Maul's Seething Rage and Anguish WAI??

Braezac
36 posts Member
edited April 2023
I was trying to adjust mods between health and offense to optimize Maul's damage output from Seething Rage.(Please ignore LV's leader and protection, i don't have him) It occurred to me that because Seething Rage deals true damage, we can know Maul's damage output at the start of the battle, assuming no other modifiers to his offense or max health. And this proved to be true, as a solo in Galactic War his first hit with Seething Rage dealt 6474 damage or 8004 damage depending upon 3 or 5 stacks of anguish respectively. But, how do we arrive at those values?

True damage is physical damage without reduction for armor. 7* physical damage is 3490, R2 adds 664, and I have 822 from mods totaling 4976. The above true damage values are 130% and 160% of my total physical damage. This is strange because Usurper(L) grants 25% offense, and Bound by Hatred adds 15% offense. How then do we arrive at 130% and 160% true damage?

Anguish is supposedly why Health is important to Maul, he takes damage equal to 2% Max Health per stack and gains that much offense. The 2% damage is verified as 1274 (60710 Max Health, plus 5% from Usurper); which would be a total of 3822 or 6370 at 3 or 5 stacks respectively. This should be added to my offense for that turn, but why isn't that part of the true damage amount? My physical damage is 4976 totaling 8798 or 11346 at the respective stack count, but true damage is only 6474 or 8004?

Where and how is the added offense from Anguish being included in Seething Rage's first hit? If it's meant to be excluded, but the stack count itself affects it, what drives the 130% or 160% modifiers to physical damage to get to the actual true damage? And from there, how do you calculate the subsequent bonus turn hits from Seething Rage?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7321 posts Moderator
    Options
    So your physical damage is 4976, plus 40% from lead and unique is 6966 (assume swgoh always rounds down). 60710 health plus 5% is 63745, and 6% of that is 3824. 3824+6966 is 10790. The Seething Rage damage modifier starts at 60%. 10790*0.6 = 6474.

63745*0.1 = 6374, so 13,340 damage. 60% of that is 8004.

So it seems to be working perfectly.
    ua2eiwnbph13.jpg
  • Options
    @crzydroid, ok so fluke math interactions and it all makes sense, but where does that 60% reduction come from if you take the game at nothing more than face value:
    e95wkn37t8n0.jpg
  • Options
    And also, where on swgoh.gg do you find that??
  • crzydroid
    7321 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's not uncommon for descriptions to be a little off from the mechanics in this game, unfortunately, but that's not really the issue here. True Damage abilities can have a damage modifier attached to them, just like regular attacks--and the damage modifiers are NEVER listed in game. The closest it comes is when upgrading and it says x% more damage or something, but you don't know the base so can't figure out the total from that. Here, the damage modifier for the first attack is 0.60 according to the swgoh.gg mechanics.
  • Options
    Yeah, some variance(<5%) is fine, but 60% is a significant departure. I mean, its actually illegal if you order a 10 piece nuggets and they only put 6 in the bag.(guess where I am right now,lol!!) Contents may settle during shipping doesn't explain that sort of leakage!
  • crzydroid
    7321 posts Moderator
    Options
    That's just the damage modifier they chose. Is it also illegal for all the physical and special damage attacks that do anywhere between 1.5 times the offense and 3 times the offense, etc.? Nowhere did it say attack damage starts at 100% offense.

It's also only for the first instance. It keeps increasing everytime, so by the fifth time you are doing many times the offense.
  • Options
    Yep, further testing has the modifiers as follows:
    1st attack: 0.6
    2nd attack: 2
    3rd attack: 4
    4th attack: 7
    5th attack: 11

That is described by the polynomial: .4429x^2 - .0771x + .28

There is nothing at all about that modifier related to increases of 60%(stacking).

There is nothing at all about that ability description that is true, except that it is measured in true damage...
  • crzydroid
    7321 posts Moderator
    Options
    Braezac wrote: »
    Yep, further testing has the modifiers as follows:
    1st attack: 0.6
    2nd attack: 2
    3rd attack: 4
    4th attack: 7
    5th attack: 11

That is described by the polynomial: .4429x^2 - .0771x + .28

There is nothing at all about that modifier related to increases of 60%(stacking).

There is nothing at all about that ability description that is true, except that it is measured in true damage...

Were you forgetting to take into account different amounts of health from lowering stacks of anguish when you got those numbers? I tested this and got 0.6, 1.2. 2.4, 4.2, and 6.6, which is working exactly as the description states.