Better strategy for developing toons?

I've been playing for 5 years and as a free to play gamer on a tight budget and know all too well the difficulty of powering up toons quickly. For the longest time my approach has been investing in 7 starring toons first since most development can't be completed until then and many events require them at that level. After that I focus on gear and then relics. Mods don't really get too much attention beyond using whatever the game thinks is best and slicing them if necessary. However I want to try a new approach on how I develop my toons from now on. Mods are not my strong suit so my thoughts have been to possibly research best mod sets first so I could get some use out of low level toons. My usual crystal income daily is roughly 200 and I tend to save them for shard purchases or gear when I'm very close to finishing a toon so I'm not too concerned about daily refreshes. I'm just looking for the most cost effective way to get use out of low level toons during development.

Replies

• scuba
    14069 posts Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    SWGoH.gg has best mods for the units based on player base use.

Example
    https://swgoh.gg/characters/admiral-piett/best-mods/
  • Options
    Most of the biggest benefits from modding comes from percent bonuses, which only get really good when the character is in relic levels.

Under geared characters benefit much more from mods with flat (whole number, not percentage) stat bonuses, but spending a lot of your mod resources on those sorts of mods will not pay off in the long run. Once the character is fully developed, you should to swap to percent bonuses anyway.

There are not many characters (though there are a few) that can get really useful while under geared, even with the best mods you could fit to them (can't fit a 6 dot under g12, can't g12 under 7 stars, barely any benefit from the percent boosts of 6 dot anyway).

Even using the best possible mod strategy is not going to overcome an underdeveloped toon's disadvantage.

The biggest way you could get toons ready faster is by not throwing away a third of your crystals in shipments.

By using your 200 crystals a day on energy refreshes instead you would get roughly a third more shards or gear for the same crystal use over time.

One third of 200 per day over 5 years is about 120,000 crystals you have burned for no benefit.
  • Options
    Work fleets. It sounds like you know refreshes are the most efficient way to gear, so understand I’m not suggesting fleets for increased crystals. If you want to get use out of under starred or geared toons, you usually, though not always, need to invest in their zetas. You’re hurting your zeta income along with crystal income by ignoring fleet arena or at least putting the investment off.

For the same reason, I’d also focus on getting the teams necessary to beat every ab to ct1 at least. I’d also highly recommend stop buying shards or gear until your daily crystal income is above at least 600. It’s just not efficient compared to refreshes. Buy the refreshes you can with the income you have.

Definitely work mods but realize they won’t be able to speed up your progression nearly as quickly as increasing your crystal income and the amount of abs you are farming to at least ct1
  • Options
    May I ask if there’s a reason you’re only getting 200 crystals a day? Getting more crystals might be the thing you can focus on, so that you can in turn do more energy refreshes to farm character/ship shards instead of buying them outright.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    Wow. I didn't read the buying shards for crystals, yes that is bad idea with such a small income of crystals.
  • Options
    Coolnessda wrote: »
    I've been playing for 5 years and as a free to play gamer on a tight budget and know all too well the difficulty of powering up toons quickly. For the longest time my approach has been investing in 7 starring toons first since most development can't be completed until then and many events require them at that level. After that I focus on gear and then relics. Mods don't really get too much attention beyond using whatever the game thinks is best and slicing them if necessary. However I want to try a new approach on how I develop my toons from now on. Mods are not my strong suit so my thoughts have been to possibly research best mod sets first so I could get some use out of low level toons. My usual crystal income daily is roughly 200 and I tend to save them for shard purchases or gear when I'm very close to finishing a toon so I'm not too concerned about daily refreshes. I'm just looking for the most cost effective way to get use out of low level toons during development.

In your original post, you said you use crystals for shard purchases & gear.
    You also said your not too concerned about daily refreshes.

Your statements have sparked my curiosity.
    I have a few Curious questions.

What shard purchases & gear items are you buying?
    Do you buy very specific items or just random items?
  • Options
    Mostly kyrotech stuff and the final shards if I'm really close to 7 stars.
  • Options
    coolnessda whats ye ally code ?