Magmatrooper

I have Magmatrooper at level 60 gear 7 and 5* i have enough shards to 7* him, should i do it? And then level him? I want to but i want to know if he will be of any use to me if i do, i fear if do it he will just end up on my Gw C team

Replies

• Options
    I have him 6 star lvl 73 with gear VIII and I'm completely serious his basic attack hits for about 1,500 damage... Which is weaker than my Bariss

The rest of the gear past VII is all towards physical damage so that could be why. But I feel now that he's a complete waste of a character. Especially when i am having a 18.5k health Kylo Ren being one shotted by Rey.
  • Options
    Oh man, i made that mistake with Kylo, dont want to make it again
  • Options
    Darth_Vlad wrote: »
    I have Magmatrooper at level 60 gear 7 and 5* i have enough shards to 7* him, should i do it? And then level him? I want to but i want to know if he will be of any use to me if i do, i fear if do it he will just end up on my Gw C team

Just do it. Play with characters you like. Stop being like every other noob on here. I quit...
  • Options
    I dont really like him hes just easy to farm and available, no use on wasting more resources on him tho if he isnt a viable option
  • Dashel
    24 posts Member
    Options
    I do have trouble too with him. He's doing great with TM and synergies but his damage are not there yet. I have him 7* and gear VII too, working to make him gear 8.
    He did hit OK with offence up, and his chance of second hit is nice but he triggered Dooku's counter twice in my last game and got himself killed.
  • Finity
    309 posts Member
    Options
    Darth_Vlad wrote: »
    I dont really like him hes just easy to farm and available, no use on wasting more resources on him tho if he isnt a viable option

When you say easy to farm, do you have some of the other more generically useful chars from GW? Lumi, Phasma, Poggle, RP, 86?

I like Magma - but not necessarily for pvp. In GW, he is part of my helmet squad (Phasma L, Magmatrooper, Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper, FO Stormtrooper) whcih is just fun to play. But if you are thinking about competitiveness in pvp, then I would say there are better in GW store than magma who are just as easy to get.
    Love SWGOH and want to keep it great! YouTube: Reality Skewed Gamers
  • Options
    Have lumi and phasma maxed, dont like rp(don't ask why, i just dont lol) and have poggle and 86 at about 5* just not interested in using them right now
  • Options
    Using his special at the right moment it can determine an entire pvp session
  • Options
    I have around 4 characters that are ready to level but not promoted yet. I held back due to the new meta and the level increase. The last thing anyone wants to do is level useless characters and waste valuable credits on characters they won't need or use quickly....
  • Finity
    309 posts Member
    Options
    Its really hard to predict the upcoming meta with so little information and there isnt too much point to saving GW tokens (unless you aren't clearing every day) since you get 3 turn ins anyways. I think I might go with 86 in your position because he is fairly useful overall.
    Love SWGOH and want to keep it great! YouTube: Reality Skewed Gamers
  • Options
    Yea i already have the shards to star magmatropper to 7 but i think ill leave him be for now and work on 86 and poggle, thanks guys
  • Options
    I love the sound of his imploder attack!
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    This is a good idea Vlad.
    Wait for the update this week before promoting him. If he gets a damage buff or other good change, promote, if not, leave him where he is at.
    Mine is 6 star gear VIII, i'm not impressed. I'll have enough shards for 7 star on Wednesday. That's a lot of credits to waste on someone that you don't use.

Keep the money in your pocket for now.
  • Options
    I have around 4 characters that are ready to level but not promoted yet. I held back due to the new meta and the level increase. The last thing anyone wants to do is level useless characters and waste valuable credits on characters they won't need or use quickly....

Are you kidding? I am currently wasting as many valuable resources I can on Tattoine Luke! Just got him his 5th star! Only 20 days to go and he'll have all 7. Sweet.
  • dmc97
    39 posts Member
    Options
    I've been farming Magma for a while now and almost have him ready for 7* and max gear. Like others have said, he hits like a toddler, which is pretty disappointing. The one hope for him though is with the new meta coming out, he might get some more damage and in longer battles, his turn meter AOE could be a big deal. In general, if an Empire team is ever viable (7* Vader leader?), I think he could be pretty robust as Empire toons seem to have lots of AOE and you could conceivably wipe out entire squads after just a few turns.
  • Options
    Magmatrooper felt in magma. That s why his weapon melted in the lava and now is not working anymore
  • Blankenshipbro
    132 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I find him useful if paired with empire squad. His basic is nothing to walk home about but he has good speed and when he uses the imploder it basically allows all of your team to get an attack in before the next team does.

I've used him with

Vader (L) [because he adds to tm reduction with hits.]

Royal Guard
    Lando
    HK-47
    Magma

This combo has been proven very effective. The highest leveled I have is Lando at 70 and the highest star of any of these characters is 5* (lando, magma and hk, --RG and Vader are 4*) and I've wiped out the last team of my gwar (maxed out lvl 72's) 2 days in a row now, which I thought was rather impressive since I expected them to lose.
  • Options
    I love the sound of his imploder attack!

He's worth it for that alone!
  • SaintEaters
    412 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    He hits very soft. I have him at 7* lvl 74 gear 9 and his base is about 2200 - 2400 damage. That is like a bug bite next to Rey hitting for 4k - 12k basic/special #1. His special hits for less at about 1900 - 2000. I use him strictly for turn meter but since his speed is only 119 (this is actually towards the slow side of the speed scale) most of the other team has already unleashed their beast and ohko'd one or more of my toons. I'm hoping that the combat update helps but if I were you I would at least wait till the update hits this week before you decide. He usually survives round 1 bc his health is around 18000 but doesn't do enough damage to make up the deficit your team is already in after round 1.

GL
  • AKK889
    159 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yep, I agree. But that's actually been the problem with all Empire toons, good Health but slow and low damage.
    Hopefully the update brings some force to the darkside :wink:
  • Options
    I have him 6* on my alt account and yeah he does seem a bit weak although his health pool is pretty high. In the end I will probably farm him on my main account cause my endgame goal is to have every character leveled/7*/max gear etc.
  • Options
    I have him 7 star lvl 70 and gear 7 a couple stun cuffs away from gear 8(one equipped already) and he's about as wet noodle as bariss. Doesn't make any sense. Maybe once fully geared in 8 he will hit for more than 2100
  • Options
    I took #1 the other day with a Vader team. Sitting #6 atm.

I have to spend more to climb, but I have the coolest looking team in the group.

Level 73.

Vader(L)5* but maxed as can be
    Maxed Magma
    Maxed RG
    Maxed IG-88
    Maxed IG-86 (switched around with various experiments, such as Stormtrooper a 5 star Tarkin, a healer, Poe, Phasma). Phasma is usually a nice option for just ridic meter. I do not own Sid or Dooku as I refuse to play them.

Magma helps equalize the speed issue. RG blocks for the IG's. Even if an IG gets OHK I can still win.

It usually goes, Magma, reset their turn (wholesale). Vader, AOE followed by IG-88 AOE and all his crit/dot buffs. It's important to note that Vader applies his Dots like clockwork, where as Sid gets resisted a lot these days.

So at this point some toons may be in the red and I'll pull RG to stun the healer.

86 then does his thing and then it's just clean up.

This is super fun against dooku teams. They can't dodge it all and are usually full of squishies. 86 helps take out RG in one swing.

There's enough dots to keep Rey in check (any neg statuses nerf her).

• MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe with the armor/defense buff and speed/damage normalization he will improve. I am starring him up and slowly leveling/gearing him up. I hope after the revamp his viability improves. Currently have him at 6* 65/100 lvl 38 Gear II.