Will the GA ranking problem be adressed soon?

Quite ridiculous that players with 3m gp are in the top10 kyber 1 in GA. This was first reported in decembre 2023. Why is it still the case 4 month later?

Replies

• Options
    hey those players obviously are high skilled.

"skillrating" is the name. they are just so good
  • Options

Lollll

Let me show you what i mean because i don't think you understand the problem...

1st pick a guy at position 7
    2nd pick, the guy who should be 1st but at positi9n 14th...

It is simply impossible.
    dcrysf8h5rvt.jpg
    2f4ljoqxi3lb.jpg
  • Options

Lollll

It is simply impossible.
    dcrysf8h5rvt.jpg
    2f4ljoqxi3lb.jpg

1ilqmhw8yl2r.gif
  • Options
    You assume the ranking is based on something like highest skill points or most wins. Maybe the ranking is based on something completely illogical.
  • Options

Lollll

It is simply impossible.
    dcrysf8h5rvt.jpg
    2f4ljoqxi3lb.jpg

yea that 3M GP guy definitly outsmarts the 14M GP guy. Thats why.
  • Options
    This has been discussed in a couple of previous threads. It’s a legacy issue from the switch between the old and new ranking system. It generates an odd pool of underpowered players at the top end of the ladder but it’s not a bug - it’s just working as unintended.

It’s a bit of a pain for those 14m tryhards who get knocked off the top spot by some casual player returning to the game after a couple of years living in an ashram- but otherwise doesn’t affect the price of eggs.
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    This has been discussed in a couple of previous threads. It’s a legacy issue from the switch between the old and new ranking system.

I thought this only started happening when they started the new squish a few months back, unless that's what you meant by "new ranking"?
  • Options
    ... it’s not a bug - it’s just working as unintended.

Not to go too off topic, but what is your definition of a bug, then? There seems to be a few folks with extremely narrow definitions of "bug" that fly in the face of how I've seen the term used--both professionally and casually.
  • Options
    ... it’s not a bug - it’s just working as unintended.

Not to go too off topic, but what is your definition of a bug, then? There seems to be a few folks with extremely narrow definitions of "bug" that fly in the face of how I've seen the term used--both professionally and casually.

At danger of going on esoteric tangent (I guess that’s less of a crime as the forum only has 3 days’ of life left) I would define a bug as a situation where the intended machine logic does not function (eg due to an unidentified flaw in the code etc). In this case, I’d argue the machine logic works but there is an unintended consequence. That’s not so much a bug in the code as in the wetware (and not so much we can do about that).

But my interpretation of what happened in this case is speculative (which is much more fun than labouring through the code to see what actually happened - clearly a philosophy shared by our friends at CG) - so happy to consider the possibility that it may be a bug. In which case it’s like that bug that makes people like cats - hard to make sense of but it won’t actually do any harm.
  • Options
    This has been discussed in a couple of previous threads. It’s a legacy issue from the switch between the old and new ranking system.

I thought this only started happening when they started the new squish a few months back, unless that's what you meant by "new ranking"?

I had thought it was the Squish when we were discussing it in January (I don’t really like the Squish or any Bayesian shenanigans which tend to throw up more problems than they solve) but the following comment from @StarSon sounded convincing to me:
    StarSon wrote: »
    ZaneMorell wrote: »
    That is so bizarre. Guess CG is finally going to have to show their math on how they actually calculate rankings.

Unless it’s not wai.

No they don't, because it's not a squish and has nothing to do with calculations. These are just accounts that had that SR before they changed things and then they didn't join for a long time. Now they are joining GAC but sitll have an inflated SR so get put at the top of K1 (and sprinkled elsewhere as well). They'll fall quickly enough, though it's still a super bummer for the people that don't get the easy wins up there.

• Screerider
    1379 posts Member
    Options
    Unless you're one of the accounts misplaced, does this really matter? Is it more of a pride thing or a whambulance thing?
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    Unless you're one of the accounts misplaced, does this really matter? Is it more of a pride thing or a whambulance thing?

I think it matters to the folks that do belong there that end up facing them. You don't land at the top of K1 because you're looking for easy matches.

Also if you're one of the misplaced - you've got months ahead of you before you can hope to be matched with someone who you might be able to beat - which feels bad.

Admittedly that's a relatively small number of people - but their experience in GAC should matter for something. This doesn't affect me, but I would like to see it fixed. Who knows if the next thing is going to affect me significantly and it goes unaddressed - then I'd be coming to the forums asking about it, for sure.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options

I had thought it was the Squish when we were discussing it in January (I don’t really like the Squish or any Bayesian shenanigans which tend to throw up more problems than they solve) but the following comment from @StarSon sounded convincing to me:
    StarSon wrote: »
    ZaneMorell wrote: »
    That is so bizarre. Guess CG is finally going to have to show their math on how they actually calculate rankings.

Unless it’s not wai.

No they don't, because it's not a squish and has nothing to do with calculations. These are just accounts that had that SR before they changed things and then they didn't join for a long time. Now they are joining GAC but sitll have an inflated SR so get put at the top of K1 (and sprinkled elsewhere as well). They'll fall quickly enough, though it's still a super bummer for the people that don't get the easy wins up there.

(@StarSon) If that is true, we should have seen reports before the new squish was put in place. Did we? I honestly don't remember, not that I was paying close attention anyway.
  • Options
    This forum is amazing. Even something as obviously wrong as this has defenders.
  • Options

Does it though?
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Sdtbarbarossa
    336 posts Member
    edited April 2
    Options

whats obviously wrong here? those people just have skill
  • Celoth
    24 posts Member
    Options
    IDK I kinda think it's entertaining.
  • Options

People with g11-g12 toons are beating people with 15 million gp and are on top positions of K1?? Yeah must be skill. It isn't suspicious at all.
  • crzydroid
    7314 posts Moderator
    Options

People with g11-g12 toons are beating people with 15 million gp and are on top positions of K1?? Yeah must be skill. It isn't suspicious at all.

They're NOT beating those people though. They have been given erroneous SRs by the algorithm. They end up just losing every battle until they drop.

None of us can say CG isn't doing anything about it. Without seeing under the hood, we can't say how difficult or easy it is to implement a fix that doesn't break other things.
  • Options
    I think it matters to the folks that do belong there that end up facing them. You don't land at the top of K1 because you're looking for easy matches.
    Just a temporary vacation.