Yoda vs Sidious (AoE and in general)

ModeratusImperialis
353 posts Member
edited April 2016
Been levelling up and gearing up Yoda in the last 24 hours because he is a fun character and because I was thinking he might do a good job in my Arena team. He is soon to be gear level IX, level 73 but his abilities are not totally up to par yet with the Three usables at rank 5 (but should all be 6 come reset tonight).

Current team is:
7* Qui-Gon (L) VIII
6* Rey VIII
7* Sidious VIII
7* Luminara VIII
7* Geonosian Soldier IX

Now I was thinking of drafting Grand Master Yoga Pants in instead of Sidious. Ole Sid has been a valued servant and has been in my arena team almost non stop since I got him either as leader or as a regular member. Like I imagine he has for a lot of people. But now I was thinking of trying something new out and Yoda does seem to fit the bill nicely with the tools that he brings. I still enjoy Sid. I think he does good enough damage, he self heals, he dodges Jedi and he has an AoE that while sometimes dangerous can also sometimes come quite in handy. Mostly against Droid teams where I can finish off IG-88 whilst still hitting the other four.

The pros of Yoda aren't to be scoffed at neither. He brings a lot of utility to the yard. But question is how does his attack stack up against Sidious'. Is his AoE anywhere near as hard hitting? Certainly at rank 5 and against challenge units it doesn't seem to be hitting that hard.

It is now that I ask 'what would Johnny Weismuller do?' but since he isn't around I'll ask all you other fine gentlemen and gentleladies. Or whichever more or less endearing term you prefer.

Replies

• DV_27
    967 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As someone who fights your team nearly every day or second day, I would definitely say yoda in for Sid. Sid just doesn't have the potency at high levels to be that useful anymore. His dodges against Jedi are awesome but his life is so low that you only need one non Jedi in your team and he's still very easy to deal with. I think he would be the best one to replace hey. On defense it's luck of the draw as to who yoda uses UF on, sometimes if he does in on qgj or someone fast then that's teams whole plan needs to change. And on offense using BM straight away is an insane opening move against teams with dooku phasma daka and such. Yoda is epic. Go for it :)

Edit- oh and about his hitting ability. The problem isn't his power but his crit chance. He has the lowest crit chance in the game so he very rarely crits. But the base damage he does is still good except for the aoe move. His UF move does about 4,5-5k non crit and on the rare ocassions when it does crit it's about 8k. His basic does about 3k. Not the best in the world but seeing as how it's used mostly to keep him on foresight it's still great. The aoe only does about 2-2,5k so it isn't much but you don't really use that often unless there's a buff you really need to steal or if you trying to finish someone off when there's a taunt. Those damage amounts are at max abilities.
    The hits aren't the greatest but it's his entire kit that's makes him excellent. Foresight on basic, UF to reduce TM or stun someone if needed and BM for the tenacity up. It's just great. Anyway these are my thoughts on it. Good luck moderatus!
  • Options
    @DV_27, thanks from this side too for the summary. I have a 7 star Yoda, maxed gear but only lvl 3 abilities as I was not sure about spending so many purples on him. I really didn't have a place for him right now but was wondering about his AoE. Seems he's still not a good fit for me and my roster of toons. I lack GS but otherwise I agree that Yoda seems a better fit for @ModeratusImperialis and his QGJ led team. Much better synergy than Sid.
  • Options
    Thanks for chiming in the both of you! Especially interesting to hear from you @DV_27 seeing as you know first hand how my team works. I actually tried out Yoda for my last battle yesterday. Don't think I used him entirely properly as I for some reason often confuse what it is his abilities do :# . But he is a bit like Sid only with more utility and as you say @Azraelrulez he has more synergy. I've buffed his AoE to rank 7 and it does okay damage so far albeit only tried in challenge mode. Yoda is here to stay. At least until the new meta hits.

Speaking of that last battle it was of course against @Tony167 . Your squad was definetly beatable before but I had three battles against you yesterday after your "Level 74 precrafted Godhood" truly kicked in. Holy moly Batman it just got real. Failed to even come close. Well at least I've got a wee bit of precraftedness coming up myself in a day or two. But then I'll have to change my composition to fit in Daka and maybe even an understarred (5*) Royal Guard. Time will tell. But by then maybe the meta has changed too much and something different will be needed to be built.

Much appreciate your feedback peeps!
  • Options
    Happy reporting that Yoda is still kicking it in my squad post balance update. Not really missing Sidious. Didn't realize how completely Yoda neutralizes Dookus threat level. Yeah you might still get dodges but there are no stuns and that is half the game changer.

I'm not on board with everyone else who says Yoda isn't good anymore. Mine hits for relatively good amounts still and his utility is still awesomesauce.