Anti-Meta Team Discussion

EwokRampage
116 posts Member
edited December 2015
Current Meta
In the top ten for pvp arena here is what I have been seeing as the most common team composition in order of appearance.

1. Darth Sidious
2. Luminara
3. Darth Vader
4. Darth Maul
5. IG-88/Old Ben/Kylo/Other

Things to Counter

1. Maul AOE
2. Luminara Heal
3. Vader Culling Blade
4. Handle Debuffs

Counter Team Ideas

Here is where we need to discuss the best way to handle this team without using the exact same team minus a **** AI(because that is just no fun).

Leader - Luke - Very High Tenacity leader skill. Helps entire team avoid debuffs. Has a stun and def down on a single target to help dispatch of Maul before he uses his AOE.

Support - Admiral Ackbar - The main reason to take Admiral Ackbar is his total debuff removal heal. If it is not the correct time to use it, he can use his turn to give someone else a full 100% turn meter.

Healer - Old Daka - A very good non- jedi healer just in case Maul's AOE does hit. Her basic attack stuns are very helpful in preventing Maul AOE and Luminara Heal.

Tank - Poe Dameron - It almost like the game makers anticipated the current meta and made Poe to tank against it. He is very fast allowing him to taunt early. His taunt when skill and gear is maxed out is very good at getting the entire team exposed helping you burst Maul down(keep in mind none of the current meta characters handle debuff removal). His Unique ability coupled with Luke leader make him almost immune to every debuff, even from Vader. Each time someone uses a debuff against him he heals up which is perfect for AOE's from Sid/Vader/Old Ben.

This last spot is am not entirely sure on... my thoughts would probably go to Sid for his heal immunity but if we are taking off the beaten path characters... a high percentage Ability Lock like Boba Fett, high single target damage from Leia/Tie Pilot to have an easier time getting rid of Maul, or a more off the wall pick in Dathca if you know your opponent is using IG-88 or IG-86.

Any other good counter ideas? The more creative the better :)

Replies

• Options
    Sorry to go off topic here, but I'm looking to build a similar team. Right now its:

Sid Leader
    Lumi
    Vader
    Dooku
    Consular

I'm gearing up IG88 to replace consular and then was planning on sub'ing Fett for Dooku (though I actually really like dooku and it will be hard to pull the trigger on replacing him).

I assume you feel Maul works better in this setup, I'm curious to hear why. The reason I ask, is it seems like Fett has good survivability, good damage and adds a 65% chance of ability lock with his aoe. I've used maul and was underwhelmed by his performance, but I'll admit I don't have him maxed out.

I've been all over the map in terms of which toons I wanted to focus on, which frankly has hurt my progression, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Again, sorry to be off topic
  • Options
    I think a lot of the reason people use Darth Maul is because he is amazing to attack the ai. Since the ai doesn't know to stun or kill him first he almost always gets his aoe off then healed by luminara making him extremely effective as an attacker. As a defender though he suffers from having very low speed and health making him a good first round target. So not saying he works better then Fett but they definitely work well in certain teams.
  • Options
    Qgj. He has the fastest cool downs for specials, and he isn't slow. Can't think of the specials names.

1st one do special damage and call an ally to assist. The assisting ally does 50% more dmg. 1 turn CD
    2nd one. Do special dmg and remove one positive buff from the target. 3 turn CD.
    Leader ability. All Jedi allies receive 23 speed. Good for all Jedi teams, but I think other leader abilities are better, like lumi

Also phasma ( working on her now ). Her speed decrease AoE ability can very quickly turn the battle.
  • Options
    Solid post. I have been considering the Luke + Poe synergy also since he heals on resist. Have a 6 star Luke but Poe is a big investment of time. Might do it after I get Boba to 6 though!
  • Options
    Current Meta
    In the top ten for pvp arena here is what I have been seeing as the most common team composition in order of appearance.

1. Darth Sidious
    2. Luminara
    3. Darth Vader
    4. Darth Maul
    5. IG-88/Old Ben/Kylo/Other

Things to Counter

1. Maul AOE
    2. Luminara Heal
    3. Vader Culling Blade
    4. Handle Debuffs

Counter Team Ideas

Here is where we need to discuss the best way to handle this team without using the exact same team minus a **** AI(because that is just no fun).

Leader - Luke - Very High Tenacity leader skill. Helps entire team avoid debuffs. Has a stun and def down on a single target to help dispatch of Maul before he uses his AOE.

Support - Admiral Ackbar - The main reason to take Admiral Ackbar is his total debuff removal heal. If it is not the correct time to use it, he can use his turn to give someone else a full 100% turn meter.

Healer - Old Daka - A very good non- jedi healer just in case Maul's AOE does hit. Her basic attack stuns are very helpful in preventing Maul AOE and Luminara Heal.

Tank - Poe Dameron - It almost like the game makers anticipated the current meta and made Poe to tank against it. He is very fast allowing him to taunt early. His taunt when skill and gear is maxed out is very good at getting the entire team exposed helping you burst Maul down(keep in mind none of the current meta characters handle debuff removal). His Unique ability coupled with Luke leader make him almost immune to every debuff, even from Vader. Each time someone uses a debuff against him he heals up which is perfect for AOE's from Sid/Vader/Old Ben.

This last spot is am not entirely sure on... my thoughts would probably go to Sid for his heal immunity but if we are taking off the beaten path characters... a high percentage Ability Lock like Boba Fett, high single target damage from Leia/Tie Pilot to have an easier time getting rid of Maul, or a more off the wall pick in Dathca if you know your opponent is using IG-88 or IG-86.

Any other good counter ideas? The more creative the better :)

I like the thought you put into this. Interesting that you are seeing so much of Vader.

What ranks are you usually playing in?

I've only seen him a handful of times, although I admit he can be a fit with the right team.

My only concern with the setup you described is there is only 1 attacker. Perhaps Poe and daka would help enough that you don't need much burst? If DM is giving you issues though, you will need to burst him down before his turn meter.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Options
    Finally, a player besides myself who took a hard look at Ackbar.

Here's my squad:

Phasma lead
    Leia
    Ackbar
    Lumi/Old Daka
    86/Lando/FOTP/Kylo
  • Options
    op, how fast exactly is Poe?
  • Options
    I haven't maxed him out yet but I think around 125-130 speed for Poe is my best guess. So he beats most people except Sid/Leia/dooku. Rheen, yea that is why I think the last spot might be suited better to a strong single attacker. Luke + the fifth person I am hoping will be enough to handle Maul. I am usually in top 10(although with a completely different group then above) in my server, almost everyone has Vader maxed at 4/5 stars coupled with Sid and other debuffer you are looking at an 11k+ culling blade unless you remove debuffs or have high tenacity.
  • Options
    I run with Luminara, 5s, Dooku, Chewie, and Ventress....Hit #1 on my server yesterday and top 10 again today. Killing Sid and Lumi is pretty straight forward. I rarely see Maul. I take care of Vader last. He doesn't do enough damage except under wild circumstances (as an example 1-1 even Chewie will win against him). Kylo is a bigger problem. He goes down after the healers/when he is not countering.
  • ZarAzi
    249 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I haven't maxed him out yet but I think around 125-130 speed for Poe is my best guess. So he beats most people except Sid/Leia/dooku. Rheen, yea that is why I think the last spot might be suited better to a strong single attacker. Luke + the fifth person I am hoping will be enough to handle Maul. I am usually in top 10(although with a completely different group then above) in my server, almost everyone has Vader maxed at 4/5 stars coupled with Sid and other debuffer you are looking at an 11k+ culling blade unless you remove debuffs or have high tenacity.

Wow sounds like a real threat. Could you give me his exact current speed? I wanna make an informed decision before dropping my cantina credits on him. Thanks! ^^
  • Options
    Poe at gear six sits at 123 speed. Gear 7/8 no idea.
  • Options
    Thanks @EwokRampage ! :)