I wish I didn't care ... but I do

Parataxic
27 posts Member
edited June 2022
Dear CG,

It's been a while since I've written. Probably 5 or 6 years. I gave up on communicating. The lack of response was deafening. Simultaneously, I've largely enjoyed the game. Most of what you've done has been good enough. Sure, there have been bumps along the road but for the most part when people were upset I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what goes into making a game like this and I can't see the big picture. It generally worked out.

I'm writing now because a few weeks into datacrons I'm not sure I feel that way anymore.

So, I've got some stuff to get off my chest. I know that it's unlikely anyone on your end is reading, responding or to be frank, caring. It's easy to write that off in terms of sheer volume. How could you respond to all the messages that people write.

But let's be honest, if you wanted to you, you could. The dynamics of parent-child remain. The lack of transparency in spite of numerous messages indicating transparency is telling. For example, with the leak around datacrons you could have said this was a data leak and yes more is coming and you'll be in touch soon. Instead, you hid behind a comment about development and that there is a lot of testing. Then they came out a few months later.

Mostly, of course the players are to blame. We enable you to continue on like this. We spend money while we complain. Certainly, I've been guilty of this. Maybe I'll continue to be, who knows. But that's a tangent, my focus is datacrons.

While people probably smarter than me have assured me that they will make for a more interesting game and maintain the same balance, so far, my experience has been that they essentially have created the ultimate pay to win situation. What they seem to have done is erase years of careful modding, including farming, working on layouts and ideal teams to maximize the toons you have created.

Now, we wind up with bonuses on certain toons that negate counters that have been devotedly and painstakingly honed. We have large stat bonuses that can swing battles. Teams that were once reliable are no longer sure things. You'll say that there are datacrons that will counter the counters and that may be true.

But you're asking us to invest in these counters and figure them out knowing that they expire in a period of time. Moreover, there is no acknowledgement or appreciate of the work we had already put into the game. So yes, you can shift the meta reliably now but I don't think that is really what the players wanted. Maybe a more diverse meta (remember that time you talked about rock paper scissor - it seems now more like we have a random chaotic landslide of things) but not this.

So, in essence you want us to invest considerable time (it's interesting that datacrons are usable in arena but omicrons are not) and also money (I'm looking forward to the packs that will soon drop) into a system that is meant to change.

In some ways, I admire the brilliance of the datacrons. They are a series of blackholes that are meant to get us to give more money. It's the ultimate in exploitation. Sure, there will be some who say that the theory crafting is worth it. I believe it. For them it will be. But I think there is also a considerable player base who might agree with me that this is not wanted and creates a situation where the time and money that you are asking us to put into the game not only negates the time and money we have put into the game but is simply not worth it.

On your end, you'll say this is the long wished for fruition of the initial mods (I was playing at the time for that btw - it was as hysterical a mess as it was reported to be) but it's your wish and not mine. I wanted content, or something other than GAC, GC, TW or TB.

I'll continue to play and support the game - I've invested a lot of time and money. Moreover, there is a community of players I enjoy relating too. You've also in my mind earned the benefit of the doubt. But what you've earned has now been spent on datacrons. So, it's a new world and a new relationship.

-Yama

Post edited by Ultra on

Replies

This discussion has been closed.