Time to use droids I guess

Robert
150 posts Member
edited April 2016
My 29027 team just got absolutely wrecked by a 25287 droid team. I had no chance. lol Good times. I couldn't beat droid teams before around my squad power but usually had no issues with anything more than 2000 less than than me.

Replies

• Options
    Droids won pretty big with this update. I think they will return as the reigning arena champions.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • Options
    I used to have no problem with droid squads. They were cake. With protection though you can't take any out before they move, so you end a round with Poe taunting and exposing, Poggle giving offense up to everyone, IG88 AOE for massive damage (still) and taking protection and half health off a few toons, IG86 assist attacking to finish off one of your toons, then HK offense down and ability blocking your whole team.

So after one round, you've worked possibly one or two of them down to dead or dying, but you're left with a half health, low offense and ability blocked team versus their offense boosted team. Round two is mop up duty.

And since Dooku's lead is even more effective now with protection, that's one more potent arena squad that's a pain to take out.

After this update, I'm starting to be convinced that the game is just biased against Jedi's. The damage nerf comparison backs this up, and they're no longer really viable against most teams except other jedi squads.
  • Options
    if droids are the meta, i am the anti-meta! jawa/dathcha are ripping arena atm. although, on defense i lost to someone with Stormtrooper Han, and i feel he may be a nightmare and i don't wanna touch that...
  • Options
    I hear Han is getting some steam now that protection is in effect. Even before then he was taking down Dooku leads
  • Options
    I was able to one-shot a maxed 88 in arena this morning. I used a level 73, maxed GS with Poggle lead and got the assist from Poggle. I had one other game against a droid team last night after the update and while it took two shots to put 88 down, I was able to stun him with RG.
  • Bmo1128
    1 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A
    Post edited by Bmo1128 on
  • Options
    See, I'm trying to stay away from the overly used characters. I like having a squad synergy instead of throwing a bunch of hyped up random toons together like most do.

What I find funny is people say Poggle is only good for his offense boost ability, when I've seen him hit like a tank when he gets a crit with his offense up. Maybe those people are just comparing him to the other OP droids also critical hitting every toon and 1HKO'ing the whole opposition.
  • Options
    My full jedi squad doesn't have a chance lol
  • Options
    Yep my friend runs a poggle/gs/droid team and he's crushing everyone after the update.
    Meanwhile my team including savage and ventress are terrible now.
  • Options
    ST Han is going to be great. Mine is 6* working on 7 but I just can't find the credits to level him up plus main squad. Pretty stoked that I started farming him last month.
  • Artas
    223 posts Member
    Options
    when I see a droid team in Arena with leading either poggle or HK, it doesn't matter who is leading, I always attack them with Jedi and always win without loosing any toons. On the other hand, I have droids myself and can't use them in Arena and only in GW. This is not cool.
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options
    Artas wrote: »
    when I see a droid team in Arena with leading either poggle or HK, it doesn't matter who is leading, I always attack them with Jedi and always win without loosing any toons. On the other hand, I have droids myself and can't use them in Arena and only in GW. This is not cool.
    Lies! :-P What are the squad powers?
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    What's this? There are droids and other viable comps in arena now due to the update? There is no way the devs intentions are truly coming to fruition. /Sarcasm I hope I continue to see different comps in the top 10. I am not sure that the meta won't settle down to a few "best" teams but I feel like individual toons can be swapped and be viable. For instance. Need an assist character, well QGJ, GS, Biggs, 86, all bring something to the table. Need a tanky DPS? Savage, Kit, 5s can all fill that roll to some extent now. Need a tank to taunt, well STH, RG, Poe, CHEWY, are all viable now.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options
    I just tried my 28509 Jedi squad and got whipped by a 26460 droid team. Lost a toon before I got a turn. it took them longer to whip me but the result was never in doubt. Couldn't find the 25287 team (cause he's probably way above me now!).
  • Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    What's this? There are droids and other viable comps in arena now due to the update? There is no way the devs intentions are truly coming to fruition. /Sarcasm I hope I continue to see different comps in the top 10. I am not sure that the meta won't settle down to a few "best" teams but I feel like individual toons can be swapped and be viable. For instance. Need an assist character, well QGJ, GS, Biggs, 86, all bring something to the table. Need a tanky DPS? Savage, Kit, 5s can all fill that roll to some extent now. Need a tank to taunt, well STH, RG, Poe, CHEWY, are all viable now.
    I hope you're right. I would love to see more balance in the arena. I'm cool with people composing a great team, as long as the balance exists that there is a counter to that team. Which I believe they are trying to ensure.
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options
    You guys are missing the point.There is no balance when it comes to droids. Show me some if there is.
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options
    Show me a clip of a non droid team beating any droid team in which the droid team has a higher squad power (even if it's only 1 better) and I promise to conform.
  • Options
    Robert wrote: »
    Show me a clip of a non droid team beating any droid team in which the droid team has a higher squad power (even if it's only 1 better) and I promise to conform.

Droids naturally have a lower squad power at equal levels so you are asking for someone to beat a droid team when they are underleveled. Also, squad power is somewhat meaningless. As long as you are the within a few thousand you can beat a computer team with higher squad power.
  • Options
    See, I'm trying to stay away from the overly used characters. I like having a squad synergy instead of throwing a bunch of hyped up random toons together like most do.

What I find funny is people say Poggle is only good for his offense boost ability, when I've seen him hit like a tank when he gets a crit with his offense up. Maybe those people are just comparing him to the other OP droids also critical hitting every toon and 1HKO'ing the whole opposition.

Correct. I always assumed most people never bothered upgrading Poggle's basic, but once you do he hits pretty hard and seems to crit often.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Yes droids are the new meta, and I urge everyone on my leaderboard to use them :p
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options

Droids naturally have a lower squad power at equal levels so you are asking for someone to beat a droid team when they are underleveled. Also, squad power is somewhat meaningless. As long as you are the within a few thousand you can beat a computer team with higher squad power.

I think this is true to some extent but the droid teams that are beating me don't just have lower squad powers, they have much lower levels, stars and gear. It's called OP. They were OP before the changes and are even more so now.
  • Options
    I have a 32k poggle(l) GS IG86 QGJ RG team on a mid January shard. Works fine and was worth the switch away from Dooku lead...
  • Options
    I use Poggle (L), GS, 86, RG and ST Han. I don't know if that qualifies as a droid team or not, but I've creamed the two, more traditional droid teams I've come across in arena so far. They're barely able to kill my ST Han before I win. I even one-shotted an 88 this morning.
  • Options

I think this is true to some extent but the droid teams that are beating me don't just have lower squad powers, they have much lower levels, stars and gear. It's called OP. They were OP before the changes and are even more so now.

They definitely were not OP before the changes. Thank you for defining OP for me though.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options
    I know one thing.

Phasma's Advantage + IG88's AoE will be off the hook. Nothing but strong criticals for everyone.
  • Robert
    150 posts Member
    Options

They definitely were not OP before the changes. Thank you for defining OP for me though.

You are wrong and you are welcome.
  • Options
    Before, Droid squads were all high speed high damage. The update was supposed to fix this trend, but all it did was give these squads a shield to hide behind so you can't use other high speed squads (QGJ lead for instance) to take out a few of their toons to make it competitive.

You can make the argument they were and still are OP because of that power gap. When you have a 26k power team in the top ten competing against 29-31k teams, that's evidence of a power difference - literally. There is no argument that an AI controlled team with 2-5k less power should be able to compete or even often beat a team. You shouldn't be able to plug in a lower level, lower starred, lower geared team (less work) and beat teams that are better in every way. That tells you there's a flaw in the game.

I don't see how this is hard to understand, but then again the main opponent to it @Ztyle himself looks like a Geonosian, so I'm not surprised....