Returning Player

Just coming back to the game since 2018 and since I've been back I have seen quite a bit of doom posting. The game is dying, the game is gonna be shut down, the devs don't care anymore. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to jump back in or not.

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    It is. The only time people aren’t saying a game is dead/dying is when it’s already dead. The Star Wars fandom is pretty toxic in general, add a video game to it and GOOD NIGHT.

Play. If you have fun, keep playing. If you’re not feeling it, put it down. It’s your life—don’t waste time on things you don’t like if you don’t have to!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    It's pretty negative right now. I haven't used these forums for long, but this is as negative as I've seen it (game wide).

TBH though, I think the game is a much better game than in 2018. There's a lot more to do and more depth.
  • Options
    Seeing Datacons and R9 upon returning to the game:
    get-out-sunken.gif

Advice from the forums:
    run-away-scar.gif

IMHO, it depends how competitive you are. If you can just enjoy the game where you are, I say stay and enjoy the ride/dumpster fire; bring popcorn. If you want to be at the top of Kyber 1... I don't know with that kind of a gap that any amount of spending could catch you up at this point.
  • Options
    Seeing Datacons and R9 upon returning to the game:
    get-out-sunken.gif

Advice from the forums:
    run-away-scar.gif

IMHO, it depends how competitive you are. If you can just enjoy the game where you are, I say stay and enjoy the ride/dumpster fire; bring popcorn. If you want to be at the top of Kyber 1... I don't know with that kind of a gap that any amount of spending could catch you up at this point.

I'm not competitive at all, I play most if not all games for the story, pve, etc. Yeah I knew that coming back there would be no catching up, I started in 2017 and I couldn't even catch up then lol. But in the same right, I am finding myself enjoying the game again, but don't want to get heavily invested again if its just gonna be shut down in a month. Ya know? The only reason I say that is because I've seen several posts, tweets, videos about how the game is making like no money. So yeah. Thank you for the kind reply.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    It is. The only time people aren’t saying a game is dead/dying is when it’s already dead. The Star Wars fandom is pretty toxic in general, add a video game to it and GOOD NIGHT.

Play. If you have fun, keep playing. If you’re not feeling it, put it down. It’s your life—don’t waste time on things you don’t like if you don’t have to!

Thanks for the kind reply, guess i'll just have to wait and see!!
  • Options
    SWGOH is in the top 10 highest grossing games in the App Store right now. It's number 10, but for a 7 year old game, I'd say they're no where near shutting the game down - they're probably making more now net in terms of profit to investment than when the game launched.
  • Cgsmom
    7 posts Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    SWGOH is in the top 10 highest grossing games in the App Store right now. It's number 10, but for a 7 year old game, I'd say they're no where near shutting the game down - they're probably making more now net in terms of profit to investment than when the game launched.

Yh but they are working on lord of the rings game which literally means after that they gonna ditch SWGOH they can see all the negativity we giving just like it happened on bf2 and dice ditched it to work on battlefield if i were u whatever u spent now I’d refund asap
  • Options
    ]
    The only reason I say that is because I've seen several posts, tweets, videos about how the game is making like no money. So yeah. Thank you for the kind reply.

Well some context here (siding with the establishment a bit).

The major antagonist (as you know from the video hint) is AhnaldT101

He and CG, do not get along (mostly CG's fault from what I have seen).

There's 3 main points here:

1. There's been a lot of of bad stuff with the game fairly recently, and you can't deny that. CG, continually deal with the bad stuff badly. There's no denying that in my opinion.

2. So there was a post on Reddit? showing the top 10 gacha game earners in the US. SWGOH was only 10. From that AhnaldT101 made a video with his mate (I have zero respect for his mate btw, just total clickbait content) made a video on what a bad situation the game is in. There's no real context of what that actually means. Yes, it's doing a lot worse than its most direct competitor (MSF) and that's bad. However, being the 10th biggest selling gacha game in the US means what? Earnings still look pretty good, but the games under-performing from what I see.

3. On the forums, there seems to be one major issue of malcontent and that's 'gear crunch'. Again on Reddit? somebody posted about going to the CG booth at the Star Wars convention thing recently and asking about the gear crunch. The CG staff replied 'We're done, we've initiated what we promised.' The visitor then showed them a forum post where they promised a lot more. Again Ahnald championed this, and it feels now it's become a flaming bandwagon. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have the outcry without the above.

From what I understood, listening to Crumb on streams was that they'd put in to place procedures until they were happy with the gear situation. For me, I really don't have much of a problem with the older gear, not like before anyway. Maybe I'm just used to being short and now I'm not, I feel ok about it. I don't know.

I do remember Crumb saying that they really didn't want to do too much at one time as it would have a knock on effect. So they'd do a little and then see how things were. For me the mk3 - 5 gear really isn't much of an issue.

So regarding the main martyr Ahnaldt101. He is by far the most popular streamer. However, he and CG are now not on speaking terms. I watch and enjoy a lot of his streams (not so much the videos), personally I think they're awesome. After the new GAC was launched, Ahnald was super positive and excited. He in a lot of ways is like a puppy dog. However, towards the end of the last 5v5, you could see the interest was going. He wasn't positive, didn't seem to care and was just bored of it.

So either his interest has gone, or something has happened (in game or personal) to him. This is reflected in his recent content.

I hope this gives you some context (from my neutral point of view) of the current situation.
  • Options
    In spite of all the negativity and doom and gloom, I enjoy the game.
    Is CG doing a good job on development and content? Imo, no.
    But I play the game the way I want and I collect the toons I like.

In spite of all the negative stuff about the Inquisitors fir example, I dropped all other farms to focus on them because I think the faction is cool and have wanted them in game for a long time.

If you play the game your way and don't worry to much about everything that is happening in the ether, it's worth it. If not....move on.
  • LordDirt
    5008 posts Member
    Options
    I would say it is worth playing but not paying.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    I’m am completely free to play, I have not spent a pretty penny on this game, and I’ve been playing on this acc for about 8 months. I enjoy playing it, but the grind is a little annoying. Play it if you enjoy it and stop if you don’t is what I say
  • PumaK
    301 posts Member
    Options
    Well, they added a even more evident P2W mechanic called Ratacrons (added to all the Other already P2W mechanics and high overpriced packs) .

The only good thing about this app it's the license, but on QoL, communication, player friendly and support the app it's lacking a lot.

That's the first app I ever see where the Devs refuse to work on PvE content because of this excuse : "players can beat it on short time"
    Yeah, to resume, a complete lack of respect for the playerbase and customers.