Kyber 1 Shrinking?

Prev1345
RodFarva34
23 posts Member
edited November 2022
2 seasons ago ended with a score of 3864 and started next season 89 points lower at 3775. Last season ended at 3804 and starting this season at 3724.

That's 2 wins per season being taken away when it's a struggle to go 5 and 4.

Curious if others are seeing this in Kyber 1.
Post edited by RodFarva34 on

Replies

• Drathuk916
    635 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Kyber 1 is much smaller. Iirc around 16k people started in kyber 1 in season 1. It’s less than 6k now. Overall participation was down by 25ish k the last time I saw any numbers in end of May/early June from 343k to 315-20 k off the top of my head. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t considerably lower than 300k now
  • Options
    Take it back. Found numbers for the start of last season 308,905 accounts according to swgoh events. Much better than I thought. However only 5147 in k1 and 11168 In k2. 49149 in k1-5. Iirc kyber was 88k in season one.
  • oXXo
    17 posts Member
    Options
    Me the same now 76 Points las Season 100 Points less. So my counter goes always down and the Opponent’s are same or stronger. Why always squeez again and again?
  • Lumiya
    1504 posts Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same in Aurodium. Stronger opponents etc. Not funny at all
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    WAI. Less rewards is what they want
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    That's weird, I immediately started earning more crystals than sharing 1-2 in arena as soon as they launched GAC, and nothing's changed for me the whole time. If they want me to earn less they're doing a bad job of it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Lumiya
    1504 posts Member
    Options
    IronCross wrote: »
    WAI. Less rewards is what they want

Exactly. The more people fall down the less they have to give out.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    That's weird, I immediately started earning more crystals than sharing 1-2 in arena as soon as they launched GAC, and nothing's changed for me the whole time. If they want me to earn less they're doing a bad job of it.

Apparently we are examples of 5,147 as noted from above in K1. Not sure what the cut off was for better than before but pushing more out the of the top is definitely reducing the “better than before” club.
  • Options
    I think the cutoff for 1st every day with 1 refresh was K2 or K3 at 50/50 win rate.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I calculated k4 but that was sharing first with one other person and a refresh.

Lots of wiggle room for someone like me who has been in low k1 nearly all the time.

• TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    Oh that was also in the beginning when the season was five weeks instead of the four it is now. I think it should be similar now though.
  • Options
    Iirc it was in between k3-4. K4 if you needed a refresh to hit 1st and k3 if you didn’t. Most long term players getting 1st are now getting more crystals. That all said, the trend of kyber shrinking from 80k plus in end of March to under 50k by 10/12 is worrisome. It appears that most of the participants leaving gac are in k1-5 and I would assume k1-5 represents the bulk but not all of the revenue cg gets.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    That's the "skill squish" or whatever they call it. Basically a system that causes you to fall even with 50/50 win rate so you have to outgrow and outspend your peers just to keep your position.
  • oXXo
    17 posts Member
    Options
    For what we getting then the Points? We loose Points if we lost and we get if we win. So why always squeeze down. @CG can you explain please!
  • Options
    I called this after the first season and at the time supporters of this system claimed the shrink was just to keep the division sizes constant. Here we are.

I don't mind or care anymore, I'll always be somewhere in k1-2-3. There comes matches sometime that's neck to neck which I enjoy...rarely. I'll take that and make do.
  • Options
    In my opinion, K1 was way too big when GAC 2.0 started. Whether or not it is still too big is also a matter of opinion.

I don't recall anyone saying it would keep the division sizes constant. At least for my part, as a "supporter", I assumed the squish was so CG could adjust the division sizes as they saw fit--i.e. the opposite of keeping them constant. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, what I have never been a supporter of is CG's lack of communication regarding the squish.
  • Lumiya
    1504 posts Member
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    That's the "skill squish" or whatever they call it. Basically a system that causes you to fall even with 50/50 win rate so you have to outgrow and outspend your peers just to keep your position.

But that doesn't work either. I have gained 3 good teams in a short amount of time, I should at least keep my position or even climb a bit, yet this is the 2nd GAC season I am now 1 division lower. It doesn't help that my brackets are filled with accounts that are bigger than mine, have at least 1 GL more and actually would belong in K5 or 4, which at this point is the norm. So it's not just the squish, wich of course pushes them further down, but also less participation in 3v3, lack of participation in general, sandbagging etc.
  • Lumiya
    1504 posts Member
    Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    I called this after the first season and at the time supporters of this system claimed the shrink was just to keep the division sizes constant. Here we are.

I don't mind or care anymore, I'll always be somewhere in k1-2-3. There comes matches sometime that's neck to neck which I enjoy...rarely. I'll take that and make do.

Haha dito.
  • Options
    The goal to keep division/league sizes constant was set by CG, not some forumers, though:
    qtqdut3by9jl.png
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/251844/developer-q-a-grand-arena-championship-changes-12-02/p1

If they are still trying to keep up with that goal, the conclusion would be that the overall GAC population has been shrinking.
  • StarSon
    7472 posts Member
    Options
    The goal to keep division/league sizes constant was set by CG, not some forumers, though:
    qtqdut3by9jl.png
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/251844/developer-q-a-grand-arena-championship-changes-12-02/p1

If they are still trying to keep up with that goal, the conclusion would be that the overall GAC population has been shrinking.

We know that the population has been shrinking, so there's that.
  • Options
    Don't think the overall gac population has shrunk to a third of the original population. It would be nice to know how they determine the reduction in skill points at the end of every season.
  • StarSon
    7472 posts Member
    Options
    RodFarva34 wrote: »
    Don't think the overall gac population has shrunk to a third of the original population. It would be nice to know how they determine the reduction in skill points at the end of every season.

Last post I saw on reddit had it around 300k, which is down from the 420k at the launch of GAC2.
  • Options
    Skill squish is responsible for shrinking K1. The skill rating is fixed between players, what I win you lose for net zero.

Then, end of season, K1 players lose 80-200 skill rating. The floor remains static. I went 5-4 last season and I think I dropped 70ish skill. To remain at the same skill rating I'd have to 6-3 or better.

I honestly think that CG isn't really aware of the effect of skill squish, at least the public facing employees.
  • Options
    If this info is true:
    "Iirc around 16k people started in kyber 1 in season 1. It’s less than 6k now." by @Drathuk916
    Sorry but you can't explain away the change in sizes simply by quitters.
  • Options
    U guys know the reason for the srinking, get rid of DCs. Till that is resolved, this is a whale game and not a skill game. Wonder how long would it take for CG to admit and figure it out
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    If this info is true:
    "Iirc around 16k people started in kyber 1 in season 1. It’s less than 6k now." by @Drathuk916
    Sorry but you can't explain away the change in sizes simply by quitters.

Not entirely clear what you’re taking exception too. First season had around 343k according to swgoh.gg. I forget the poster before Scott over there but you can find it yourself. So around 34kish fewer accounts are signing up each season. Kyber league has shrunk from 88k to under 50k. So yes obviously not all accounts that have quit were in kyber league. However I certainly believe more than half of the accounts that no longer signup were in kyber league. This still leaves a sizable amount of accounts to be demoted through inactive play but still signing up and to much much lesser extent poor players being pushed out of kyber.

I agree the squish has had an intended effect of pushing people out of kyber or more correctly making it more difficult for players from aurodium to play well enough to replace those playing badly enough in kyber who earn a demotion. But I don’t think it is larger than the effect of quitting players is having.
  • Options
    The squish does not push people out of kyber, down to aurodium.

Here are players in k4 and k5:
    qundomb6ki4u.jpg
    y5s2jiqcmys5.jpg

They got an increase in points from the squish.

The squish happens to everyone in a league, and pushes them towards the middle of division 3 of their league. The same points get applied to every player on a given skill rating. The players around you do not get changed by the squish. Your matchups are unaffected by the squish.

If you are near the boundary of your division you may get moved. Some div4 and div5 players would have been moved up.

It doesn't nullify your wins, as your score is only used to compare you to other players, all subject to the squish too.
  • Options
    To the main point of the thread, comparing the size of k1 in the very first (new)gac is pointless. Everyone got assigned a league and division based purely on gp. There were too many in k1 at that time. They shifted the division boundaries at least once to fix that, maybe they've moved them again too?

K1 should be about 2% of active players. Each league is 20% of players, div1 is 10% of that. I haven't seen anything to indicate this has been changed.
  • Options
    It does nullify wins and eventually will push me and my matchups out of kyber 1. Kyber 1 score is still 3610. I'm still matched up with peers that I will go 50/50 against and at the end of the season we all get pushed down basically 2 wins.