Best way to obtain marquee characters

So far, the only thing I've purchased has been the $50 hyperdrive bundle. But I really like Cal Kestis and would love to unlock the hero's journey of him at the first release. What is the best way to spend crystals to 7-star a newly released marquee character?

Replies

• LordDirt
    5008 posts Member
    Options
    So far, the only thing I've purchased has been the $50 hyperdrive bundle. But I really like Cal Kestis and would love to unlock the hero's journey of him at the first release. What is the best way to spend crystals to 7-star a newly released marquee character?

He will cost you hundreds of dollars to get at first release.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    a7jkj6zlt41y.jpeg
  • Winterwolves
    1729 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

This will be a heroes journey, so be always available once released. It's not a legendary, like GI, which waits a year to go to the journey guide, and pops back when cg feels like it between initial release and journey guide permanancy.

No massive rush. Unless you are meaning day 1. Then yes, about US$300 per marquee to go straight to 7* is the last I heard.

Edit: yeah, I was wrong about that. Not permanent straight away.
    Post edited by Winterwolves on
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

This will be a heroes journey, so be always available once released. It's not a legendary, like GI, which waits a year to go to the journey guide, and pops back when cg feels like it between initial release and journey guide permanancy.

No massive rush. Unless you are meaning day 1. Then yes, about US$300 per marquee to go straight to 7* is the last I heard.

Actually not sure we can say that with any certainty. Hero's Journey characters have historically had the same cadence as Legendary events. Not sure how BAM was phrased, but SK and Aphra are Legacy events, which are a little different.

Edit: Actually, I found it. They specifically called it out and said BAM was different when he was announced, so I think we should be prepared for Cal to follow the old cadence.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/239115/state-of-the-galaxy-december-2020
    Unlike other Hero’s Journeys, this special event will immediately be available in the Journey Guide forever.
  • Options
    Everyone just says throw money. I get that. But that isn’t my question. What mechanism do you use? Do you buy the character shards in the store? What do you actually purchase? What packs? Or do you save it for if they release a limited time shard pickup on a pedi fix type of energy or something.
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone just says throw money. I get that. But that isn’t my question. What mechanism do you use? Do you buy the character shards in the store? What do you actually purchase? What packs? Or do you save it for if they release a limited time shard pickup on a pedi fix type of energy or something.

For the fastest way: buy crystals and use those crystals for the marquee packs upon release. I believe this takes about 45k crystals?
    Second fastest way: buy crystals and get from shipments when added there. This costs 27k crystals.
    Normal (slowest) way: wait for node farming and then farm. $0, but you're at the mercy of drop rates and energy/attempt restrictions.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

For the fastest way: buy crystals and use those crystals for the marquee packs upon release. I believe this takes about 45k crystals?
    Second fastest way: buy crystals and get from shipments when added there. This costs 27k crystals.
    Normal (slowest) way: wait for node farming and then farm. $0, but you're at the mercy of drop rates and energy/attempt restrictions.

Thanks!
  • Options
    It would prob be best to just work on his gear (and gear of others required for survivor event) while you wait for the shards to come out. that is what i have been doing for inquisitors and it is working pretty well. it takes some time, but you will have gear to go with the shards, and they will go up at about the same speed, although if the shards are available on low-energy cantina nodes it is much faster than dark/light hard battles or fleet.
  • Options
    What is the best way to spend crystals to 7-star a newly released marquee character?

They will often have packs of related toons that are all required for a single event.

Until one of those toons hits 7*, your best spending is on those packs. Once one or sometimes two characters hit 7*, however, then some of every pack is going to shard shop currency and it becomes more economical to purchase shards for the individual characters that have yet to reach 7*.

Now... THAT SAID ... they often skew the odds so that you are more likely to get the earliest characters released in those packs. As a result, for maximum crystal efficiency, you probably need to hold off buying any shards of the first toon or two that are released. Wait until all of them are released and then look for the "faction" pack (not really a faction, but "group" or whatever -- you know what I mean).

Then buy the heck out of them until one hits 7* and hope you get lucky with the rarer toons.
  • Options
    This will get you ready for the event at the earliest possible time, though it does mean that the first two toons are not finished as early as it would be possible to finish them if you bough them solo.
  • Options

There are three stages (I guess four now) for marquee releases.

Marquee event gets you a 3* unlock. At that point you can only get shards through packs for money of 1299 crystals. PLEASE NOTE these crystal packs are a terrible deal and will give you 7 shards the majority of times. Typical cost to 7* from these packs is $300

4-6 weeks later the character will go into shipments for 80 crystals per shard. Cost to 7* here is more like $100

4-6 weeks after that the character will go onto a cantina or ls/ds node for farming.

1 year after initial release, the character will be accelerated and you will get 2 shards per successful sim.

If you are a newer player chasing Cal, you have to 7* 5 different marquees, so you are looking at 6 months at best, more likely 9-12. It is doable, but will also take your account in a direction that may not help you in other (any?) game modes.

Money can help speed it up, but a little money speeds it up a little and making it instant is a very large investment.