The Mandalorian S3E8: The Return (Spoilers)

Prev1
Well that is a way to go out with a bang!
I'm very surprised the Mythosaur never got some action, when Grogu woke the one in the water, it looked small, I wonder how many are down there.

So Giddeon cracked the code of cloning force wielders with Dr Perishing? I guess that explains why she mind flayed him so no one else could learn it. That makes more sense now.

I'm glad Axe never ran out of fuel flying from the Great Forge into outer space, sure would have ****. Sure am happy that wasn't a plot point in the show 👀

I don't get Bo saying they couldn't beat them in the air, but they could on the ground. Didn't you try that last time and your planet got crystallized?

The meteor shower of Mandos was a cool shot, but air to air combat was a little... goofy for me.

Grogu holding his own against the guards was great to see. His time with Luke paid off well. I was almost wishing he would pull out the light dagger and start slicing! Him and Din were a great team, same with the Bo fight.

I was interested to see if the darksaber crystal was going to be salvaged to be repaired. Guess it is done for good. Maybe we will get a new one in the coming seasons, would be a way to repair the riff between Jedi and Mando.

Overall the last 2 episodes really bolstered the season, it gave us a lot of lore, world building and action. Really looking forward to the next season, but the one question I have is, how did Giddeon know about Maul? He put the horn spikes on his helmet, he used a double blades staff. That couldn't have been a coincidence right?

Replies

• Options
    So all those figthers and bombers destroyed the frigate and then flew off into the sun set lol. Or he single handedly destroyed them all at that point why not fight them using the entire fleet lol silly
  • Options
    So din djarin do have some melee skills, just dont know how to use the saber.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Nice popcorn episode, not more not less. We need a new story arc for season 4. Mando mentioning at the end that he'd like to work as NewRep subcontractor hunting empire remnants hopefully means we will see some cross-overs to Ashoka series.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It was a decent episode, but had tons of really weird elements. The more I think about it, the less I like it, and the less I like the whole season. It also seemed very rushed.

The Pershing mind wipe makes even less sense now. They could have just thrown him off the train. It was a very convoluted story arc with no reason behind it.

R5 being scared of the cliff when he literally just flew down off a cliff made no sense.

Gideon saying he would take care of Din and Grogu, and then just waiting in his lair while they destroyed his clones with a single button push made no sense. And why would you have a button that blew the glass out of the clone tanks?

The last name of Mandalorians is obviously the family name. See Clans Visla and Katan, so why would Grogu be Din Grogu instead of Grogu Djarin?

Where the heck did all of Din’s weaponry go? In the first season he was launching whistling birds and knee rockets every 5 seconds. Neither made an appearance this entire season as he fist fought everyone.

Rocket packs all ran out of fuel after a few minutes in one episode, but in this one they can fly all the way to space.

Their necks are completely exposed to any rope thrown at them, but somehow the vacuum of space doesn’t affect them.

Who are the spies?

Why did the pretorian guards try to kill Grogu? Gideon had done everything in his power to try to capture him for 2 seasons, now he wants him dead?

I could go on. I really feel like this show lost its way this season. There’s too many fingers in the pot. Too many directors. Star Wars needs to be limited to Filoni, Taika, and Howard directing. And that’s it.
    Post edited by Ltswb1 on
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    And why are Gideon’s clones old? Clones come out young and age. Why would you make old clones?
    Post edited by Ltswb1 on
  • Options
    Throwaway season. More prequel-like fan service with no depth.
  • Blubcop
    381 posts Member
    Options
    970osa1bdhvh.png
  • Options
    Blubcop wrote: »
    970osa1bdhvh.png

God dayum man thats hilarious
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Loved the previous episode but had some issues with this episode

1. The aerial battle... Its like the stormtroopers don't have beskar armor anymore... all they did was job, not a single moment where they were shown to take anyone out
    2. Axe Wolve should've died / sacrificed himself in space (the whole crash landing was bad since it just implies the fighters and bombers can't take out an almost unmanned capital ship) also it just cheapens everything about him staying behind and the entire threat of the fighters and bombers since there was no casualties for the good guys; The show is too afraid to kill off any good characters and thats lame
    3. Grogu forcing in all the battles is very OP and takes away the tension from everything / every battle
  • Options
    Agreed. It’s a season finale - no real cliff hangers. Just felt like typical movie troping.

“How many fighters do we need to destroy that cruiser?”
    “30 sir.”
    “Send 25. And leave those bombers I requested last episode in the hangars, the CGI budget ran over again.”

“How did we lose?”
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Options
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    And why are Gideon’s clones old? Clones come out young and age. Why would you make old clones?

I believe there are two types of cloning in SW:
    1. Cloning cells to create babies that grow into adults (clone trooopers)
    2. Cloning exact copies of something as they currently are (Snoke & Gideon). This is why all versions of Snoke have that massive gash in their heads and why the Gideons were the same age.
  • Options
    Is the dark saber not made of beskar?
  • Options
    Is the dark saber not made of beskar?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was. I was half expecting him to cave in Din's helmet
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    2. Axe Wolve should've died / sacrificed himself in space (the whole crash landing was bad since it just implies the fighters and bombers can't take out an almost unmanned capital ship) also it just cheapens everything about him staying behind and the entire threat of the fighters and bombers since there was no casualties for the good guys; The show is too afraid to kill off any good characters and thats lame

Yes, this leads me to believe that paz is alive. i don’t think disney realizes that this is star wars and not the little mermaid
  • Options

Where the heck did all of Din’s weaponry go? In the first season he was launching whistling birds and knee rockets every 5 seconds. Neither made an appearance this entire season as he fist fought everyone.

Why did the pretorian guards try to kill Grogu? Gideon had done everything in his power to try to capture him for 2 seasons, now he wants him dead?

First- the first paragraph. i concur. i noticed that his whistling birds weren’t there when he was sneaking around

second- the second paragraph. maybe they weren’t set to kill. i would think that the electricity could be set to a lower mode. this could also mean paz isn’t dead
  • Devian
    672 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I like the episode, but I feel it was too short. We had lots of long fillers, but short ending...
    Promoting Bo as Mandalore was a bit underwhelmig. Felt like she didn't earn it and everything was given to her on spoon, I was even expecting fight for Mythosaur but.... guess that was luxury.
    And a bit controversal about Gideon. He don't favor clones - he has them. He do not favor humans in Dark Troopers he puts himself in them. He lashes out about clones destroyed - he lets it happen and simply waits
    I kinda hope that one is a clone and real Gideon simply wants to hide for the time being
  • Options
    Im just glad next season is going to be like season 1 and 2. Short stories that is just about mando and baby yoda, im so sick of them trying to use other shows to set up new shows for others characters, like you are ruining a show in the hopes of a new show
  • Devian
    672 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Loved the previous episode but had some issues with this episode

1. The aerial battle... Its like the stormtroopers don't have beskar armor anymore... all they did was job, not a single moment where they were shown to take anyone out
    1. I believe those commandos didn't have as much beskar on them as Dark Trooper Gideon
    2. He might be still a traitor(at least I'm hoping) that wanted to destroy Gideon's base, to hide the fact that the one that died is a clone. But even if he'**** not - running away from the ship that's gonna be sestroyed is a good option. Pity they made Paz sacrificing himself in stupid way...
  • Options
    Devian wrote: »
    Promoting Bo as Mandalore was a bit underwhelmig. Felt like she didn't earn it and everything was given to her on spoon,

Welcome to our world :(
  • LordDirt
    5029 posts Member
    Options
    Season was eh.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Bad Batch was better imo. Didn’t hate the season, just underwhelming.
  • Blubcop
    381 posts Member
    Options
    I just hope that Gideon is now dead. He was a really nice villain, but another season were he is the endboss would be worse than him just dying like that.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Blubcop wrote: »
    I just hope that Gideon is now dead. He was a really nice villain, but another season were he is the endboss would be worse than him just dying like that.

Yeah, they should focus on the rest of the Shadow Council now, with Mando being a contractor for the New Republic
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options

First- the first paragraph. i concur. i noticed that his whistling birds weren’t there when he was sneaking around

second- the second paragraph. maybe they weren’t set to kill. i would think that the electricity could be set to a lower mode. this could also mean paz isn’t dead

You can see his weaponry being removed once he gets lassoed by the troopers. They removed the whistling birds from his arm. Not really sure why he chose not to use them. As for Paz, he should be pretty dead. They didn't just electrocute him, but you can see they actually stabbed him with their weapons. I wish he was still alive though as I liked his character.
  • Options
    V01D wrote: »

You can see his weaponry being removed once he gets lassoed by the troopers. They removed the whistling birds from his arm. Not really sure why he chose not to use them. As for Paz, he should be pretty dead. They didn't just electrocute him, but you can see they actually stabbed him with their weapons. I wish he was still alive though as I liked his character.

For the weapons, in previous episodes — and it may have been in BOBF but i’m not sure, i think it is — he just released the ammo but not the actual weapon before he boarded a public transport. they didn’t make him take off the actual wrist launcher thing.

As for paz; this isn’t the same disney that made clone wars
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options

For the weapons, in previous episodes — and it may have been in BOBF but i’m not sure, i think it is — he just released the ammo but not the actual weapon before he boarded a public transport. they didn’t make him take off the actual wrist launcher thing.

They absolutely took Mando's whistling bird wrist launcher off after they captured him on the platform. Go watch episode 7 again. Also, it is the same Disney that made Clone Wars as Disney and Dave Filoni made both. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Paz as he was never seen in the Clone Wars series.
  • Options

Also, it is the same Disney that made Clone Wars as Disney and Dave Filoni made both. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Paz as he was never seen in the Clone Wars series.

Then go watch CW and tell me how many more casualties happened for the light side in that than in mando. CW is far more violent but it is just animated. Disney went soft
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options

Also, it is the same Disney that made Clone Wars as Disney and Dave Filoni made both. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with Paz as he was never seen in the Clone Wars series.

Then go watch CW and tell me how many more casualties happened for the light side in that than in mando. CW is far more violent but it is just animated. Disney went soft

... okay? Not really sure how we got on the topic of CW and violence, but sure. What do light side casualties have to do with anything talked about? Maybe I'm missing something here.
  • yolkywareagle
    1016 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

... okay? Not really sure how we got on the topic of CW and violence, but sure. What do light side casualties have to do with anything talked about? Maybe I'm missing something here.

The death of paz. they haven’t killed anyone recently. ofc GI had plot protection, but not a single side character mando died and they couldn’t even kill fennec. kylo should’ve died when he was almost killed by rey. somehow no one manages to die anymore. at least not in combat.
  • Options
    This is very inconsistent because grogu's past shows us that while in the academy, jedi and clones dies like nobody, but at the last big fight no major good guys die? Should have more casualties like axe woves or koska reeves. this ep just remind me BoBF(kill 1 good guy at before, then no major good guys died at the last big fight).

This is now like kid's bed story, dunno if the original story like this, or disney insist.