* Guide to Starting Your Own Guild *

Amish_Ace
516 posts Member
edited April 2016
Guide to Starting a Guild

I have decided to share what I have learned starting my own guild, Knights of the Mobile Republic [KotMR], in case some of you were on the fence about starting one and to help the community establish a large guild player base. Hopefully @EA_Jesse will see this and consider making it an "announcement" of sorts so that it doesn't get lost in the forum shuffle. So, here we go...

Forum Post Appearance

A professional appearance on the forums goes a long way to recruiting members. I can't tell you how many people appreciated the more professional look and organization of the of original recruitment post (located here if you would like to see it). To achieve this, I recommend the use of BBCode. With BBCode, you can Bold, Underline, and even change the color of the text in your original post. For example:

About Knights of the Mobile Republic [KotMR]

in BBCode is (i've added spaces to the first half so you can see the code):

[ color=#FFFF78 ][ b ]About Knights of the Mobile Republic [KotMR] [/b][/color]

Experiment around with it, have some fun. Take your time to create an awesome original post that will draw people to apply to your guild. Here are some links to some BBCode sites that might prove useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
http://www.stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer

Additionally, take the time to explain what your guild is about and the type of players you are looking for. Maybe even include a paragraph about yourself and your officers. You can even establish some rules of the guild up front so players can know what to expect.

Organization of Applicants/Roster

First, let me start by saying that if you want to recruit people from the forums it can become quite a bit of work. Be prepared for your e-mail to blow up, haha. To help make things easier for you, I have posted a link to the spreadsheet I created which will help you organize applicants as you accept them into your guild. It helps for those applying to see how many spots are left and to see the type of candidates that are applying. The link is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzuoLOlJEYapIdAodcl_sAHEFupz3zYcX-_4kg6mrdg/edit?usp=sharing

To make a copy of this, simply go to File -> Make a Copy to save it as your own. Make sure before you share the roster link that permissions are set so that you or your officers are the only ones that can make changes to it. The cool thing about this type of document is that it saves automatically and any updates made are live (no need to post another link).

Requesting Application Information

It helps to get some information from those applying to make your decision on who to accept into the guild. Hopefully you will have already picked out some officers to help look over all the applications, but if not, you can decide that later. Make sure you state up front what the requirements are for those applying. Below is the requested set of information I requested from applicants:
  1. In-game player name:
  2. Player Level:
  3. Ally Code:
  4. Galactic War Wins:
  5. Number of 7* Characters:
  6. Number of Gear 8 Characters:
  7. Arena Wins:
  8. Typical Arena finish rank at payout:
  9. Days per week you are active:
  10. Timezone

These items helped me establish what type of player is applying. It helps to say up front if you require any of these to be a certain minimum. This list also goes hand-in-hand with the roster spreadsheet I provided above, making data easy to enter once you accept an applicant. Request that this information be provided in the comments section of the forum post. You may get some private messages with this information, but that's OK.

Outside App Communication

I decided to use Discord for as an outside app communication. Another one that I have hear about is something called Line app. It is up to you if you choose to use one of these. I find it to be more organized, as with Discord I can create multiple lobbies, say for "announcements" or "raid strategies". I can even assign different roles to those members who accept the discord invite and create permissions for certain channels (who can and can't post).

Closing Remarks

If anyone can think of anything else to add to this guide, please let me know. I will update it as necessary once the official raid update is released or new information comes to light. Hopefully this helps some of you, and May the Force be with You All!

Kind Regards,
@Amish_Ace
Darth Saltious - Hoth Ski Patrol

Replies

• Lambi
    473 posts Member
    Options
    Or you could take the top guys from 2-4 shards and rampage through content.