Who at CG thinks 574% Defense is a "good idea"?

Prev1
Seriously CG? What makes you think this is not absolutely game breaking? a datacron with almost 400% defense, WITH an ability that adds another 200% defense? The previous set of defense datacrons was bad enough and now you're making it even worse?

"Oh hey, let's make players sit in 10-25 matches a day and spend 5 full minutes each match on our rubbish datacrons to make them SUFFER even more than they already do!"

I feel like someone's ego is keeping them obstinate to how badly datacrons are effecting "enjoyment" of this game. But if the ego is pushing to make people quit, well, congratulations because players are.

Just because you do one positive or beneficial thing for players doesn't mean you are free to surround that one positive with 5-10 really bad things that will demotivate players.

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

Replies

• Options
    you can try using offensive focused datacrons to counter it
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Seriously CG? What makes you think this is not absolutely game breaking? a datacron with almost 400% defense, WITH an ability that adds another 200% defense? The previous set of defense datacrons was bad enough and now you're making it even worse?

"Oh hey, let's make players sit in 10-25 matches a day and spend 5 full minutes each match on our rubbish datacrons to make them SUFFER even more than they already do!"

I feel like someone's ego is keeping them obstinate to how badly datacrons are effecting "enjoyment" of this game. But if the ego is pushing to make people quit, well, congratulations because players are.

Just because you do one positive or beneficial thing for players doesn't mean you are free to surround that one positive with 5-10 really bad things that will demotivate players.

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

I believe 'players are quitting the game' is a tired trope that keeps getting brought out when some don't like a decision that is made by CG.

This game's fan-base is very passionate about a wide variety of things; it's clear you are not a fan of Defense %, and that's ok; but an unproven claim that that "someone's ego" is making this game unfun for you does not help your case. Putting literal quotes on a conversation that only happened in your own mind doesn't help either.

To that end: this game is (i think) 7+ years old and closing in on (if not already blown past) 2 billion dollars. While I do not necessarily like Defense % either, I'm not going to rant on the forum that people are leaving the game about it, either. I don't think the Defense % is game breaking - I've been playing the game most of today and I've seen no reports that it is not working.

CG has made much more profound mistakes than making Defense % too high, yet we are all still here playing.

• Options
    el_mago wrote: »

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

I believe 'players are quitting the game' is a tired trope that keeps getting brought out when some don't like a decision that is made by CG.

This game's fan-base is very passionate about a wide variety of things; it's clear you are not a fan of Defense %, and that's ok; but an unproven claim that that "someone's ego" is making this game unfun for you does not help your case. Putting literal quotes on a conversation that only happened in your own mind doesn't help either.

To that end: this game is (i think) 7+ years old and closing in on (if not already blown past) 2 billion dollars. While I do not necessarily like Defense % either, I'm not going to rant on the forum that people are leaving the game about it, either. I don't think the Defense % is game breaking - I've been playing the game most of today and I've seen no reports that it is not working.

CG has made much more profound mistakes than making Defense % too high, yet we are all still here playing.

I didn't say, "hundreds" or "all players" are going to quit. I do know players who "literally" have quit and datacrons were the catalyst. Content creators have also moved on to other games because of the datacron "impact" on the game and its players.

You are correct though, they have made a lot bigger mistakes and they keep making them. Though, there hasn't been a consistency / pattern of mistakes, poor implementations, etc., in so short a time frame in "previous" years.
  • Options
    tylescope wrote: »
    you can try using offensive focused datacrons to counter it

When I find a datacron that gives me 574% armor penetration, I'll let you know. lol
  • Options
    That's not how AP works, btw
  • Options
    That's not how AP works, btw

I was being facetious.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    If you look at how stats work though, the 200% is a waste
    A unit with 50% damage mitigation
    +376% changes that to 82.65
    +567% changes that to 87.12%

So the extra 200% gains less than 5% damage mitigation and takes some time to even get that.

Don't know what the other faction abilities are, to me there would be some other one that would be better than getting another 5% damage mitigation.
  • Options

Right.

So it "only" requires 3x the amount of damage to kill it. If it normally takes you 3 minutes to chew through someone, now it only takes, let me check my math here, 9 minutes.

Phew, and I thought this was going to have some actual determinative effects on real battles based on the way folks were talking!
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options

Right.

So it "only" requires 3x the amount of damage to kill it. If it normally takes you 3 minutes to chew through someone, now it only takes, let me check my math here, 9 minutes.

Phew, and I thought this was going to have some actual determinative effects on real battles based on the way folks were talking!

Wasn't my point but ok.
  • Options
    That 5% makes, from 82 to 87, means it takes about 1.5x as much damage to kill. Every single defense point raises your effective HP by the same amount. There is no "wasted" amount in that sense.

Of course, there are sources of damage that ignore defense altogether, but that's another topic.
  • Options
    CG already told us that there’s no limit to how unbalanced or broken datacons can be since they are temporary it’s not a problem in their eyes. We all know CG QA and testing is lackluster so this is a good thing for us. Just make it “temporary” and no testing is needed. Win-win.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    That 5% makes, from 82 to 87, means it takes about 1.5x as much damage to kill. Every single defense point raises your effective HP by the same amount. There is no "wasted" amount in that sense.

Of course, there are sources of damage that ignore defense altogether, but that's another topic.

It is wasted, IMO in that there are probably other abilities that could have been more effective than gradual gain of 5% defense, it is not instantaious. to each their own though. I don't really chase DC.
    The 375% defense add is not new, could have been done with older DC sets.
    is 80% + damage mitigatation nuts? Yes. Was it possible before? Yes. I CG going to change it? Probably not.
  • Cynyc
    271 posts Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

I didn't say, "hundreds" or "all players" are going to quit. I do know players who "literally" have quit and datacrons were the catalyst. Content creators have also moved on to other games because of the datacron "impact" on the game and its players.

You are correct though, they have made a lot bigger mistakes and they keep making them. Though, there hasn't been a consistency / pattern of mistakes, poor implementations, etc., in so short a time frame in "previous" years.

1) “Knowing x people who have done y therefore z is the way of things” is referred to as inductive reasoning. For every person you personally know has quit because of datacrons, there’s a kraken spending more money in a single conquest season than I’ll spend in my entire swgoh life. I don’t like datacrons, but they’re making CG money. Until that changes (and this is the responsibility of the player), “knowing people who have quit because datacrons” does not matter.

2) any content creator of a mobile game would be wise to move on to another game. There isn’t much content to be made about a mobile game that paywalls progression after a certain rate, and certainly paywalls peak-level competition (of course, the latter is player-driven) and the demand is relatively low. I’m not aware of a mobile game currently that demands much viewership across any streaming service. Swgoh content will **never** compete with actual pvp or RPG games. I’m not trying to be mean to swgoh. It’s just a simple reality that mobile gaming isn’t exactly the most fun genre to watch on twitch. Ahnald is the only content creator I’ve ever seen in swgoh who has the chance to leap across games because he’s the only person who can make this game seem exciting lol. If he took his same commitment and started playing a not-mobile game, I’d expect his viewership to increase exponentially due to personality alone.

3) you made assumptions about ego on the part of the developers

4) you didn’t specify “I know a few players who have quit”. You asserted “players are quitting because x”. “I know a few people” and “players” will not be read the same way.

5) you inserted quotes to project your imagining of a rationale that may or may not exist.

You’re not going to find much success getting your point across if you insist on throwing in so many distracting and unnecessary words, tbh.
  • Options
    Cynyc wrote: »

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

1) “Knowing x people who have done y therefore z is the way of things” is referred to as inductive reasoning. For every person you personally know has quit because of datacrons, there’s a kraken spending more money in a single conquest season than I’ll spend in my entire swgoh life. I don’t like datacrons, but they’re making CG money. Until that changes (and this is the responsibility of the player), “knowing people who have quit because datacrons” does not matter.

2) any content creator of a mobile game would be wise to move on to another game. There isn’t much content to be made about a mobile game that paywalls progression after a certain rate, and certainly paywalls peak-level competition (of course, the latter is player-driven) and the demand is relatively low. I’m not aware of a mobile game currently that demands much viewership across any streaming service. Swgoh content will **never** compete with actual pvp or RPG games. I’m not trying to be mean to swgoh. It’s just a simple reality that mobile gaming isn’t exactly the most fun genre to watch on twitch. Ahnald is the only content creator I’ve ever seen in swgoh who has the chance to leap across games because he’s the only person who can make this game seem exciting lol. If he took his same commitment and started playing a not-mobile game, I’d expect his viewership to increase exponentially due to personality alone.

4) you didn’t specify “I know a few players who have quit”. You asserted “players are quitting because x”. “I know a few people” and “players” will not be read the same way.

5) you inserted quotes to project your imagining of a rationale that may or may not exist.

You’re not going to find much success getting your point across if you insist on throwing in so many distracting and unnecessary words, tbh.

Writes a novel in a forum post and complains about OP using unnecessary words ..
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    There are always people quiting micro-transaction mobile games, it is the nature of the beast.
  • Cynyc
    271 posts Member
    Options
    Jakdnels wrote: »

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

Writes a novel in a forum post and complains about OP using unnecessary words ..

A “novel” as you have used it refers to the quantity of words.

My complaint was not with the quantity of words, but with their relevance, or lack thereof.

Please refer to “false equivalency”.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

It is wasted, IMO in that there are probably other abilities that could have been more effective than gradual gain of 5% defense...

No argument there. As I mentioned, there are plenty of sources of damage that won't care about the defense. Also, there are plenty of teams that ramp mastery and plenty of toons with mastery that includes Armor Pen.
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    OP, how often are you even seeing DCs with insane stats like this? We're at similar SR (you're a little higher than me) and I've never seen one like this.

DCs have been dialed way back since the early sets and it's fine now. I don't really like DCs either, but it was way worse before.

Repeat after me - it's fine.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    OP, how often are you even seeing DCs with insane stats like this? We're at similar SR (you're a little higher than me) and I've never seen one like this.

DCs have been dialed way back since the early sets and it's fine now. I don't really like DCs either, but it was way worse before.

It's fine.
  • Options

From before, like when we had 400% defense datacrons? Or when we had datacrons that applied to GL's? Oh, wait, those are back again. And they'll be back again and again because CG is just recycling old datacron abilities. (That's why all the character specific abilities don't say he/she anymore, all were switched to "they" so characters, factions, etc., can just be switched.)

It's fine you say, but is it though?

• Options
    It's not 574% defense. It's better. Because the 200% in game applies to the new base after factoring in the actual base, the mods, and 374% on the cron.

My 7th sister has an in game armor value of 63.4%(11.6%). This means her base armor (before mods) is about 51.8%. This translates to ~685 defense. With my mods, it's about ~1,104 defense. Multiplying the base by 4.7407 and adding the 419 from my mods yields a new defense value of ~3,667, or something like 85.2% armor. These are the new base values to be used by the 200% calculation. When fully stacked, 3,667 * 3 = 11,001 defense or about 94.52% armor.

So, this datacron, when stacked, will have increased her armor from 1,104 to 11,001, nearly a full factor of 10 and she would have gone from taking 36.6% damage from a hit to only taking 5.48% damage from a hit. When fully stacked, my 7th sister would be ~6-7x thicker.

If I'm wrong anywhere, let me know.
  • Options

kp8nre1fuwlb.png

1) it might not matter to you, but it matters to me.
    2) Your opinion, but there are those that still watch on twitch, youtube, etc., and not just Ahnald (though he is a definite support asset for SWGOH). It appears you don't watch many content creators though.
    3) Not ego of the developers, ego of the decision-makers.
    4) Um, okay.
    5) Since CG won't talk about datacrons with players, content creators, etc., all we have is "perception". So, that's CG's fault for making a system within their game that they won't discuss other than to just say, "here's the next set!"
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options

From before, like when we had 400% defense datacrons? Or when we had datacrons that applied to GL's? Oh, wait, those are back again. And they'll be back again and again because CG is just recycling old datacron abilities. (That's why all the character specific abilities don't say he/she anymore, all were switched to "they" so characters, factions, etc., can just be switched.)

Yes, it is. We both survived before, and we will again.

Once again, how many times have you seen one of these mega defense DCs? How much higher do you think you would be in GAC if you hadn't seen it...once? Twice? Not at all?

Neither of us is in K1. It's not relevant to either of us.

It's fine.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    It's not 574% defense. It's better. Because the 200% in game applies to the new base after factoring in the actual base, the mods, and 374% on the cron.

My 7th sister has an in game armor value of 63.4%(11.6%). This means her base armor (before mods) is about 51.8%. This translates to ~685 defense. With my mods, it's about ~1,104 defense. Multiplying the base by 4.7407 and adding the 419 from my mods yields a new defense value of ~3,667, or something like 85.2% armor. These are the new base values to be used by the 200% calculation. When fully stacked, 3,667 * 3 = 11,001 defense or about 94.52% armor.

So, this datacron, when stacked, will have increased her armor from 1,104 to 11,001, nearly a full factor of 10 and she would have gone from taking 36.6% damage from a hit to only taking 5.48% damage from a hit. When fully stacked, my 7th sister would be ~6-7x thicker.

I did forget cron's don't apply to mods.
    however, I didn't think they stacked like that. But CG is CG....
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

I did forget cron's don't apply to mods.
    however, I didn't think they stacked like that. But CG is CG....

I'm not 100% sure my interpretation is correct, but it adheres to the examples I have, and I have no counter examples at the moment. This is my assumption of how it works because you can see your character stats modified by the datacron stats before you go into the fight. Because of this, datacron stat changes are additive with mods to create a new base when the fight starts (like JML with % protection mods increasing damage and % protection datacrons increasing damage). But the level 3, 6, and 9 don't apply until the battle has started, so they work on top of the newly calculated base when the fight starts (similar to how the 15/15 cron didn't increase JMLs damage, because JML does damage based on his base protection, not modified protection).
  • Ragnarok_COTF
    1793 posts Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Didn't check your math, but you are correct. Stat boosts from DCs L1/2/4/5/7/8 apply to what I call natural stats (or naked stats). Stat boosts from abilities apply to base stats (what you see on the stats screen before starting a fight).
    Post edited by Ragnarok_COTF on
  • Options

Once again, how many times have you seen one of these mega defense DCs? How much higher do you think you would be in GAC if you hadn't seen it...once? Twice? Not at all?

It's fine.

Just because something is not relevant to you, does not mean it is not relevant to the game or player base.

Should K1 players discount the PG problems because they already have the Conquest units? Not relevant to me or my guild.

It is a valid concern that CG has 400% defense stats in same set as 200% defense (eventually) ability as well as 75% damage reduction (sometimes).

Is it the biggest issue right now? No. Other things should be addressed first and its a DC so it'll rotate out. Would be nice if they tuned defense down some in future DC sets, though.

Should you just blow it off because "it isn't relevant to you"? IMO no.
  • Options

It's fine.

Just because something is not relevant to you, does not mean it is not relevant to the game or player base.

Should K1 players discount the PG problems because they already have the Conquest units? Not relevant to me or my guild.

It is a valid concern that CG has 400% defense stats in same set as 200% defense (eventually) ability as well as 75% damage reduction (sometimes).

Is it the biggest issue right now? No. Other things should be addressed first and its a DC so it'll rotate out. Would be nice if they tuned defense down some in future DC sets, though.

Do not all players have access to the same DC's?

This is hardly game breaking.
    "The Empire won't stop until we make them " - Cpt. Drogan, Bitter Pill Company
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options

It's fine.

It's not relevant to me or the OP, who I was addressing. It's also not relevant to 99% of the player base.

The PG issue impacts way more players.

I'm sorry K1 players have to deal with it, I guess. I suspect they're coping, or they're now in K2, which is also fine.
  • MasterSeedy
    5076 posts Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Pretty soon everyone will be in K2 anyway. Taliana is monitoring the slow destruction of K1.

Meanwhile I was going to win a couple GAC rounds last week, but I literally forgot to hit twice out of 3 rounds. Whatever difficulty DCs are creating with high armour values, that's not my main problem in winning battles.

it's fine.
    Post edited by MasterSeedy on