Rule of two

Prev1
J0K3R
2286 posts Member
Ppl are busy playing, its slow on the forums... So plz explain something to me. How does the rule of two introduced by Darth Bane make any sense?

It seems to limit the "bad guys" to only two in entire galaxy. How is that logical?

Am I misunderstanding something?
May the force be with you. It shall free you.

Replies

• Options
    2 plus legions of stormtroopers, droids, Death Stars, etc. Maybe same as having 1 president irl.
  • Options
    Only 2 would mean barely anyone to use the force against jedi
  • Options
    I don't get it either. The jedi had it on lock down with their numbers.
  • Options
    Magisto wrote: »
    I don't get it either. The jedi had it on lock down with their numbers.

They are too nice imo
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There were a lot of sith and their plans would always fail because they would fight each other. He figured if there were only two, there could only be so much infighting.
  • Ackturi
    379 posts Member
    Options
    How can you have a sith master with more than just him and the apprentice? Wouldn't multiple masters fight each other for the title as Randall said?
  • Options
    Might have something to do with the masters and apprentices always wanting to kill eachother
  • Options
    The Sith are power hungry. No Sith Master ever dies peacefully. As such, an army of Sith would quickly destroy each other, making them not at all a threat. So Bane (who barely survived the in-fighting), realized that the Sith would become puppet masters. While the Jedi handle problems themselves, the Sith get others to do their dirty work.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Eleiem
    334 posts Member
    Options
    Sith used to fight each other for supremacy, this almost take them to the complete annihilation, more than once. So Bane introduced the concept of the rule of 2; 1 master, 1 apprentice to prevent it.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    That has to be the worst solution possible. A freak accident with the hyperdrive and the last sith n apprentice r wiped out
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    I would replace rule of two with rule of one. A sith can only have one apprentice.

If infighting ensues.. Thats fine... 1000s get dwindled doen to hundreds or dozens... Still better than just 1.

U could expand the rule of one... Each star system can only have one sith.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    If they were dumb enough to fight each other, y would they even follow the rule?
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Options
    J0K3R wrote: »
    If they were dumb enough to fight each other, y would they even follow the rule?

Well bane had enough strength to make it happen
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Randall wrote: »

Well bane had enough strength to make it happen

Yeah... But we know the sith didnt follow it all the time... They had multiple apprentices... Which is the worst thing a sith could do
  • Options
    The Rule of Two doesn't necessarily mean there should only ever be 2 Sith. It's a guide to limit casualties. The Sith don't have the best track record when it comes to playing nice with each other. The dark side of the force can make one incredibly moody. Palpatine is a firm believer in the Rule though and he commits. He is also considered evil even by Sith standards
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Rule of Two doesn't necessarily mean there should only ever be 2 Sith. It's a guide to limit casualties. The Sith don't have the best track record when it comes to playing nice with each other. The dark side of the force can make one incredibly moody. Palpatine is a firm believer in the Rule though and he commits. He is also considered evil even by Sith standards

this is a more reasonable approach. As i stated above, the rule of two should do two things: 1) prevent two apprentices from killing their master. 2) prevent sith from battling

But it should allow for more than one sith to exist, or even coexist, at one time and even one place.

Room for Jar Jar to be sith still
  • Options
    The rule of 2 have 2 main goals:

-More powerful individuals than the previous generations. Lets call it "natural selection"
    As the rule say: there is one master to embody the power and an apprentice to crave it. If at any point the apprentice thinks that he is more powerful than the master he could fight him. If he successfully kills him, he becomes the new master, if not, the master looks for a new apprentice.

-Power for the Sith as a group. This is the most important part of this rule. Bane thought that power as a whole is a goal bigger than themselves. Thats why they act behind the shadows, planning their rise in politics and increasing their influence. As a result you see palpatine being a highly important politician at the same time being the result of thousands of years of "natural selection". Thats the reason palpatine is so frigging powerful.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options

-More powerful individuals than the previous generations. Lets call it "natural selection"
    As the rule say: there is one master to embody the power and an apprentice to crave it. If at any point the apprentice thinks that he is more powerful than the master he could fight him. If he successfully kills him, he becomes the new master, if not, the master looks for a new apprentice.

-Power for the Sith as a group. This is the most important part of this rule. Bane thought that power as a whole is a goal bigger than themselves. Thats why they act behind the shadows, planning their rise in politics and increasing their influence. As a result you see palpatine being a highly important politician at the same time being the result of thousands of years of "natural selection". Thats the reason palpatine is so frigging powerful.

I agree with the first.

The second i dont. Because they limited themselves to one sith, they had no choice but to act in shadows.

the rule itself forces infighting... Because there can only be 1 sith
  • Zanhaep
    358 posts Member
    Options

I agree with the first.

The second i dont. Because they limited themselves to one sith, they had no choice but to act in shadows.

the rule itself forces infighting... Because there can only be 1 sith

The Banite Sith act in shadows because the Jedi defeated them last time they operated openly. And there won't be a huge amount of infighting as the apprentice will not try to overcome the master until they are strong enough. If they aren't strong enough, they will be killed and will never gain the power they crave
  • Options
    Did vader and the emperor both have multiple apprentices? Palpatine was grooming anakin while having maul and dooku. Dooku had asajj and savage. Vader had his own apprentice while under Palpatine. I guess as long as it's a secret?
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Its dangerous for them to do that
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    Options
    Did vader and the emperor both have multiple apprentices? Palpatine was grooming anakin while having maul and dooku. Dooku had asajj and savage. Vader had his own apprentice while under Palpatine. I guess as long as it's a secret?

It's not a rule enforced by God, it's a guide. And asajj was never trained as a sith.

Sidious was looking to upgrade his apprentice to Anakin, he knew the potential as the chosen one. Vader knew he needed help to topple Sidious.
  • Options
    Bane knew that-

The lesser Sith will team up and destroy the ultimate master, making whoever the lesser Sith elect worse than the first Master. Then the cycle continues, making the Sith weaker and weaker
  • Options
    You have to understand, the Sith are very different then the jedi. It isnt a bunch of people fighting together in favor of the dark side. Each individual sith is fighting for themselves, for their own power. In the clone wars you see sith fighting other sith all the time, but never jedi fighting jedi.
    In the clone wars series, sidious is the master and dooku is the apprentice, if we assume plagueis was dead by then or pursuing his own interests. Sith are only loyal to themselves. They only want to gain power, as we saw with sidious letting anakin kill dooku, he looked only to having more power with a new apprentice. No loyalty for dooku.
    I hope that kind of answers the question. You cant look at it as the big picture of jedi vr sith and wonder why all the sith dont team up. Its part of the dark side of the force that they dont all cooperate and that their only goal is more power
  • Options
    another common misconception is that people think that maul, savage, or ventress are illegal and 'break' the rule of 2. That is false. Both dooku and sidious understand the rule of 2. Savage and ventress were trained as mercenaries to do the sith's bidding, not to be sith lords. Once their 'mercenaries' get to powerful, the sith will probably opt to kill their mercenary/apprentice since they pose a threat to the main 2 sith. You can find multiple youtube videos of sith fighting sith for this reason in the clone wars like i said.
    Maul was also trained as a mercenary, but under sidious and plagueis, not sid and dooku.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Doesnt this permanently ensure they are outnumbered?

I would alter Bane's philosophy... If an apprentice is strong enuff, he goes out n kills a jedi, not his master. If he succeeds, they split up to never see each other again.
  • Options
    xxakortsxx wrote: »
    another common misconception is that people think that maul, savage, or ventress are illegal and 'break' the rule of 2. That is false. Both dooku and sidious understand the rule of 2. Savage and ventress were trained as mercenaries to do the sith's bidding, not to be sith lords. Once their 'mercenaries' get to powerful, the sith will probably opt to kill their mercenary/apprentice since they pose a threat to the main 2 sith. You can find multiple youtube videos of sith fighting sith for this reason in the clone wars like i said.
    Maul was also trained as a mercenary, but under sidious and plagueis, not sid and dooku.

This.

A Sith is something you need to learn to become. You have to be taught by a Sith Lord to inherit that title. Many were trained to use dark side Force abilities, but they were never meant to become a true Sith.So technically, Savage should not be labeled as a Sith.
  • Options
    xxakortsxx wrote: »

This.

A Sith is something you need to learn to become. You have to be taught by a Sith Lord to inherit that title. Many were trained to use dark side Force abilities, but they were never meant to become a true Sith.So technically, Savage should not be labeled as a Sith.

Yeah, its important to clarify that not every dark side user is a Sith but every Sith is a dark side user.

In Legends the Sith used to be an "Alien specie" but later it became more of a philosophy
  • Options

I would alter Bane's philosophy... If an apprentice is strong enuff, he goes out n kills a jedi, not his master. If he succeeds, they split up to never see each other again.

Actually, the Sith objective being world domination, it doesn't make sense. There can only be one ruler if we are talking about world domination, not a UNO. The aim of a Sith lord is not the primacy of his faction but his own rule and power. Jedi, on the other hand, are peacekeepers in a sense. They have no reason to keep their numbers low. Two at a time works because the dark side works by manipulating others and they don't have to follow any rules of engagement.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options

Actually, the Sith objective being world domination, it doesn't make sense. There can only be one ruler if we are talking about world domination, not a UNO. The aim of a Sith lord is not the primacy of his faction but his own rule and power. Jedi, on the other hand, are peacekeepers in a sense. They have no reason to keep their numbers low. Two at a time works because the dark side works by manipulating others and they don't have to follow any rules of engagement.

Still, it exposes them vulnerable to space accidents. One mistake and all sith r dead.