Taking over the enemy Capital Ship is a cool concept but not as effective as it sounds on paper

SirAlexTraffo
4 posts Member
edited July 2023
I think my main issue with Leviathan is that taking over the enemy ship is a cool concept but executed very poorly.

Like, you take over the enemy capital ship for 2 turns, can do barely anything with it between locked skills and no synergy(ie: Executor AoE without assists), while for the effort you also made your own capital ship going basics only.

It feels pointless: sure,you prevent the opponent from using the capital ship for 2 turns, but how can that compare to removing the enemy capital ship entirely??

I'd understand if after taking over you could actually launch a special attack from the opponent capital ship to its own fleet doing something between damage and crippling the enemy ships/buffing your own fleet, that would make sense, or if after the 2 turns you could unlock a special ult to blow it up along with the enemy fleet, but right now it just doesn't make sense to me.

And this is not even considering the fact that the Leviathan fleet itself doesn't seem particularly impressive or effective: it can work but doesn't look like it performs that better than any standard Executor or Profundity at the same offensive job, while also being drastically worse on defense.
The old ships didn't get the boost everyone was expecting by just having a synergized capital ship so the whole fleet feels kinda weak.

But, you can somehow make it work if you make the ult worth it, right now it really feels like you're almost crippling yourself with it compared to doing the counters we were used to last week.

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    I think that the takeover is fine as is, basically destroy with a slight bonus. But Levi really needs a repeatable special.
  • Options
    Well there's the bug where it messes with the Mk6 if you use it before calling Mk6. So that needs to be fixed.

In a sense though, it seems weaker than both exec and prof. In a scenario where you get to ult, but the enemy fleet still wins, you still have that capital ship to clean up on the second pass. So in that regard, it doesn't strike me as 'fine as is'. At the least, that capital ship should be disabled, or at least hobbled for the next battle.

There's also the question of, are the capital ship bonuses still applying to the enemy fleet after Levi ult? Should that be happening? I haven't been able to verify this is my experiences and I haven't seen a video that provides conclusive evidence - I'm happy for someone to chime in on this and set me straight if I'm wrong - but I suspect they're still benefiting from the capital ship bonuses, and I also suspect that should not be happening - in which case that needs to be fixed too.

Additionally - considering how tightly bound capital ships are to their respective factions in terms of synergy - sure you're getting an advantage by having control of the enemy cap ship, but you really can't bring much of it's power to bear for the home team when so many of it's abilities are tied to it's own faction. Using those abilities after getting control of the ship is really underwhelming - I guess I thought it would feel... powerful. But it mostly feels like, "um - this doesn't matter, so hit any button"
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    Well there's the bug where it messes with the Mk6 if you use it before calling Mk6. So that needs to be fixed.

In a sense though, it seems weaker than both exec and prof. In a scenario where you get to ult, but the enemy fleet still wins, you still have that capital ship to clean up on the second pass. So in that regard, it doesn't strike me as 'fine as is'. At the least, that capital ship should be disabled, or at least hobbled for the next battle.

There's also the question of, are the capital ship bonuses still applying to the enemy fleet after Levi ult? Should that be happening? I haven't been able to verify this is my experiences and I haven't seen a video that provides conclusive evidence - I'm happy for someone to chime in on this and set me straight if I'm wrong - but I suspect they're still benefiting from the capital ship bonuses, and I also suspect that should not be happening - in which case that needs to be fixed too.

Additionally - considering how tightly bound capital ships are to their respective factions in terms of synergy - sure you're getting an advantage by having control of the enemy cap ship, but you really can't bring much of it's power to bear for the home team when so many of it's abilities are tied to it's own faction. Using those abilities after getting control of the ship is really underwhelming - I guess I thought it would feel... powerful. But it mostly feels like, "um - this doesn't matter, so hit any button"

The enemy fleet is still getting bonuses from the taken capital ship, but that also happens when you use the ult on Exec or Prof. For example if Prof takes your Exec out, your fleet is still counting TLs to get the locked breach and TL. I think its coded like lead unit for toons. If you kill the leader their unique stops (like no TM manipulation for Prof), but the lead ability persists (like BHs avoiding taunt on crewless ships). The problem with capital ships is the only ability is the "Crew" ability and they seem to pick and choose what stays, but don't state that in the kit.
  • Options
    Piatz1019 wrote: »

The enemy fleet is still getting bonuses from the taken capital ship, but that also happens when you use the ult on Exec or Prof. For example if Prof takes your Exec out, your fleet is still counting TLs to get the locked breach and TL. I think its coded like lead unit for toons. If you kill the leader their unique stops (like no TM manipulation for Prof), but the lead ability persists (like BHs avoiding taunt on crewless ships). The problem with capital ships is the only ability is the "Crew" ability and they seem to pick and choose what stays, but don't state that in the kit.

Thanks for that clarification - I didn't realize that.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • OmegaIV
    105 posts Member
    Options
    I agree. The concept is cool, but it would be nice if you can reinforce with their ships or just hit the self destruct button. LOL!
  • Options
    Using their own reinforcements against them would be very cool. Would also allow you to get the synergy benefits of their capital ship with ships now on your side.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    I think the enemy cap ship should instakill with its basic after its taken over. It fits thematically (who expects their own ship to fire on them), and would feel more like the doom countdown a capital ship ultimate should feel like.
  • Options
    Piatz1019 wrote: »
    I think the enemy cap ship should instakill with its basic after its taken over. It fits thematically (who expects their own ship to fire on them), and would feel more like the doom countdown a capital ship ultimate should feel like.

Or maybe ignore protection, as though they don’t have their shields facing their own capital ship. That would also solve any unkillable tanks in exe/prof fleets.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg