we’d need to know demographic data (age, income, location, etc) but that would be largely irrelevant here as long as players understand 3v3 as a concept. What more data could u possibly want from a sample to determine if the data can be considered a representative sample? Do you think the survey would yield more accurate results if it was aimed at non-GAC players that don’t know what 3v3 is and don’t play swgoh?
    As far as sample size, 1000 players is more than enough to determine statistical significance in the example
  • Options
    The survey was rigged
  • Options
    I don't think it was rigged. I voted 'Na', but I don't hate 3v3. I just don't want to play it instead of 5v5, especially using the same skill points.
  • Options
    1000 would be plenty large if it had no sampling bias.
  • Options
    Did CG forget that they made Starkiller? That he needs 2 LS, 2 DS members? His team can't even enjoy the full benefits of a datacron thanks to their binary light/dark system.

WHY DID YOU DO THIS CG? Datacrons are for GAC. Starkiller's best mode is GAC. Starkiller's team can't use datacrons in GAC to their full impact. Frankly you're punishing Bounty Hunters as well. I don't understand it. It's not like Starkiller is an old unit. He's quite new. So many aspects of these datacrons are messed up and we're not even able to use them in battle yet :joy: