Am I doing it wrong?

I've been playing this game for a few months now, and I've progressed fairly well.

Or so I thought...

I've probably spent about $100 total on the game now, which I think is a generous amount, and I'm getting to the point where challenges are too difficult, grinding seems to have come to a full stop, and I just keep seeing events crop up that I know I won't be able to participate in for at least a couple more months.

Let me clarify, I like the game. I like Star Wars. I like collecting characters. I even like repetitive game play. But I must be way behind the curve because I'm just not able to get much done.

Or is that normal?

Am I supposed to spend $100 a month on this game? Is that how everyone else is doing it? It's taken me a while of dedicated, every day play, to get to where I am so far. And just when I got close to the end game, they increased the cap, buffed all the challenges, and handicapped my favorite characters.

Ok, that last gripe is on me. I know full well in a game like this that you can't just use your favorites. You have to use what's best. If that means I gotta put a stupid Geo in my squad then that's what I should do to win. But I've got a decent roster.

So anyway, back to my initial question... Am I doing it wrong? Am I supposed to spend more money? Lots more money? Am I supposed to be advancing this slowly? Is there a huge portion of players that have just made it to endgame already, with me racing to catch up?

Any advice is welcome.
Even the kind that's mean.