Stop the Nerf-mob Train!

Prev13
ShaolinPunk
3486 posts Moderator
Wanted to share some concepts that don't seem to be common knowledge, at least not common enough on far too many threads.

1. There will always be a top grossing DPS hero, a preferred Tank, a superior Support hero.
2. If the devs nerf one, they've created another simply because a new hero will take the spot.\
3. Complaining about a hero because it's "overpowered" because you couldn't beat it with your current best Arena team does not mean it's overpowered and needs nerfing: with over 80 heroes, there are plenty of options for countering and exploiting weakness in popular team set ups.

I hope people can keep character feedback in the appropriate forums and let the devs get on to better things besides filtering through all this noise about nerving the newest meta. The game is very balanced. If you don't think so, go play another in this genre and see how fast you come running back.
**Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107

Replies

• Sirkuce
    22 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Better tell us which chars should be improved and why

GS and Ray are good as they are, some chars need to get rid of all the health / protection
    Lea,sorry but the only whale only char which is left if someone is paying a hell of money for her, she is even underpowered ... I don't have here, enough other good toons so no issue, I can only use 5
    RG and Han are perfect as they are and who is Dooku ... better buff Chewee (when he taunts every hit means offense up and 30% turn meter for him), Anakin (more dps again), Mace (e.g. debuffs dark side chars), Kit (e.g. ignores taunt and 50% dps against tanks), Bane (foresight, speed,...)
    Before I forget I am really sad about FOTP he was my favorite toon :(

And last but not least nerf Ugnaught this one is really much to op
  • Options
    Wanted to share some concepts that don't seem to be common knowledge, at least not common enough on far too many threads.

1. There will always be a top grossing DPS hero, a preferred Tank, a superior Support hero.
    2. If the devs nerf one, they've created another simply because a new hero will take the spot.\
    3. Complaining about a hero because it's "overpowered" because you couldn't beat it with your current best Arena team does not mean it's overpowered and needs nerfing: with over 80 heroes, there are plenty of options for countering and exploiting weakness in popular team set ups.

I hope people can keep character feedback in the appropriate forums and let the devs get on to better things besides filtering through all this noise about nerving the newest meta. The game is very balanced. If you don't think so, go play another in this genre and see how fast you come running back.

+1000
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Bobdog87 wrote: »

+1000

+ another 1000
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    Options
    I would write +1 (or +1001) but that would be bumping the thread and that is really kind of frowned upon.

So I won't. :)
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Wait honest question, is "+1" or similar against the rules?
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    I would write +1 (or +1001) but that would be bumping the thread and that is really kind of frowned upon.

So I won't. :)

So, were you basically doing that which you are saying is against the rules, or are you passive aggressively pointing out it's against the rules?

I'm thinking the former but want to give the benefit of the doubt.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    It's only bumping the thread if the thread has dropped off the first page. Until that happens, a "+1" is just agreeing!

What was the question? Yeah, stop the nerf train. It's pointless. I think EA loves it. It makes them think we give a darn, because it looks like so many people care so deeply about minor nuances and balance.

I'm sorry, but 99% of us don't give a crap. More content, less timesinks, please.
  • Options
    Dooku needs a nerf. And I say that having little trouble beating him in the Arena and GW. After that, sure, nerfbat can get put away. For now: #nerfthedookie
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

-complains about Rey and her power with forssight
    -has no aoe on squad
    -cries for nerf
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    People want to be the best, and they want it RIGHT NOW, and problematic characters prevent them from that. Instead of adapting their strategy to counter those characters they want to pull down those characters.

Odds are they went for Qui-Gon Jin from the Cantina first, which is a good idea because he's a solid character, but because they didn't go for Old Daka they can't stun around difficult folks. They had a strategy in mind to rapidly progress, but now they hit the hard counter to that strategy and don't want to admit they went too far too fast.

Things are always better when you're patient. I'm hovering around 100 in the Arena most nights, that's good enough for two Arena shipments a day. I can get through Galactic War no problem (Getting closer to 80, where I hear it gets real, real hard, so we'll see how long that lasts) and have a nice, deep bench because instead of focusing on just five guys and brute-forcing them into every fight, I have a lot of utility people to go along with it.

Be patient. Walk before you try to run.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    People want to be the best, and they want it RIGHT NOW, and problematic characters prevent them from that. Instead of adapting their strategy to counter those characters they want to pull down those characters.

Odds are they went for Qui-Gon Jin from the Cantina first, which is a good idea because he's a solid character, but because they didn't go for Old Daka they can't stun around difficult folks. They had a strategy in mind to rapidly progress, but now they hit the hard counter to that strategy and don't want to admit they went too far too fast.

Things are always better when you're patient. I'm hovering around 100 in the Arena most nights, that's good enough for two Arena shipments a day. I can get through Galactic War no problem (Getting closer to 80, where I hear it gets real, real hard, so we'll see how long that lasts) and have a nice, deep bench because instead of focusing on just five guys and brute-forcing them into every fight, I have a lot of utility people to go along with it.

Be patient. Walk before you try to run.

Yep. Farming qgj, smart. Farming Poe and not Daka, not smart. Learn from my mistakes!
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    I believe in balancing, and always will. To accept obvious problems is stupid.
  • Options
    nerfed rey
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

1. Wrong. What you fail to understand is that there should be several "top grossing dps", "preferred Tank", or "Support hero", each based on a specific situation/team composition. Currently, we somehow have extremely powerful heroes who require no synergy, setup or strategy to work well (See Rey, QGJ, RG, Dooku)

2. Wrong. Nerfing a character does not necessarily mean another will take its place, and it doesn't mean ONLY one will take its place. The goal is to extend the viable roster, and some heros completely smother the potential of others. When the most versatile characters are also the strongest, you create a static meta. Why would I pick an Attacker who synergies well with my team, when there's one who can do the job better, and fit anywhere?
    Cookie cutters are a plague, and they should pay the price of their versatility.
    By nerfing cookie cutters, you force people into building synergy-oriented teams, therefore creating diversity.

3. Wrong again. You're acting like the 80 characters are viable, which is not the case. Counters may exist, but it doesn't mean that they can be used.
    Example: Plo Koon leader ability counters Leia's stealth. Great. Now you gain the ability to counter Leia! But by doing so, you basically have no leader againsy anyone else, and you have to use a mediocre hero just to counter 1/5th of the enemy team.

Your arguments are very binary.

What you're saying is that there should not be nerfs.
    What you mean is that you don't want the characters you use getting nerfed.
    What you should be saying is that this game needs some clever balance changes: Targeted nerfs to reduce the power of all-arounders, buffs to underused characters to give them an opportunity, and a generally more powerful synergy element.

You can't possibly claim a game is balanced when 1/4th of the roster is viable. This is an insult to game design.

This game has several flaws: The lack of balance and the awful PvP experience that forces us to use the most powerful heroes are among them.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    @Sikho No offense man but you seem like you're criticising your own perspective as binary.
    You're arguing over 'should's instead of reality. Yeah it would be nice to see more diversity, but after every nerf, there is a new meta: it's just how it works. You will always feel like you're fighting cookie-cutter teams. I didn't say there shouldn't be nerfs, but that people need to calm it down after every nerf and let it ride for a bit before crying that they 'still can't place as high' in arena as they think they should.

The answer to a new account (with fewer hero choices) challenged with the puzzling of playing well is not solved by the game developers tailoring the entire game to a single player's account options.

If you're still so angry with the 'lack of balance here' I still suggest you try taking a break and go play another game. Let me know when you've found one that does what it "should" in your eyes.
  • Options
    Nerf Noobs will always be there with their hands out asking for free wins when they have never paid their dues in the grind pits.
  • Options
    No more nerfs! See people complaining about dooku and Rey all the time. Sure they can be challenging as hell, but I still beat them with a little creativity. The majority of my roster is g7 or lower, yet I can still best a g8 lvl 70+ dooku or Rey in both gw and arena. Part of it is luck and the other larger part is very much strategic. You can beat strong toons like them if you take the time to find the strategy that works best for you. I don't have Rey by the way and barely use dooku. Usually I'm using a jedi team of lumi, old ben, ahsoka, qgj, and yoda. Sometimes may use Leia or jc instead of ahsoka.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Based on Data from SWGOH we need viable FTP alternatives to Rey, QG, and RG. This means another high end DPS or beefier bruisers like pre nerf fives, a dispelled with good DPS (fix Assaj), and another auto taunt (Mace?)

Nerfing is not the answer but providing alternatives to common toons with different skill sets or buffing underused skill sets should be done.

Usage of Rey, RG, and QG is around 50%.

The leadership spot is fine as we have fairly good diversity with Ben, QG, Dooku, and Phas and others all getting a lot of play.

https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/1/
  • dtmike1
    242 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's actually why I stop reading most of the forums. Someone crying over some other toon that kicked their butt.

The only balance issue I have is a chick with a stick hits harder than a chick with a light saber... What's wrong with that picture? ;)

I mean if it was Rey with a light saber I would take my beating and go on lol...
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Wow thanks for the link Greg, I had no idea anything like that existed. I see what you're saying, but as a business model, it seems like they'll keep those options in the pay-to-play bracket. If you can get the good stuff for free, you're doing something wrong. I realize that is frustrating to those without money, but i mean come on, if a person really enjoys a game, they can at least drop $5 to support it. :)

• ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    dtmike1 wrote: »
    It's actually why I stop reading most of the forums. Someone crying over some other toon that kicked their butt.

The only balance issue I have is a chick with a stick hits harder than a chick with a light saber... What's wrong with that picture? ;)

I mean if it was Rey with a light saber I would take my beating and go on lol...

We have yet to see Lightsaber-weilding Luke. I'm speculating, but he might be the new glass-cannon when he comes out.
  • slampdx
    478 posts Member
    Options
    I agree. Nerf rey, dooku, and fives them be done with it
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the link Greg, I had no idea anything like that existed. I see what you're saying, but as a business model, it seems like they'll keep those options in the pay-to-play bracket. If you can get the good stuff for free, you're doing something wrong. I realize that is frustrating to those without money, but i mean come on, if a person really enjoys a game, they can at least drop $5 to support it. :)

I think cantina shipments, nodes or Hard Nodes is a good compromise on the For these alternatives as they have a pay to accelerate components.

If you want diversity they need to be accessible at less than $200 a pop.

I keep pasting that link everywhere there is a nerf thread as its finally real data that we have access to. Not completely independent as it skews toward forum users but at least it's something
  • B00MSTICK
    107 posts Member
    Options

Agree.

I don't even bother opening most of the topics on the forums now because of all the whining.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Based on Data from SWGOH we need viable FTP alternatives to Rey, QG, and RG.

Wait, what? Those guys ARE free to play...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Based on Data from SWGOH we need viable FTP alternatives to Rey, QG, and RG.

Wait, what? Those guys ARE free to play...

Right now there is very little diversity in the top of shards. Those 3 are on half of teams. In order to have different toons represented you need to provide FTP alternatives to them otherwise the Meta becomes stale.

If you look at leia the most played P2p toon she is only on a small percentage of teams.
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm bored of nerfs Dooku got nerfed enough QGJ? nerf? lol what? RG hmm I don't know Just because you don't have them, Droid Teams are looking stronger then ever I see a lot of different teams in my Server I'm level 79
  • DTK
    21 posts Member
    Options
    Funny thing is I made a thread about this and the devs deleted it cause it was to straight forward on how they keep nerfing heros to cater to lower skill lvl players I've said this before on fives omega nerf EVERY HERO HAS A COUNTER IF YOU DONT HAVE THAT HERO, DOESNT MEAN YOU GET TO WHINE TO HAVE THAT HERO RUINED IR CHANGED
  • Kalcor
    92 posts Member
    Options
    Game is balanced.. Ugnaught and CUP vs Rey and dooku. Balanced. I totally agree brother man
  • Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    It's only bumping the thread if the thread has dropped off the first page. Until that happens, a "+1" is just agreeing!

What was the question? Yeah, stop the nerf train. It's pointless. I think EA loves it. It makes them think we give a darn, because it looks like so many people care so deeply about minor nuances and balance.

I'm sorry, but 99% of us don't give a crap. More content, less timesinks, please.

50% of the reason I quit is game ask for too much time at it's own pace. Another 40% was how the destroyed Tie Pilot. That was dumb, mean, I needed. Despicable? I don't know the word, but they mess their little code probably thinking how smart they are and cause immense disappointment of epic proportions.