The beauty of this update...

Prev13
YoYoYoda369
181 posts Member
edited April 2016
The latest update has been out for close to 15 hours now, and continuing with the trend of all previous updates, the grumbling of the community is unsettling and not very favorable. I feel that it has been too short a time to pass judgment, as I don't believe many have taken the time to THINK about these changes and realize that this is what SWGOH needs for continued success.

There is beauty in this update....

I can say this assuredly, as I am a player who has the ability to investigate all different aspects of these changes. Now, many of you will immediately say that because I'm a whale of epic proportions that I am unable to see it from a f2p or new player perspective. Please, hear me out before rushing to such conclusions.

Before this update was implemented SWGOH was a game of limited depth and difficulty. One would log in, quickly complete his/her dailies, auto through the challenges, sim for gear until out of energy, then wait around all day until arena payout times. That was the game in a nutshell... Not to much to THINK about. That's why the game was growing stale for many.

This new update has changed all of that, even for me and many others who stand on equal ground as myself.

We've seen damage get nerfed across the board, challenges and missions become more difficult, and arena battles that now take longer than 1 minute to complete. Isn't this what we've wanted from launch? Didn't we want a game we actually had to THINK about instead of mindlessly clicking a button over and over again?

Therein lies the beauty that I spoke of before...

You will begin to see arena teams crop up that we never thought viable before because previously shelved characters can no longer be one-shot. You will have to THINK about which characters you want to develop, as synergies may be a real thing and gear grinding takes weeks to get a character where you want them. Leaderboards will drift far away from a "one character" meta.

You will have to THINK about your squad composition in order to three-star a mission or complete a challenge. You can no longer throw in a five Jedi squad against a Darth Maul boss and expect a quick defeat.

Galactic War will be hell for the masses, because now you have to THINK about saving every single character from an untimely death. You have to be cognizant of the status of your entire squad going from node to node, as remaining protection and health of your individual characters really does matter. This is what a real war should be like!

I'm far from saying that this is a perfect game.

What I am saying is that this game is now making players THINK, whether it's utilizing their personal ingenuity to find that edge over their opponents, swapping in a more effective character to finish that last node of Galactic War, or even going out on a limb and gearing a character that may or may not pan out in the long run even though it took weeks of grinding.

This update is what was needed to bring longevity.

I have to tip my hat to the devs on this one, as I can see that this was a thoroughly thought out strategy.

Post edited by YoYoYoda369 on

Replies

• Options
    I hope you are right. I like to believe in this. Just now I can tell that GW took much longer. That is a disadvantage for a mobile game. But certainly the advantage is the from the ashes of the old style a fine strategic game might arise...
  • VVS
    52 posts Member
    Options
    +1 to everything with one exeption...GW is a bit too time consuming.
    Im F2P btw but rank #1 in my server now and before the update.
  • Options
    Which developer posted this under a different account?
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    it's a phone game for casual players

this isn't chess. if you believe this is a thinking game. ROFL

there is no thinking in this game - it's just about having the toons that are flavour of the month and the grind/race to get them. EA keep changing it to get ppl to spend more on new toons. try thinking about that instead of your pompous rhetoric about strat and telling the masses they are mindless iddiots.

look at poll and you will see the overwhelming majority of ppl are not happy with the update, regardless what you THINK

PS anyone who spends ridiculous amounts of cash on this game, needs to have a think. my 2 cents
  • Options
    Wow, not only you are saying that everybody else here is so intelligent they never needed to revert a fight in the GW or they didnt need to think while fighting (****, i was sitting on some fights more than 5 times to get it right), but you are also giving away your life and telling EA that logging in at least for 5-6 times a day and play for 20 minutes making this game take away 2 hours a day alredy, you want them to make this game last for 6 hours a day. im impressed.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • Options
    As for GW specifically, I'm f2p and I didn't struggle today. I only lost 1 toon (RG).
    Suikoden wrote: »

Not a dev, he's been around for a while.

| John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    Agreed, but some challenges and missions now need tuning. Foir B1 Battle Droids can kill two level 74 and max gear/star right at the beginning or a round later even with protection. I feel like there health was doubled and damage was doubled.
  • VVS
    52 posts Member
    Options
    lunarwolf wrote: »
    it's a phone game for casual players

this isn't chess. if you believe this is a thinking game. ROFL

there is no thinking in this game - it's just about having the toons that are flavour of the month and the grind/race to get them. EA keep changing it to get ppl to spend more on new toons. try thinking about that instead of your pompous rhetoric about strat and telling the masses they are mindless iddiots.

look at poll and you will see the overwhelming majority of ppl are not happy with the update, regardless what you THINK

PS anyone who spends ridiculous amounts of cash on this game, needs to have a think. my 2 cents

If u are not thinking just press > Auto
  • Options
    @ItsJarJarBinkz

I just started the level 77 cantina challenges, and I have to say, they are extremely difficult to three star! I have only been able to do it on one node so far. It will be a task, but that's what I have always wanted.
  • Options
    Lol yup.... Definitely a dev wrote this!! Cause he's a whale of EPIC PORPORTION!! Lol you say that in the mirror every morning? Lol jk idc what happens with the game. I'll still play I'll still enjoy. But next next time less tooting of your horn
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    We wanted new content, not old content being longer to complete.

We wanted challenging challenges, not the same challenges with increased difficulty just to stall us out.

We wanted interesting things to do, not boring things all over again.

This update fixes nothing. They made the game harder, not more interesting. This is not the right path.

Why not wait for the guild/raid update, see if players still want more things to do, then adjust?

When guilds are added, I don't see myself spending 3 hours a day to play a mobile game, and I am, truly, sad, because I love this game.
  • Options
    As someone who's FTP, been rank 10-50 everyday for months, finished GW everyday for months, etc. etc., I can't help but lean towards the negatives of this update.

Missions are harder now (Omega geared enemies), GW is just unfair, Challenges are impossible, and some of the nerfs went WAY too far.

I am HAPPY that pvp has been changed. I'm still rank 19 atm because I adapted my team to the changes, however I think they should have just stopped at pvp and left everything else as close to before as possible.

I think there should be no protection for enemy teams in GW, no increased difficulty in LS/DS/Cantina battles, and the challenges reverted back to normal or tweaked to mimmick pre patch.

I'd also like to see some tweaking on some of the nerfed Characters, for instance FOTP, which IS a glass cannon, now hits like a normal cannon, but still has the attributes of a glass cannon. Where is the sense in that?

Someone yesterday put it brilliantly, we were on one side of the balance pendulum, and rather than balancing it, they simply swung it to the other extreme.
  • Pagiraldo224
    6 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Realy!? .... People this is app!!! App!!!!! Not a chees gane. I like to play in my phone something to distract and have fun, if you people wants something to think go MMO like marvel héroes not a app game,
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more. This is what the community wanted. Arena matches last more than 2 turns, defense is relevant, and the challenges are actually....GASP......challenging. This is no longer a game where you can slot the 5 fastest characters and hit auto. You actually have to think and be creative. This update is far from perfect, but to me it's a huge step in the right direction.
  • thecuriousocelot
    1030 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Excellent post @YoYoYoda369 :) one request: unless you're a flying whale pls change the thread title to 'a perspective from the deep'. Thnx
  • Options
    The update made the game fun for me again. I can now use some of the characters i maxed a month ago. Arena is now about strategy rather than 3 DPS+daka+dooku. Planning buffs/debuffs AOEs heals and everything that made this game interesting, rather than calling an assist 4 times for the win.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy that they fixed the damage to health ratio. This was what everyone agreed was broken in the game. Chars weren't OP the ration of damage to health was flawed.

This has been fixed. Now the real balancing over the next few months can be done. I'm a big fan of the challanges being harder. GW is where I like it. It will need a level cap for rising players as there is no way you can beat a plus 10 level squad anymore. I'm concerned about arena in that draw teams will become meta.

The big thing is they built a platform that the game can develop from.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    +100
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Suikoden wrote: »

lol - it's better to not say anything and let people presume you are a clueless newb, than post something like this and remove all doubt.

I agree with the OP (and I'm a guppy - $15 spent and that was 3 months ago). Solid post and thank you.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Options
    Most people don't have / can't afford / don't have the time for that much "thinking" as you call it... I don't have the luxury of having a ton of different "synergies" to throw into a boss darth maul battle. Arena is built on raising up your best 5 and if you want to do that then ALL of your resources have to go into that 5.... if you aren't paying hundreds of dollars there is no way to keep that five going, farm 200 purple hair dryers AND farm up alternate troops to face this elusive boss darth maul. You defeated your own argument....

I love strategy as much as the next guy... but credit cards aren't a good strategy nor do they require "thinking"

• Pilot
    470 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Im a whale too. Like you yoyo, I have every hero at 7* and can explore the options. In fact, I did yesterday, explore the option. I'm on a LB with other whales (and in a guild with them), where we can actually adjust, communicate, test, adjust repeatedly.

Have you ever heard of the franchise TacoBell? Most likely, you have. All of the time they are releasing some new menu item. It is never anything new. It is always a taco, but now with a different sauce. Its hard to do much with tortilla shells, meat, cheese, and beans. There are only so many ways they can make something new out of those ingredients. Supreme Taco! Thats a regular taco with diced tomatoes added. Crunch Wrap Supreme! Thats a Tostada wrapped with a been filled flour tortilla. Point is... It isnt fooling anyone. At least not the 50% of the worlds population with IQs above 65.

Taking the EXACT same ship that we have been playing for 6 months, making it take 4 times as long, but STILL being the same ship, IS NOT NEW CONTENT! It is the opposite of what we wanted. In every way.

As for the meta... They didnt change it. I guess the devs are 1.5 months behind the players, in lala-land or something. Meta isnt entirely speed focused any more (pre-suckpatch). Its Dooku and evasion. And after testing every leader in the game vs top end teams, Dooku is still where its at. Thoughtless, mindless Dooku leader. He is now even more powerful, and RG is so far out there as a behemoth that you cannot get through the evades and the Iron Curtain. Its meta stapled.

Further, after the update, units like Tuskin Shaman, for no reason, took a nerf in power, dropping from well... Here is a before and after with no other adjustments but the update:

Before Update
    1rNkEdP.jpg

After Update
    icKoFma.jpg

So we get to play longer! Doing the same stuff we always did in a whole lot less time.... Thats stupid.
    Dooku, RG, and Rey are all just as top end as ever... Meta is the same.

It really is the same ship, just more time or money from us to do it. They dont give a **** that weve been doing it for 6 months and are sick of this ship.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with everything of what the OP stated!

This update is what we wanted, more variety and having to think. One thing that all the complainers are missing is that we are sitting at level 73-75. At 80, all of these challenges will be easy to auto again. Arena and GW will still be challenging but that is good right?
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    @RAYRAY

Changed title to reflect that my perspective is one that has the ability to look at all aspects of update.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I very much want to agree with @YoYoYoda369 and am willing to give this a week to see how it goes.
    Last night I agreed with @Pilot and even switched to using Dooku myself. But this morning, my top 20 features leaders I have not seen in a long time: Phasma, HK-47, and even Barriss has returned!
    Everyone needs to give this some time and see how it shakes out.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Dev_Str
    137 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @YoYoYoda369

I'll give the update a chance ... I too was quite frustrated when after 45 min I had nothing to do. I had a challenge in the GW for the first time since long, because I felt again very strong teams (synergy with pre-made level X gear). Challenges are a bit longer to do, but not harder for me. I will be nice to find some difficulty in cantina nodes, but I will have to wait to see it. (only lvl 75 atm)

But I think you're too optimistic on two points :
    1. Once a new "must-have" team will be found, everybody will chase it and the only diversity you'll have will be between the whale who can have it quickly, and the others.

3. There is a break point between time and rewards. Doing 1h30 GW will be funny for a short time, and tedious after that. After some days/weeks, lots of people are going to be discouraged at the beginning of their GW, and will get another application thant don't demand such an investment.

But as I said, let's wait and see.
  • Pstyle
    14 posts Member
    Options
    Please stop praising this update. It was a step in the wrong direction and has made the game less fun for a lot of people.
  • Options
    I like the purpose of this update and what they've done to achieve it. However I believe they've sorta missed the right point. Instead of just balancing, and making things more intelligent and thought-requirer, they still kept it unbalanced, just now the other way around. The excessiveness of health coupled with the nerfed attacks made the game as much balanced as it was before. And I'm not even mentioning the evasion up buff!

Yes, we'll have a more vast deck of usable toons, most of the time (and I cannot stress that any more, since sometimes it's just a button smasher game) more strategy not only during the actual play, but also while building up our team(s). And that I enjoy a lot.

But still, the game just became rather time-consuming. And worse, it started being preachy and many times unbelievably boring - and when I say that I'm basically thinking about GW and challenges. Where're going to find motivation to replay the same fights (that now last forever) over and over? I'm surely not pumped up for sunday.

And unfortunately you just can't say you've got the big picture. Your vision is biased since you represent 0,0...1% of the players. The excessiveness of maxed out toons on your roster, along with basically unending supplies of crystals will just make the new "boring aspect" of this update rather skippable, leaving you plenty of time to enjoy what's good about it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I very much want to agree with @YoYoYoda369 and am willing to give this a week to see how it goes.
    Last night I agreed with @Pilot and even switched to using Dooku myself. But this morning, my top 20 features leaders I have not seen in a long time: Phasma, HK-47, and even Barriss has returned!
    Everyone needs to give this some time and see how it shakes out.

As usual - the voice of reason. :)

Agreed 100%. I don't know about everyone else, but for some reason, it does my heart good to drop 5* Chewie and 3* JKG in GW - and have them crank through 3 nodes, protecting my A-team members...just like tanks and "Guardians" should. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @RAYRAY

Changed title to reflect that my perspective is one that has the ability to look at all aspects of update.

:) Then we are 100% in agreement!! Edited post to reflect our agreement:)
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV