Phoenix Team Kit Rework/Ideas (Pt 1)

I used to play the game years ago, and I've only just started playing again. Phoenix has always been my favorite (non-Darth Vader) team in the game, but even back then I was astounded by how early of a team they are. They really are garbage once you get further into the game. Having Captain Rex in the game is great, but truthfully I think that he should be on a team with Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum) and possibly Kallus. So, I decided to create a separation of two Phoenix teams, and mix-and-matchable abilities (I hope, because as of yet I haven't finished the other set).

The two teams would be as follows:
Hera (L), Kanan, Ezra, Sabine, Chopper

Commander Sato (L), Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum), Captain Rex, Kallus (Fulcrum), Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios

With this post (and replies to this post), I will be going over buffs for the original Phoenix team and the Spectres as a whole. Any and all changes will be marked in bold. On to kits:

Hera Syndulla
Light Side, Support, Leader, Phoenix, Rebel

Outwit (Basic)
Deal Physical damage to target enemy. If that enemy was the healthiest enemy, also Expose them for 1 turn.

Play to Strengths (Special)
Call another ally to assist. That ally has +50% Potency and deals 35% more damage. If the target is Phoenix, Dispel all debuffs on them, reduce their cooldowns by 1, and grant them 50% Turn Meter.

Backup Plan (Special)
Target other ally gains Backup Plan for 3 turns. Backup Plan: Recover 10% Health per turn, revive with 80% Health and 30% Turn Meter when defeated; can't be dispelled or prevented.

Rise Together (Leader)
Each active Phoenix ally grants their Unique ability to other Phoenix allies. In addition, whenever a Phoenix ally uses a Special ability, they gain 20% Turn Meter if Hera is active. This effect is doubled for Phoenix allies with less than full Health. While in Territory Wars: Phoenix allies have +30% counter chance, +50% Max Health, and +30 Speed; when Hera uses Backup Plan, all Phoenix allies gain Backup Plan for 3 turns; the first time each other Phoenix ally falls below 50% Health, Hera gains 80% Turn Meter; whenever a Phoenix ally uses a Special ability, all Phoenix allies gain 10% Offense (stacking) until they're defeated.

We're a Family (Unique)
This Unique ability is not shared with other Phoenix allies. If Kanan Jarrus is an ally, Hera and Kanan gain +10% Tenacity. If Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios is an ally, Hera and Zeb gain +10% Defense. If Ezra Bridger is an ally, Hera and Ezra gain +10 Speed. If Sabine Wren is an ally, Hera and Sabine gain +10% Potency. If Chopper is an ally, Hera and Chopper gain +10% Offense, and Hera grants all of these effects to all other Phoenix allies as well. If Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios is not an ally and Hera is in the Leader Slot, summon Zeb to the Ally Slot.

Zeb (Summon)
Light Side, Attacker, Phoenix, Rebel

Heavy Covering Fire (Basic)
Deal Physical damage to the target enemy. If the target is Exposed, attack again. This attack does not expire Expose.

Child of Lasan (Special)
Grant all allies Protection Up (25%) for 2 turns. Heal self and lowest Health Phoenix ally for 20%.

Wrath of the Bow Staff (Special)
Deal Physical damage to the target enemy and apply Vulnerable for 2 turns, which cannot be resisted. Then, deal Special damage to the target enemy and apply Shock for 2 turns.

Karabast! (Unique)
Whenever Zeb is attacked, gain +3 Speed, up to a maximum of 15, for the rest of the battle. Zeb has bonus Max Protection equal to 20% of his Max Health and recovers 10% Protection at the start of his turn. Zeb assists whenever a Phoenix ally uses their Basic ability on their turn (this assist is not shared with Phoenix allies).

Thoughts: Okay, so firstly, I just don't like that the Zeb currently in-game only uses his bowstaff as a vibrostaff. The whole show he uses it as a rifle as well as a staff. Secondly, I don't like that we can't have all of the Spectres in one team. I fixed that. I didn't want to leave the ability as just a summon, so I made it a full Unique that would require more ability mats (and probably a Zeta) to get going (basically, a little bit more realism because the game won't just reward people by giving her an ability that doesn't require mats). Also, I wanted to give Hera some more direct synergy with Chopper, who (at least besides Kanan) is really Hera's best friend. The fact that they don't have any beyond the current leader ability is honestly kind of absurd.

Replies

• Options
    Here is the second set of kits: Ezra and Sabine.
    Ezra Bridger
    Light Side, Attacker, Jedi, Phoenix, Rebel

Rushing Strike (Basic)
    Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 40% chance to attack again. If Ezra has no debuffs, the chance is doubled.

Flourish (Special)
    Deal Physical damage to target enemy and dispel all buffs on them. If the enemy had no buffs, this attack's cooldown is reduced by 1 and Ezra gains 75% Turn Meter instead. Ezra gains Defense Up for 2 turns. If Sabine is an ally, grant Sabine 50% Turn Meter and Defense Up for 2 turns.

Watch and Learn (Special)
    Target ally attacks and then Ezra assists them, dealing 20% more damage. Both attackers gain a bonus effect based on the chosen ally's role:

- Attacker: Scores a critical hit if possible
    - Tank: Protection Up (40%) for 2 turns
    - Support: +40% Turn Meter Gain

Push Through (Unique)
    Ezra gains 10% Offense (stacking, max 40%) at the end of his turn for the rest of the encounter and will reset if he is defeated.

Note: Not much of a change for Ezra, since I think he is probably the best/second best character on the Phoenix team anyways. I almost gave him more direct synergy with Kanan/Sabine, but worry not, that will be addressed.

Sabine Wren
    Light Side, Attacker, Mandalorian, Phoenix, Rebel

Blasters Akimbo (Basic)
    Deal Physical Damage to target enemy twice. This attack scores an additional hit for each of the following if the target:

- Has less than 70% Turn Meter
    - Has less than 30% Turn Meter
    - Is Debuffed

Hits after the first deal 75% less damage. If Ezra Bridger is an ally, hits after the first deal 30% less damage instead.

Darksaber Strike (Special)
    If Kanan Jarrus is an ally, gain Speed Up for 2 turns. Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Armor Shred for the rest of the battle. If Kanan Jarrus is the target enemy, this attack is guaranteed to critically hit.

Demolish (Special)
    Deal Physical damage to all enemies, Stagger them for 2 turns, and Expose target enemy for 2 turns. For each active Mandalorian and Phoenix ally, deal +15% more damage and Expose a random enemy for 2 turns. Mandalorian and Phoenix allies gain Critical Chance Up and Offense Up for 2 turns. If this attack scores a critical hit, reduce Sabine's cooldowns by 2. If Zeb is an ally, inflict all enemies with a stack of Thermal Detonators. This attack cannot be countered or evaded.

Take It Back (Unique)
    Sabine has +25% Critical Chance and +25% Critical Damage.

Note: I wanted Sabine to be better if Ezra and Kanan were on her side, but I also wanted to encapsulate the Darksaber arc (hence the crit against Kanan enemies) and also her mutual love of thermal detonators with Zeb. Demolish didn't really need a buff, but dangit I wanted those thermal detonators.
  • Options
    On to Chopper and Kanan.

Chopper
    Light Side, Support, Droid, Phoenix, Rebel

Reckless Fling (Basic)
    Deal Physical damage to target enemy and grant a random Phoenix or Droid ally Defense Up, Offense Up, or Speed Up at random for 2 turns, with a 60% chance to also reduce that ally's cooldowns by 1.

Cantankerous Clanker (Special)
    Chopper gains Taunt for 1 turn. While he has this Taunt buff, Chopper gains +30% evasion, and an additional +20% evasion if Hera Syndulla is in the Leader Slot.

Metal Menace (Special)
    Dispel all buffs on target enemy. For each buff dispelled this way, all enemies lose 10% Turn Meter and Chopper recovers 25% Protection. Droid targets are also Stunned for 1 turn, which can't be evaded.

Maintenance Protocols (Unique)
    At the start of his turn, Chopper recovers 15% Health. Whenever he is damaged by an attack, he gains Protection Up (+15%) if he doesn't already have Protection Up. Chopper has a 30% chance to assist wen another Phoenix or Droid ally uses an ability during their turn (this assist is not shared with Phoenix allies).

Note: I don't really think Chopper needs a buff, especially after I gave him genuine usefulness with Hera's new Unique. Regardless, I think it would be neat if he was a better taunter as long as Hera is Leader. Now on to the doozy: my massive buff of Kanan, who is definitively the best character on Rebels.

Kanan Jarrus
    Light Side, Tank, Jedi, Phoenix, Rebel

Disarming Strike (Basic)

Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Offense Down until the start of Kanan's next turn or until he is defeated. If this attack scores a Critical Hit, this attack can't be resisted. This ability gain 15% Critical Chance for each ally under full Health.

Intervene (Special)
    Deal Physical damage to target enemy and Taunt for 2 turns, then dispel all debuffs on another target ally. While Kanan has this taunt buff, his Tenacity is doubled.

Total Defense (Special)
    Dispel all debuffs on Phoenix allies and grant them Defense Up for 3 turns. Kanan grants himself and another target ally Foresight and Protection Up (40%) for 2 turns. When each of these Foresights expire, Kanan gets 100% Turn Meter and other Phoenix allies gain 50% Turn Meter.

Clear Mind (Unique)
    Kanan has 70% counter chance and recovers 25% Health whenever he suffers a debuff.

Nothing Left to Fear (Unique)
    This Unique ability is not shared with other Phoenix allies, and only is available if all allies at the start of the battle are Phoenix. If ally Hera would be defeated while Kanan is active, clear Backup Plan from Kanan, Hera recovers 100% Health and Protection, and Kanan is defeated at the end of that turn. If Kanan is defeated this way, all Phoenix allies gain 100% Turn Meter. The first time an ally Ezra Bridger without Backup Plan is defeated in a battle, Kanan gains a bonus turn and the Special ability Fearless Strike. During this bonus turn, Kanan only has access to Fearless Strike and ignores Taunt and Marked. After that bonus turn, revive defeated ally Ezra Bridger with 30% Health and Protection.

Fearless Strike (Special)
    Defeat target enemy. This ability cannot be evaded, and enemies defeated by this ability cannot be revived. If target enemy is Grand Inquisitor, all allies recover 100% Protection and gain Speed Up for 2 Turns.

Note: So that was a lot, and I kind of like it that way. I imagine Fearless Strike to be an attack where Kanan grabs Ezra's lightsaber on top of his, does that dual-wield jab he does against GI in that episode, and then slashes outwards to defeat the enemy. Also, Nothing Left to Fear incorporates some of that beautiful Jedi Night stuff by making Kanan both unable to to revive after saving Hera (I considered writing "Kanan can't be revived from this" but since there is no revive other than Backup Plan, I wanted that sweet symbolism of there being no "Backup Plan" that could have saved Kanan) and also making the other Phoenix allies get really intent on destroying the enemy that kills Kanan (in the show, Kanan's death really lights a fire under their butts after they have time to grieve).

This is the end of the first segment, and honestly I am really happy with it. I understand if some people think the whole team is now OP. I don't care, because they're my favorites. If anyone has suggestions for team #2, I would greatly appreciate it. What I have so far is essentially "Kallus and Zeb always assist each other, Ahsoka and Rex always assist each other, give them all uniques to spread (and for Ahsoka, a new Unique to spread because frankly the Phoenix team would not like her current one) so that they aren't exactly useless with Hera. Alright, y'all have a good day/night!

• Options
    I do agree that Phoenix needs a buff and I've already made kits for possible Phoenix characters:

Agent Kallus - neutral, attacker, leader, imperial, imperial trooper, rebel, Phoenix, rebel fighter
    Bo-Rifle Shot, basic: deal physical damage to target enemy twice and grant 20% turn meter to a random ally, if it is a Phoenix ally, also grant offense up for 2 turns
    Bo-Rifle Rush, basic: deal true damage to target enemy, inflict vulnerable for 2 turns, and remove 5% turn meter for every active ally, doubled for imperial trooper allies
    Switch Modes, special: gain 100% turn meter and offense up for 2 turns and switch the basic ability mode - cooldown 2
    Think on Your Feet, special - effects are determined by the leader
    Agent of the ISB, leader: all empire allies gain 25% turn meter and offense up and retribution for 1 turn at the start of battle, whenever an empire ally uses a basic ability, inflict offense down on target enemy for 1 turn, whenever an imperial trooper ally uses a basic ability, also inflict expose for 1 turn, these effects can't be resisted
    Heart of a Rebel, unique: Agent kallus gains 10% max protection for every ally at the start of battle, doubled for rebel allies, tripled for Phoenix allies and Kallus is immune to defense down and stun if all allies are rebel, if the allied leader is not empire, then Think on Your Feet: dispel all debuffs on all allies and grant them heal over time (15%) for two turns, doubled for Phoenix allies, dispel all buffs on all enemies and inflict daze and expose on them for 2 turns - cooldown 3, if the allied leader is empire then Think on Your Feet: deal physical damage to all enemies and inflict daze, expose, and vulnerable to all enemies for 3 turns, deal additional instances of damage and deal 10% more damage for every active imperial trooper ally - cooldown 4

Cikatro Vizago - neutral, support, scoundrel, Phoenix, smuggler
    Stolen blaster, basic - deal physical damage to target enemy, this attack deals double damage if target enemy is empire or scoundrel, and vizago gains stealth for one turn if it is a critical hit, if vizago already had stealth, he gains speed up for 2 turns instead, if vizago already had speed up, he gains a stack of inside information, this attack has high damage variance
    Whatever I ask?, special - call target ally to assist and vizago and target ally gain a stack of inside information which can't be prevented or dispelled, then call all allies with inside information to assist dealing 50% less damage, inside information +5% critical chance, counter chance, and tenacity per stack when this character uses a special ability another ally with fewer stacks of inside information gains a stack of inside information and 10% turn meter - cooldown 2
    Information broker, unique - vizago gains double the amount of inside information and gains stealth for 1 turn whenever an ally gains inside information, vizago has +10% offense for every stack of inside information on allies, a random droid ally is automatically called to assist when vizago uses an ability and they ignore damage penalties when assisting vizago, this unique ability is not shared with other Phoenix allies
    Inherent self-interest, unique - whenever vizago is critically hit, he gains +5% max protection, stacking max 100%, vizago is immune to daze and ability block, and vizago has +2.5% evasion for every Phoenix, droid, or scoundrel ally and empire or scoundrel enemy at the start of battle, doubled for active allies and defeated enemies

I also had ideas for a young Ezra as seen in the first episode of rebels
  • Options
    They’re a beginners team, so yeah they’re not supposed to be great. They do have some value late game (Hera being a requirement for Profundity) and as pilots their ships are still somewhat useful.
  • Options
    The two teams would be as follows:
    Hera (L), Kanan, Ezra, Sabine, Chopper

Commander Sato (L), Ahsoka Tano (Fulcrum), Captain Rex, Kallus (Fulcrum), Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios

It really should just be 1 phoenix team with the rest just dispersed into other teams:

Hera (L), Kanan, Captain Rex (in 5v5) Chopper, and Zeb
    Ezra generally has better uses in Jedi lineups, ATF is in Cere Junda teams, Sabine is in Mandalorian teams or not used at all, Sato is already dead, and its probably too late for Kallus.
    Once a Jedi, always a Jedi. Wait... never mind.