Feelings on New Legendary Characters

stewman1991
155 posts Member
edited January 11
Ok so I have seen some new content on Bo-Katan I have to ask why she is not a gl but she can beat at least 3 of them from those numbers posted? Is she really that strong and if she is why would you farm 14 characters opposed to 4? I know you cant farm most of them yet but still that is insane that some of these new characters without omnicrons are beating gls.

Replies

• Options
    She gets beat too easily on defense by too many pedestrian teams to be a GL.

She isn’t as strong outside of GAC (no omicrons) as GLs are or other specialty omicrons (such as DTMF in TW).

She doesn’t have the lore or clout in the SW universe or fan-base of a GL.

She is a very very solid next-gen Legendary character. She is on-par with Starkiller and Aphra, which can also beat multiple GLs on Offense.

Frankly, I think CG nailed this one. It’s too bad she has such little fanfare in-game right now… was probably a bad idea announcing her alongside Bane.
  • Options
    Dwinkelm wrote: »
    Frankly, I think CG nailed this one. It’s too bad she has such little fanfare in-game right now… was probably a bad idea announcing her alongside Bane.

I think the lack of fanfare is that she is has an event that already came and went with only 1 character being farmable still. Bane is a Conquest character, so there will be about 10x as many Bane unlocks when he is first available.
  • Options
    You need to unlock 2 full teams for starkiller to use him correctly and with aphra I have really only seen her used against Jabba. Idk maybe for me it just seems like she is more viable when she become farmable than pushing for a gl bc you need so many unlocks and relic levels. These new Legendary characters seem to be on another level entirely for me.
  • Options
    You need to unlock 2 full teams for starkiller to use him correctly .

What does that mean? I Use Ep, MJ, SK, Visas & a random jedi to take out Rey teams.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    You need to unlock 2 full teams for starkiller to use him correctly and with aphra I have really only seen her used against Jabba. Idk maybe for me it just seems like she is more viable when she become farmable than pushing for a gl bc you need so many unlocks and relic levels. These new Legendary characters seem to be on another level entirely for me.

None of the characters you listed are Legendary Event Characters.
  • Rius
    368 posts Member
    Options

I am not sure why you are concerned about Bo-Katan. She is a higher tier than SK and Aphra whom both counter GL’s and in the same tier as GAS who counters GLs. I think it’s fine that she can counter some. For anyone who has unlocked her during her first time limited event deserves to have something effective and worth the investment. Previous comments compare how she is not as good as a GL, and make some great points. Yet she did require 3 new characters whilst being time limited. So early unlocks are far more rushed than a new GL which are released without time gating with many more requirements. That allows you to pace the new characters.

In terms of fanfare I actually think with her appearance in CW and Mandalorian she will have more attention once she is more accessible. Similar to JKCK for many of us we did not get excited because it was not immediately achievable or he is useful for squads we don’t have yet and we still have other desirable characters to chase. But I will be farming both soon as I can.
  • Drathuk916
    631 posts Member
    edited January 12
    Options
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »

What does that mean? I Use Ep, MJ, SK, Visas & a random jedi to take out Rey teams.

Oh so you dont need kyle katarn, dash rendar, and darth talon to unlock him got it lol
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

I am not sure why you are concerned about Bo-Katan. She is a higher tier than SK and Aphra whom both counter GL’s and in the same tier as GAS who counters GLs. I think it’s fine that she can counter some. For anyone who has unlocked her during her first time limited event deserves to have something effective and worth the investment. Previous comments compare how she is not as good as a GL, and make some great points. Yet she did require 3 new characters whilst being time limited. So early unlocks are far more rushed than a new GL which are released without time gating with many more requirements. That allows you to pace the new characters.

In terms of fanfare I actually think with her appearance in CW and Mandalorian she will have more attention once she is more accessible. Similar to JKCK for many of us we did not get excited because it was not immediately achievable or he is useful for squads we don’t have yet and we still have other desirable characters to chase. But I will be farming both soon as I can.

I am opening up a debate bc I still dont know how I feel about it. I guess my concern right now is like I said she is viable for 3gl counters totaling what like 36 farmed character to her 4. Yes I understand right now she is not really unlockable unless you want to pay for her. SK and aphra right now counter 1 and 1 gl. I know newer characters need to be more powerful for them to make money too. Another thing for me is wasting time for ds or ls energy to farm for a gl. Why would I do that if I can have unlimited tries for a character like this that can counter gls. GAS was a pain but at least you never even had the chance of wasting tickets lol. If I was a whale I would have got this character hands down in the condition she is in now.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options

Oh so you dont need kyle katarn, dash rendar, and darth talon to unlock him got it lol

First of all, that's not two teams. Second of all, you could have just answered the question when he said he didn't know what he meant.

Also, your premise is ridiculous anyway.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »

First of all, that's not two teams. Second of all, you could have just answered the question when he said he didn't know what he meant.

Also, your premise is ridiculous anyway.

Oh you really got me there lol
  • Options
    SK and aphra right now counter 1 and 1 gl.

This is just wrong. With the current DCs, Aphra hard counters Jabba, SEE, and JML and she soft counters LV and Rey (depending on the comps). And SK right now is kinda crappy because his best counters are against UFU GLs. But, when SK came out, IIRC, he was reliable against Rey and SLK and could work on all the others except JMK.
    I am opening up a debate bc I still dont know how I feel about it.

I think you shouldn't worry. She'll probably be stupid OP with a DC in the next set, but the she'll settle right back into the same tier as her counterparts. But if she does turn out to be too OP, we know CG isn't afraid to bring down the nerf hammer.
  • Haugs
    181 posts Member
    Options
    Tbh I don’t understand the point of this thread.
  • Options
    GLs are being beaten by "pedestrian" teams as well. Bo-Mandalor is the new shiny, so of course she's going to be killing it.

Same as the Grand Inquisitor's lack of event for 6 months, someone in the "we'll be jerks about it!" office of CG decided to roll out an event to see how many would whale out for Bo-Mandalor and about 900 of us did. This was done as a test of "FOMO" psychology. I don't think it worked as well because they did it during Christmas when people are spending on so many other parts of life. If it happened in February or March, it would've been far more successful in my opinion.

But, due to her team's success, the next time her event rolls around, a lot more players will be unlocking her and then shortly thereafter unlocking Bane.
  • Options
    Haugs wrote: »

I was just trying to open conversation about some of these characters that can beat gls without needing to farm as much, thats all.
  • Options
    Haugs wrote: »

I was just trying to open conversation about some of these characters that can beat gls without needing to farm as much, thats all.

Basically, any "new" character they bring out that has significant requirements is going to be a GL killer. There are a couple of exceptions, but their "GL's are the top tier in the game!" mantra ended about 10 minutes after they claimed that as the standard.

So, new shiny is going to be better than GL, with a couple of exceptions. I would recommend staying on target with whatever you do have because there are always going to be new shinies they want you to chase after and spend money on. characters and ships in this game are like luxury cars. They depreciate about 20% as soon as they drive off the lot and after that don't get much attention. (Even if there's a bug that hinders players use of the character.)

Make a plan for what characters you want to build and stick to it until they're done. Then choose another, and so on. (build some "fun" characters that you want to unlock once in a while, it'll definitely help your enjoyment.)
  • Options
    I'm not hating on newer characters I just want to say that. Crex is absolutely amazing in breathing new life into some of those older teams, which I love.
  • Options

I don't even have Visas at relic. I use Baby Cal as my LS UFU and it works just as well.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    There are a couple of exceptions, but their "GL's are the top tier in the game!" mantra ended about 10 minutes after they claimed that as the standard.

I would not trade any GL I have for Epic Bo-katan. It's not because non-GLs teams can beat GLs that GLS are not the top tier anymore.

But I would agree it opens up vey interesting possibilities for someone currently choosing which characters to farm.

For about 12 prerequisites, should I farm first 1 Bokatan+1 SK + 1 Aphra or 1 GL ? I don't have a definitive answer, but that's what make it interesting for players asking hemselves this very question. Add GL ships and you got yourself a farming puzzle.

• Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    There are a couple of exceptions, but their "GL's are the top tier in the game!" mantra ended about 10 minutes after they claimed that as the standard.

I would not trade any GL I have for Epic Bo-katan. It's not because non-GLs teams can beat GLs that GLS are not the top tier anymore.

But I would agree it opens up vey interesting possibilities for someone currently choosing which characters to farm.

For about 12 prerequisites, should I farm first 1 Bokatan+1 SK + 1 Aphra or 1 GL ? I don't have a definitive answer, but that's what make it interesting for players asking hemselves this very question. Add GL ships and you got yourself a farming puzzle.

I would trade a couple for Bo-Mandalor. Last week one of my opponents put all 8 GLs AND Bo-Mandalor on defense. I beat all 8 only using 3 GLs because I kept "newer" released characters for offense, including Bo-Mandalor.

If you don't have a fully built LS Mandalorian team, then Bo-Mandalor is a "later" farm. I would go for SK before Aphra. Jabba and Leia have some similar requirements and are a lot easier to unlock than previous GL's. Jabba or Leia would be easier to work to unlock early on than Bo-Mandalor.

If you don't have Leviathan, get Profundity or Executor. There are ways to beat all three, but it helps to have at least one of the three built for fleet arena, to get crystals, among other reasons. (Fleet arena is where the steady crystal income is.)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

I would trade a couple for Bo-Mandalor. Last week one of my opponents put all 8 GLs AND Bo-Mandalor on defense. I beat all 8 only using 3 GLs because I kept "newer" released characters for offense, including Bo-Mandalor.

I'll try to guess your five counters:

SK vs Rey
    Fennec vs LV
    Aphra vs Jabba
    JKR vs SLKR (going old school there)
    Inqs vs JMK

With Bo subbing for someone in there. Am I close ? If so, what did you use against Bo ? Or mirror ?

• Options
    #1 I don't think we will see her event for about 4 more months so this data cron set will be long gone.

#2 More players routinely unlock conquest reward toons immediately than whale on a legendary toon. CG's attempts to increase spending in conquest mode reflects this pattern. We have had at least two surveys related to conquest spending habits and the changes reflect directly from the questions. Less uses per tech - hope you spend more. Lower cost of stims, hope you buy stims in the first place. More rewards early but throughout the conquest if you buy the $30 pass to include omicrons.
    For 3x $10 passes and 3x energy refreshes a day, you can typically get the red crate in about 9-10 days per series. I don't know how much it costs to unlock IG12 etc... via packs on day 1 but it sure is more than $30 unless you bet the odds on a pack and get more than a handful of shards. You are not having to buy stims to refresh toons and can stagger the critical enablers like Rey across the entire event time frame.

Just rambling I guess