Best tank for Emperor Palpatine: Royal Guard or Shoretrooper?

gufu21
335 posts Member
edited December 2022
TL;DR: Is RG or Shore better with EP overall?

So I currently use Shoretrooper to round out my Iden team (which makes two tanks; Stormtrooper is there also). But I've also had some instances where I really could have used a good tank for my EP team (with EP, Vader, Mara, Thrawn, and flexible 5th—Gideon, Tarkin, or a tank).

My first thought was to gear up Magmatrooper to free up Shore for EP. But then looked at the royal guard I haven't touched since I started the game. Since RG's rework, who now is actually the better tank for EP overall? (Assume we're talking about g11/12 characters generally and no GLs.)

A few thoughts I've had:
  • Magma's TMR, damage, and tenacity boost could be nice on Iden's team. But since I use my Omi Iden for defense in GAC, maybe double tanks is better?
  • Gearing Magma would make 11 usable troopers (assuming Gideon goes elsewhere). If I don't end up needing Shore with EP, that's one trooper sitting on the bench.
  • RG's kit has some perks (stun, retribution, autotaunt). But Shore's pretaunt is huge (e.g., to soak up Padme's kick).

(I think I've explained the situation, but in case there are roster questions: https://swgoh.gg/p/231132792/.)

Which would you choose in this situation? Do I gear Magma or RG? Or something I'm not thinking of?
Post edited by gufu21 on

Replies

• Options
    Honestly, I would do both. Just having the flexibility of being able to put magma into an Iden lineup is huge, but if you don't have the gear to, then rg is the better tank for ep lineup cause of reactive taunt, tons of buffs/debuffs, and just being annoying.
  • Options
    FYI, RG is also needed to unlock SEE, if that makes any difference for you.