Your thoughts on the raid system

I'd like to know what you think about the raid system. Sure it's been out for a while and when it first came out I remember not many players liked it for one reason or another. For me I think it did ok in improving certain aspects of raids like making raids last longer so everyone can get a chance to participate and the rewards (though not great) are fair and not based on rank like it was before. However I don't like how restrictive it is with only being able to use certain factions and the rewards being just tokens is just lazy and terrible since players now have to spend more time spending them on stuff and the tokens you do need don't pay out enough while the others pay out too much and don't give you enough good stuff to spend it on.

Replies

• Options
    I find I'm having to browse through the Shipments to spend my Raid 1 and Raid 3, so I don't hit the caps. Raid 2 doesn't have this problem.
  • LordDirt
    5010 posts Member
    Options
    Pretty good raids so far minus the moving background. Really helps get characters to R8 pretty quickly.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    The raid itself isn't super compelling, but I do really like the new method and cadence. Agree the scrolling background is awful, and I agree that the way shipments is handles is very bad. I don't really have much use for mk1 so I have to scroll down and buy credits every day so I don't cap out.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    The raid itself isn't super compelling, but I do really like the new method and cadence. Agree the scrolling background is awful, and I agree that the way shipments is handles is very bad. I don't really have much use for mk1 so I have to scroll down and buy credits every day so I don't cap out.

Spend it on mk3 gel to convert to CCB.
    Conversion rate sucks but at least not capping out.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »

I don't cap out because I buy credits. But I don't want or need credits. I could buy mk3 gel, it would at least drain the mk1 faster, but would take more searching.
  • Options
    If you’re talking about how we get tokens to spend on whatever gear or relic mats we need, the new system is great.

If you’re talking about the Endor Raid specifically? Awful. Reminds me of the SLKR/Rey unlock tier where you just dodge parry and whatever the third option is. Big thumbs down, so I hope the new upcoming raid lets us use character abilities again.
  • Options
    If you’re talking about how we get tokens to spend on whatever gear or relic mats we need, the new system is great.

If you’re talking about the Endor Raid specifically? Awful. Reminds me of the SLKR/Rey unlock tier where you just dodge parry and whatever the third option is. Big thumbs down, so I hope the new upcoming raid lets us use character abilities again.

I believe we're seeing a preview of the upcoming Naboo Raid on Sector 3 of Conquest, the repeated waves of Battle Droids.
  • Options
    Azpiri wrote: »

I believe we're seeing a preview of the upcoming Naboo Raid on Sector 3 of Conquest, the repeated waves of Battle Droids.

Hopefully there will be more to it, maybe a phase where you fight Gungans with sep droids, maybe a ship phase where you’re trying to escape the planet and can earn shards for a new ship? I appreciate that Endor is easy to auto if you don’t care about your scores much but it would be nice to have a raid that’s both interesting and has a raid specific reward beyond mk3 to motivate people although I guess that would kind of defeat the purpose of moving mk3 with every new raid.
  • Options

See, I'm torn here.

One the one hand, I do like using my full teams.

On the other hand, they are restricting me in what teams I can use, frankly the Krayt raid **** for that.

When it popped up, I didn't have Jabba yet, so I had some R5 OR Jedi but you couldn't make a whole team at R5 w/ them so it was running them as a Trio or pairing them up w/ G12 characters.

Tuskens? Jawas? Remainder of the OR team? rrrriiigghhtt.

Bounty Hunters w/o Jabba? Meh.

Fact is, doing that raid ****, IMHO.

Then comes along the SB Raid.

More limited teams where I can't use half my rebels.

And even the excuse of "only those at Endor" fails to explain why R2 wasn't included or why Magma/Shore etc Troopers are included.

But at least w/ SB raid they turned it into a "Mini-Game" w/in the game.

Which while I'm not in love with it, at least means that not having entire teams would be okay since you were not playing w/ full teams.

My biggest fear w/ the Naboo Raid will be that they give you a very limited # of characters to use that don't form the full teams AND then expect you do be able to do anything w/ them.

The worst combo of both previous raids & one that will make me cry out for the good old days of Pit, Tank, Sith raids.

The idea of being limited to Gal Rep but not being able to touch any of the characters from the AotC, TCW, & RotS and having to clear those B1's similar to this conquest is just sad & would only make me hate the game even more.

As for the Loot system.

I hated it at first.

Hated the overall loss of total loot shards.

Hated the clearly imbalanced pricing for various items.

Hated the caps forcing you to basically blow out your rewards every 3-12 days regardless of what is showing in the stores at that time.

But, the choose what you want nature of it was interesting.

It's grown on me, but I still want those caps removed/increased. (Especially the Mk1s)
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »

I don't cap out because I buy credits. But I don't want or need credits.

I like mods
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I like it in general, but there’s not enough rewards for individual achievement, and the difference between the levels of reward for the guild at large is laughable. Ie, there’s almost no point in trying particularly hard to max your score. Which is fine with me but I question the point.

What I would like, though, is a way to also do the old raids. Maybe with tweaks to make them solo focused. It’s sad to only do the “latest” raid when they don’t last all that long anymore.
  • Options
    First let me say that @CG_Tusken_Meathead we were told that the UI for shipments would be updated to make it easier to find what you needed -- and not explicitly promised, but it was in the context of repeated requests for a toggle to sort by currency so when you wanted to spend Mk1 Raid tokens, only Mk1 purchases would show up, etc.

The UI did get an update, but it did not address this at all. This is still a serious need.
    The Raid store has WAY too many options, and you're forced to constantly scroll to get rid of your Mk1 currency. Though we really need to restrict the store to one currency at a time using some command or toggle (or even a sort function that moves certain currency purchases to the top), if you changed nothing else, flipping the location of the items would help since we can spend Mk3 relatively quickly, but Mk1 involves constant trickle spending every 6 hours.

PLEASE update the store UI somehow to make this more player friendly. It's genuinely awful.
    I don't play this card often, because I don't think I should have to given that this change would benefit all players, but I have a bone disorder and I know it seems insane to people without serious disabilities but it physically hurts just to type, press icons, or swipe repeatedly.

I'm not saying it's agony, but I'm saying that you have hundreds of thousands of players and you can't assume that the minor inconvenience for some is the same effect that bad UI design will have on all of us. This should be a higher priority than it seems it has been.

OKAY. That out of the way...

I like the weekly cadence, I like having 3 days to get it done. Sometimes I think I want more, but three days really is enough. I don't think guild participation would go up if it was extended, I think guild procrastination would go up.

Pick your own rewards -- aside from the UI, this has worked out well. I also think that making most rewards guild-wide is a good idea. Cooperation strengthens guilds, and strong guilds makes for better player retention for CG and more fun for the players. I really do think it's a win-win.
    I am definitely shorter on g12 gear than I used to be, but I'm definitely better off with relic mats, and that's fine for me. Of course, I'm a player who has only 30 g12 toons left to take to r1. I can boost my incoming new toons to relic and still make slow, steady progress gearing those g12 toons. Trading relic mats for g12 would ultimately hurt me, I think, since I have no high priority toons left at g12 and in the foreseeable future all my toons will be relic'd. I'm not sure when that will be since it depends on the cadence of new releases which has been high lately, but if there's a lull after Amidala, PK, and nuQGJ I would finish 5-6 months from now, and if there's not, I'll still be done in less than a year. g12 is thus a temporary problem.

The upshot of that spoiler is that I think the balance is correct for endgame players who have everything at 7* save new toons not yet farmable. If you're not quite that far along, it might not be the right balance.

As a result, I'd like to make a proposal that won't help me at all: Provide 3-6 slots in Weekly Shipments that use Mk3 raid tokens to purchase fully complete g12 pieces.
    The pieces should heavily prioritize the gear that is in most demand. Right side pieces can and should be significantly more expensive than left side pieces. This isn't meant to be a bargain or the best use for those Mk3s. It's just meant to allow people that are more midgame to boost g12 gear as needed. I'll keep rolling with relic mats, but I'm mindful of the needs of others here.

Right. Now reviewing the raids as playable content...

I liked playing the Krayt raid quite a bit. I liked how there were effectively different mechanics for different factions. It was quite interesting. That said, it was too time consuming and I'm glad that we went to a 1/week cadence with the SBR. I would be happy to play the Krayt again someday.

TSBR: The moving background doesn't bother me, but because it negatively affects others I support the call to change that or provide a toggle that changes that. I'm sad that your artistic ideas ended up causing problems for some players, because I see what you were doing with that, and it worked for me.

The potent combination of Rebel+Imp, combined with a straightforward strategy for playing that combination makes it easier to maximize your contribution if that's what you're into, but it's less intellectually interesting.

While on the whole I prefer more interesting (and inevitably more complicated) raids and special missions (y'all know how much I loved KAM), I actually think that it's good if the game bounces back and forth between a raid much more like Krayt, with different strategies for different factions, and one much more like TSBR, with a general approach you're going to use with as many squads as possible. The latter is much more accessible to people who aren't interested in theory crafting or mastering something complicated, and there is a LOT to do in the game, so I don't blame them. I don't know if it was intentional on CG's part to craft one raid that requires mastering several different strategies followed by one raid with a very basic strategy repeated across squads, but it worked.

With the current raid cadence, I think alternating those approaches is a good idea. If we were doing one raid for 2 years straight before a change, I don't think alternating would work b/c we'd be stuck on one approach for too long.

Finally, I just want to thank all y'all at CG for trying something new. I know that lots of people didn't like one or both of the new raids, but many people liked one or both quite a bit. If we always left things the same, the game would get stale.

I will, of course, continue to criticize you (I hope constructively) when I think you can make something better, but overall I think many things related to raids have been done well, certainly more things were good than bad.

• _Marec_
    101 posts Member
    Options
    Would be nice to see a rotation of Krayt, Speeder Bike, and whatever new raids.

And zetas need to be more affordable with Mk3 tokens than what they are.
  • Options
    I like the new raid system overall and actually like the concept behind speeder bike raid most of all, after significant initial scepticism.

The new reward system is much better than the old. We get loads more and more of what we need.

The updated cadence of 1 raid every 6 days is a good improvement as well.

The SBR mechanics is not as interesting maybe as Krayt, but the massive rng reduction makes your scores much more repeatable with less time invested, this on the whole is a win for me. I’m good with less interesting but less time consuming content.

The shift in raid every 9’ish months is understandable as you need to incentivise upgrading new toons.
    As is the toon limits since otherwise there would be little payback for CG in new raid releases.