#1 Droid/Tank team after update

Prev1
I just took #1 when prizes were rewarded with this setup in the recent update.

Leader: Poggle 7*
GS 7*
IG-86 7*
IG-88 7*
ST Han 6*

I took #1 with 30 minutes left and held the place with no battle until prizes were rewarded.

I actually didn't meet any resistance from teams that were previously almost impossible for me to take out, such a teams with Rey, RG or lucky dodges from Dooku teams (which don't matter so much now).

The major advangtage with the recent update is that the proctection let's me fire of my glass cannon team for a much longer time and the update to ST Han makes him a very great synergy with his Turn Meter boost.

I used to run the same setup with a QGJ 6* and would be in #10-20 at rewards, but now ST Han and protection is leading the way.

Hope it can help someone experimenting with Droid/Poggle setups, please share ideas on Droid/Poggle teams.

Replies

• Options
    I used to run droids, but once there were speed teams everywhere, it became hard to take the top spot and if i did, i'd drop into the 30s overnight. Yesterday, after the update, I ran: HK(L), IG-86, IG-88, IG100, St Han and was able to beat teams, as the OP said, that I simply couldn't beat with droids prior to the update.

I have dropped more than i did with my double tank, Dooku, GS, DPS team (17th right now), but it appears that there's a lot more activity on my ladder's top 20 post update. There are a lot of new names in the top ten.

My IG-100 is six stars (the rest are maxed or close to it) I was happily surprised that 100 is strong after the update. He's real slow and now hits hard - his aoe is hitting for +3000k crits (which happens more often than not) removing time meter, with his regular attack regularly debuffing with offense down.

I'm happy that I can run droids again for a bit and it's awesome that there are several new team comps battling for the top spots.
  • Options
    I faced an IG-100 today and it gave me way more trouble than I expected. Because the opponent had a tank (and the tank survived much longer than he used to), IG-100 had speed and offense up fairly quickly because I couldn't hit him.
  • Options
    The protection really seems key to me, as the droids now won't get one shotted. For me it means I now manage to do a full round after Poggle offense up, which just desimates the opponent. Previously I would also hesitate to use IG-88 AoE because of all the Dookus, but with protection I can do it now without a care for Dooku. I wouldn't have used ST Han earlier either, as a droid might get killed before he even taunted anyway, but again protection lets ST Han taunt before first blood, and he stays alive much longer with the update meaning his turn meter boost really kicks in!
  • Options
    So it looks like we are back to everyone having a droid, Poggle, and GS team.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Yea droid teams are really good again which i am glad. They were the ones struggling most with Dooku. Even so it's not enough...payback i feel should be much bigger than what it is now. That being said Droid teams aren't meta. I've no idea even if there is a meta right now. I don't even know if i want anybody to know if there is one haha.
  • BnBTobacconist
    665 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That's what I run but with RG. RG > Han.. Crazy Health. Stun whoever you want when you need to. Call taunt when anyone is in trouble which basicially refreshes every round.
  • RagnarokDK
    14 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been using my 2 of me 3 left battles and faced a:
    7* all: Phasma (leader), Rey, RG, Leia, Old Daka
    It completely destroyed me, I only took a little of Rey's HP and all of RG shield. The stun from OD hit me hard thou.

Also faced a team of:
    7* all: QGJ (leader) Yedi Couns, Luminara, Yoda, IG-86
    I killed them without losing HP on any of my toons.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    That's what I run but with RG. RG > Han.. Crazy Health. Stun whoever you want when you need to. Call taunt when anyone is in trouble which basicially refreshes every round.

As you can see that's not the truth in his case!
  • Options

I would love to run a RG, but I am F2P player, so he will take some time to get, 4* now only. Sounds like you got an awesome team thou! Keep me posted if you get any new ideas! Are you loving the protection? :D
  • Options
    RagnarokDK wrote: »

I would love to run a RG, but I am F2P player, so he will take some time to get, 4* now only. Sounds like you got an awesome team thou! Keep me posted if you get any new ideas! Are you loving the protection? :D
    As RG is on one of the level 7 cantina nodes, farming him will be much faster soon.
    I'd love to hear how your team does with Phasma instead of Han (6* is fine too). I'm not sure if you even need a taunter (other than RG) with the new meta and Phasma's turnmeter and advantage are great. It would be very kind, if you tried that in your last battle.
  • Options
    Alexone wrote: »

huh? Just saying it would be better with RG, it's still a very good team.
  • Options
    MalEliza wrote: »

As RG is on one of the level 7 cantina nodes, farming him will be much faster soon.
    I'd love to hear how your team does with Phasma instead of Han (6* is fine too). I'm not sure if you even need a taunter (other than RG) with the new meta and Phasma's turnmeter and advantage are great. It would be very kind, if you tried that in your last battle.

Would you still want me to try with Poggle leading or with Phasma?
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @Rg
    Alexone wrote: »

huh? Just saying it would be better with RG, it's still a very good team.

What i mean is...Han is awesome now. I had no idea it will work in a droid team, it really shouldn't, yet it does.
  • RagnarokDK
    14 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @MalEliza

Swapped ST Han with Phasma *6 and met #2 with a team of
    All 7*: QGJ (Lead), Luminara, Yoda, Old Ben, Ahsoka.

They actually killed Poggle before I even had my turn, so I thought I would give you bad news, but I ended up killing the whole team with 4 of my toons alive with 3 full HP and one at ½ HP (IG-86). This is despite the fact that Phasma got silenced during his first turn, but when Advantage kicked in, I took out two toons in one round. Yoda managed to pull of Tenacity, but with no effect. Luminara healed when only her and Old Ben were left, but I think healers are wasted in current meta.

Kill order was: QGJ, Yoda, Ahsoka, Luminara, Old Ben.

Edit: I do think ST Han would have been better. I think my odds would have been better. The extra turns I get from ST Han Turn Meter Boost + safety of glass cannons really just make matches a walk in the park.
  • Options
    I've been using Poggle (L), 86, GS, Han and RG since before the update and it worked alright then. I kept top 50 in a mid-December leader board, but was stuggling a bit at the end with dropping to the 80's or so. Last night I don't know that I dropped many, if any spots and I've reached my lowest rank so far with one battle left today. Everyone but RG is all the way, or almost maxed with RG being at 4 stars.
  • Options
    garublador wrote: »
    I've been using Poggle (L), 86, GS, Han and RG since before the update and it worked alright then. I kept top 50 in a mid-December leader board, but was stuggling a bit at the end with dropping to the 80's or so. Last night I don't know that I dropped many, if any spots and I've reached my lowest rank so far with one battle left today. Everyone but RG is all the way, or almost maxed with RG being at 4 stars.

If I understand you correctly, you are struggling with your current team?

I would try to swap RG with a heavy hitter that preferably has synergy with Poggle. The extra tank seems redundant if you have ST Han maxed anyway.
  • Options
    @MalEliza

Swapped ST Han with Phasma *6 and met #2 with a team of
    All 7*: QGJ (Lead), Luminara, Yoda, Old Ben, Ahsoka.

They actually killed Poggle before I even had my turn, so I thought I would give you bad news, but I ended up killing the whole team with 4 of my toons alive with 3 full HP and one at ½ HP (IG-86). This is despite the fact that Phasma got silenced during his first turn, but when Advantage kicked in, I took out two toons in one round. Yoda managed to pull of Tenacity, but with no effect. Luminara healed when only her and Old Ben were left, but I think healers are wasted in current meta.

Kill order was: QGJ, Yoda, Ahsoka, Luminara, Old Ben.

Edit: I do think ST Han would have been better. I think my odds would have been better. The extra turns I get from ST Han Turn Meter Boost + safety of glass cannons really just make matches a walk in the park.
    Thanks for testing! I had Poggle as leader in mind as he buffs all three major damage dealers. It might be however, that Phasma lead works too (assists with three heavy hitters sounds nice, too). It seems like they did alright though, even after Poggle dying.
    Who's better in the end might be something to try out in GW, where you can fight the same teams with different lineups and retreat before finishing the opponent off.
  • Tromedlov13
    1559 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My 88 still wouldn't make it til his turn on defense without RG, so I'm using RG instead of Han for hat team. But I think there are plenty of lineups where Han is the better call
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • UNivek
    70 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've ran a few different comp since update. With RG and all 5 droids. I do think at the moment, perhaps because my GG is only 4* (rofl), having RG is much better. But can't beat the feeling of having all droids!

All my droids besides GG are 7* and fully geared. GG is 4* gear 8. RG is also only 5* gear 8 so a so-what fair comparison to GG at similar * level.

I included a short YouTube playlist with a few of the top 10 arena matches here for those that are interested.

• Options
    garublador wrote: »

If I understand you correctly, you are struggling with your current team?

I would try to swap RG with a heavy hitter that preferably has synergy with Poggle. The extra tank seems redundant if you have ST Han maxed anyway.
    Just the opposite. I'm doing better now with the team than I was before. Do you attack RG and let Han potentially manipulate the TM each turn he takes (and then have to attack him, anyway) or do you take out Han and let RG keep stunning you? I always get one or the other. It's more effective than I thought it would be.

• Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    @UNivek OMG! Everybody look at IG-100 fortitude in Univek's video. Lmao! Wow...he might actually become usable.
  • Options
    UNivek wrote: »
    I've ran a few different comp since update. With RG and all 5 droids. I do think at the moment, perhaps because my GG is only 4* (rofl), having RG is much better. But can't beat the feeling of having all droids!

All my droids besides GG are 7* and fully geared. GG is 4* gear 8. RG is also only 5* gear 8 so a so-what fair comparison to GG at similar * level.

I included a short YouTube playlist with a few of the top 10 arena matches here for those that are interested.

Cool video, fun to see GG in action! And IG-100 seems very interesting! I wonder how you would do with a Poggle lead instead of HK?
  • Options
    Thanks for testing! I had Poggle as leader in mind as he buffs all three major damage dealers. It might be however, that Phasma lead works too (assists with three heavy hitters sounds nice, too). It seems like they did alright though, even after Poggle dying.
    Who's better in the end might be something to try out in GW, where you can fight the same teams with different lineups and retreat before finishing the opponent off.

No problem mate. If you try something different and get some interesting results, please share it here!
  • MalEliza
    132 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you try something different and get some interesting results, please share it here!
    I just beat the #1 that I could barely scratch before, using Poggle (l), 88, 86, Phasma and Han (6*). That gear IX Fives is a tough nut to crack, though. In the end it was him (with full protection) vs. four (Poggle (full), Phasma (green) and the IGs (little protection left)) and it was still close.
    So Han and Phasma together might be another option. Unfortunately I don't have GS to compare, if he or phasma does better. So Poggle, 88 and 86 with two out of Han, Phasma and GS all seem to be valid options and could be swapped depending on the opponent. If you need to kill many dps toons quickly gs might be better while phasma with her tm and slow down aoe might be the choice if you expect a longer fight.
    Seems like I will fokus on starring up Han and GS :)

Edit: Oh, and I definetly take back what I said about maybe not needing a taunter at all. Against stun teams Han is incredible. What do I care, if he gets stunned ten times after he taunted. He's not there to do damage and those weak attacks (damage wise) by the likes of Daka RG and Dooku (x2) just feed my turn meter.
  • Options
    I've been running a squad of Phasma (leader), OD, IG86, ST Han, and Poggle. I've been crushing everyone with the new update
  • Options
    kalmar99 wrote: »
    I've been running a squad of Phasma (leader), OD, IG86, ST Han, and Poggle. I've been crushing everyone with the new update
    What's your strategy vs. RG? As you have only one damage dealer and no heavy AOE? Do you simply grind him down after he taunts?
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    I'm on a newer server, and I have only barely toyed with my droid team, having just got Poe to gear 7 today (4 stars, lol), finally getting him into the round 8 speed bracket. So no real insight. Just a single anecdote.

So I have crappy Poe, and the rest of my team 6S or so, most of them close to fully geared for my level of 67, except for IG 88 lagging at gear 7.

Well, pre patch I would be handed my **** against a regular droid team consisting of Poe/Poggle/HK/86/88. But I decided to try it with the new protection. His droids were slightly better than mine, too. I figure if my Poe gets the drop I might have a chance.

First go: His Poe goes off first, and all 5 of my toons get exposed. I only manage to take down his 88 before I'm wiped in 40 seconds.

Second go, His Poe goes first, AGAIN. Only 1 expose this time, but the AI focuses my Poe and he's down before he can even taunt!

.... And won this time. With no poe, poggle, and barely any "tank" from the dead-before-first-turn Poe. Yes, this was a glorious battle for #30. But it has me wondering viability of an all DPS droid team. Of course this doesn't matter to all you level 76'ers.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    My fifth is GS, sorry. HK lead, 88, 86, GS Poe
  • Options
    Edit: Oh, and I definetly take back what I said about maybe not needing a taunter at all. Against stun teams Han is incredible. What do I care, if he gets stunned ten times after he taunted. He's not there to do damage and those weak attacks (damage wise) by the likes of Daka RG and Dooku (x2) just feed my turn meter.

ST Han makes the world of a difference. I've been picking out teams today that should be really hard according to forums and I am not meeting resistance at all. CT-5 is a pain to take out, but if you leave him for last, he doesn't really pose a threat.

I even tried a team of Dooku (Lead), FOTP, Rey, Poe, Old Daka and it was literally no problem, even with a OD revive of Rey and Poe.
    LastJedi wrote: »
    My fifth is GS, sorry. HK lead, 88, 86, GS Poe

Congratulations on making it that far at level 67 (FYI I am myself only 73), and nice that you kept at that battle until you beat him!

If you can get to that position in arena I will highly recommend you to farm ST Han. The forums are blowing up about him and from my own experience he is indeed meta now.

On a different note, holy ****, IG-88 AoE is insane now with Poggle boost, I often remove huge chunks of (if not all) protection of enemy toons in the first round with that skill.
  • RagnarokDK
    14 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kalmar99 wrote: »

Really interesting setup! I always wanted to have a OD. Have you tried to swap Poggle for lead and see if it was stronger/weaker? I am really keen to know which is better at leading. That assist attack from a glass cannon seems golden!