Is it worth doing Sandbag?

Dapper7425_
23 posts Member
edited December 2023
Do you know if you can earn more crystals if you lose 9 GAC in a row and then win 9 in a row? Instead of playing it and win the half or less?
Mi idea is to make sandbag in 3v3 and then play the 5v5.
I know is sad to do this, but I would like to take advantage of the ridiculous matchmaking.
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Options
    You’ll probably lose out on some crystals doing it that way, but it might make the mode more fun for you? Worth it is hard to define.
  • Options
    You assume that you'll win 9 in a row. There are very good players out there, who make wonders with limited rosters.
  • Options
    Also if there are enough players doing this, you are gonna run into each other on your winning streaks. So yeah, the "I'll win 9 just because I threw 9" assumption is pretty big.
  • Options
    I remember Thysk pointing out, that in the “win 50%” paradigm, you get more Crystals going 0-3/3-0 than 1-2/2-1.
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    I remember Thysk pointing out, that in the “win 50%” paradigm, you get more Crystals going 0-3/3-0 than 1-2/2-1.

Why would that be the case? In the weekly rewards you get 250c per win effectively, and then you would also be getting the crystals for three wins and three losses. The potential down side is that if you lose 3 in a row you could drop to a lower league and earn less daily for a day or two.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Do you know if you can earn more crystals if you lose 9 GAC in a row and then win 9 in a row? Instead of playing it and win the half or less?
    I know is sad to do this, but I would like to take advantage of the ridiculous matchmaking.

If I'm not mistaken, then someone on the forums did the math on that many months ago, and it turned out that you lose a tiny bit of crystals that way, with the potential to lose more. But it wasn't a huge amount. So if you are ok with losing out on some crystals in exchange for more fun, then go for it. At the end of the day it's only up to you and what you value more. Better rewards, or more fun.
  • Screerider
    1394 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Why would that be the case? In the weekly rewards you get 250c per win effectively, and then you would also be getting the crystals for three wins and three losses. The potential down side is that if you lose 3 in a row you could drop to a lower league and earn less daily for a day or two.
    For #1 (3-0) you get 750 and for #8 (0-3) you get 100, making 850. For #2-4 (2-1) you get 500 and for #5-7 (1-2) you get 250, making 750. Wins/losses is 50-50 in both cases, so the potential to climb or drop leagues is the same and doesn’t need to be considered.
  • Options
    I dont care so much about 3v3 - atm K2 is so toxic. Perhaps i will lose also all 9 and fall below K3 and then i will have more easier battles when we have 5v5. Atm too many whales/kraken are in K2 ... because K1 is getting smaller and smaller. Its no fun to play GA and lesser fun to play 3v3.
  • Options
    Sairiki1 wrote: »
    I dont care so much about 3v3 - atm K2 is so toxic. Perhaps i will lose also all 9 and fall below K3 and then i will have more easier battles when we have 5v5. Atm too many whales/kraken are in K2 ... because K1 is getting smaller and smaller. Its no fun to play GA and lesser fun to play 3v3.

This is basically what I do. Usually 3-6 during 3v3 which drops me enough that I get more appropriate matches in 5v5. Much more enjoyable for me.

But, I don't think K1 is getting smaller still after they updated the squish. Not sure we'll know until we get Tatian'as numbers, though sounds like that might be a while.
  • rickertron
    338 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

You are assuming you will be dropped far enough after losing 9 in a row that your competition will be significantly weaker. My own experience tells me that you would have drop a lot further than losing 9 in a row will get you to get to place where you will easily win 9 in a row.
  • Sairiki1
    185 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    [/quote] But I don't think K1 is getting smaller still after they updated the squish. Not sure we'll know until we get Tatian'as numbers, though sounds like that might be a while.[/quote]

K1 is a lot smaller. When we started so many players were in K1 and a lot of them are in K2 or K3 now and it's not because they are bad. They have good roster with good and a lot datacrons.
  • Options
    But I don't think K1 is getting smaller still after they updated the squish. Not sure we'll know until we get Tatian'as numbers, though sounds like that might be a while.

K1 is a lot smaller. When we started so many players were in K1 and a lot of them are in K2 or K3 now and it's not because they are bad. They have good roster with good and a lot datacrons.

You missed the "after they updated the squish" part...
  • Dapper7425_
    23 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Totally agree. 3v3 sucks.
    Also, if you add the datacrons it's a real.
    Better to play only the 5v5 vs easier opponents :)
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • Options

For #1 (3-0) you get 750 and for #8 (0-3) you get 100, making 850. For #2-4 (2-1) you get 500 and for #5-7 (1-2) you get 250, making 750. Wins/losses is 50-50 in both cases, so the potential to climb or drop leagues is the same and doesn’t need to be considered.

Oh but it should be considered, at least in which point you drop as if you drop the last GAC of the month you will miss on more crystals.

Also, this idea assumes you have control over your W-L, which in practice is hardly true. You either are at the top of your capabilities, where you will get harder opponents and might lose unexpectedly, or you're below your cap, but in that case you're already missing crystals for being lower.

On the other side, trying to min-max crystal income while not trying hard on GAC is kinda ironic. If you don't wan to stress yourself with GAC, don't stress yourself about crystal income, the difference will never be that much anyways. And if you really care about crystal income you will need to try harder on GAC anyways.
  • Options
    Granolo wrote: »
    Also, this idea assumes you have control over your W-L,

No. It's just pointing out you get more Crystals for one 50-50 record over another 50-50 record.
  • Options

Thanks @Screerider , that was my bad. I thought the 8th place didn’t get any crystals. I still wouldn’t want to try the 0-3 and 3-0 approach, seems like too much of a risk to try and get the 3-0 after.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg