So defense in Arena may be a thing now

With the advent of Protection and certain characters becoming much heftier at higher levels, I am starting to see teams that are ridiculously difficult, if not impossible to beat, sitting pretty and powerful at the top of the heap. Case in point, our resident cetacean at level 79 with a maxed-out Dooku(L), Fives, IG-100 Magnaguard, Leia and Obi-Wan.

I simply cannot figure my way around this team. Leia seems perpetually stealthed, Magnaguard, Obi-Wan and Fives are a collective wall of hate, and Dooku is just there to run interference and make sure that some of my hits are going to sweep air. In the meantime Leia is gunning my characters down, and Fives' double-strikes REALLY hurt. With Obi-Wan tossing in ability block and offense down I have to deal with a couple of turns where my characters aren't able to do much.

Seriously. He has not budged from the top spot in 3 days. Kudos to him for putting up an insurmountable challenge, as well as proving the naysayers wrong.

Those who think that RG is the Arena king, or that any team can beat any other team in Arena, watch out - you'll be eating your words soon, until we all get past the pre-craft wall and even out at Level 80.

Replies

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Leia is like a bad rash that you have for a few weeks, you get past it and then it returns. She always seems to have some broken/OP aspect to her, the most recent now being this permanent stealth thing. I hope it gets fixed soon.
    Aside from that, I am cautiously optimistic about defensive teams making a return since I've always preferred them. But I have a suspicion that still more "tweaking" to protection is on the horizon.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    With the advent of Protection and certain characters becoming much heftier at higher levels, I am starting to see teams that are ridiculously difficult, if not impossible to beat, sitting pretty and powerful at the top of the heap. Case in point, our resident cetacean at level 79 with a maxed-out Dooku(L), Fives, IG-100 Magnaguard, Leia and Obi-Wan.

I simply cannot figure my way around this team. Leia seems perpetually stealthed, Magnaguard, Obi-Wan and Fives are a collective wall of hate, and Dooku is just there to run interference and make sure that some of my hits are going to sweep air. In the meantime Leia is gunning my characters down, and Fives' double-strikes REALLY hurt. With Obi-Wan tossing in ability block and offense down I have to deal with a couple of turns where my characters aren't able to do much.

Seriously. He has not budged from the top spot in 3 days. Kudos to him for putting up an insurmountable challenge, as well as proving the naysayers wrong.

Those who think that RG is the Arena king, or that any team can beat any other team in Arena, watch out - you'll be eating your words soon, until we all get past the pre-craft wall and even out at Level 80.

The only way to beat that would be to land an ability block on Leia early on so she doesn't do a ton of damage and even then those counter-attackers are going to be real annoying with Old Ben giving you offense down. Can you imagine once they fix Old Ben's leader ability they could ditch Dooku if they wanted and added Daka or RG.
  • Options

The only way to beat that would be to land an ability block on Leia early on so she doesn't do a ton of damage and even then those counter-attackers are going to be real annoying with Old Ben giving you offense down. Can you imagine once they fix Old Ben's leader ability they could ditch Dooku if they wanted and added Daka or RG.

Not sure how I'm going to land that - Leia one of the fastest characters in the game, and getting that to happen will involve a QGJ-led Yoda and Lumi both getting past Dooku's dodge and landing those abilities. Since I don't have Yoda yet (sorry, focused on other things) No. 2 is the best I can hope for in the meantime.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not sure how I'm going to land that - Leia one of the fastest characters in the game, and getting that to happen will involve a QGJ-led Yoda and Lumi both getting past Dooku's dodge and landing those abilities. Since I don't have Yoda yet (sorry, focused on other things) No. 2 is the best I can hope for in the meantime.

Lumi isn't fast enough to go before leia,even with QGJ lead. There's a severe lack of speedy ability blockers with potency gear to inflict ability block in time. lumi has 0 potency from gear.

Permanent stealth is ridiculous.

I'm not sure about this, but there seems to be a bug with leia's hair trigger.Throughout the entire match, I was being three shotted. Is it just me or is everyone experiencing the same thing?

Post edited by Zekex on
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Best option I can give you is gotta stun her, kill her, kill dooku, hit auto and keep changing auto target. Leave old Ben for last. Haven't face dooku/Leia with the 3 tanks, but did just face dooku, Leia, RG, Qgj, GS.
    Took out Leia and Dooku in 1:45 around RG taunt.

So that will be the key getting rid of Leia and Dooku as fast as possible.

BTW Asajj can remove stealth.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    leia is easier with permastealth. she wastes extra turns stealthing without doing any triple taps. if you still have trouble, bring an aoe stunner. problem solved.
    mighty chlorians
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Best option I can give you is gotta stun her, kill her, kill dooku, hit auto and keep changing auto target. Leave old Ben for last. Haven't face dooku/Leia with the 3 tanks, but did just face dooku, Leia, RG, Qgj, GS.

Asajj has 40% potency while leia has 51% tenacity. Not too sure how the stats work out, but it doesn't seem very reliable to me. Perhaps Asajj could be buffed with more potency on her gear.
    Can't stun her while she's stealthed, unless you are counting on random lucky stuns.
    reizse wrote: »
    leia is easier with permastealth. she wastes extra turns stealthing without doing any triple taps. if you still have trouble, bring an aoe stunner. problem solved.

What aoe stunners do we have?

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    daka and dooku. you can say rng, but so is leia's double or triple tap.
    mighty chlorians
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    on top of that, plo koon as a leader has a chance to remove stealth on every hero's turn. i wouldn't use him as a leader unless you're desperate...lol
    mighty chlorians
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Zekex wrote: »

Asajj has 40% potency while leia has 51% tenacity. Not too sure how the stats work out, but it doesn't seem very reliable to me. Perhaps Asajj could be buffed with more potency on her gear.
    Can't stun her while she's stealthed, unless you are counting on random lucky stuns.

I have removed her stealth whenever needed if I missed the stun before she stealthed.

Stun her before she moves and stealths.
  • Options
    I don't know how he acts on defense, but on offense my Nute stays stealthed unless debuffed then next turn stealthed again. I don't really fall many places in arena. As of late it's been I start at 150 and fall to 195. I had been falling down to 350-400. I wonder if the stealth feature is bugged for all characters now.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have removed her stealth whenever needed if I missed the stun before she stealthed.

leia has 164 speed

luminara has 118+25=143 speed.Dooku has 161 speed.Daka has 136+28=164 speed (only with asajj as leader)The only possibility to stun her before she moves is daka with asajj lead.

Chance of secondary stun=40%. Chance of selecting the right secondary target=1/4=25%. Chance of overriding tenacity/dodge check= X

Chance of stunning with daka on a stealthed leia=0.4*0.25*X=0.1X pretty poor odds, seeing that the probability is lower than 10%.

I think its an overstatement to say that asajj will remove the stealth whenever needed. if it does it 100% of the time, then there is a bug with the tenacity/potency interaction between the two characters.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

leia has 164 speed

luminara has 118+25=143 speed
    dooku has 161 speed
    daka has 136+28=164 speed (only with asajj as leader)

The only possibility is daka with asajj lead.

I think its an overstatement to say that asajj will remove the stealth whenever needed. if it does it 100% of the time, then there is a bug with the tenacity/potency interaction between the two characters.

Never meant it would be 100% of time. I don't face Leia that much and when I do and I miss the stun it has been successful at removing the stealth. I have probably only had to to try 2 times in the last month or so.

I run Asajj lead with Daka

Every thing I have seen has Leia current max speed at 158. I don't have a max Leia but the few times I have faced her my daka goes first.

OP asked for suggestions on ways to attack/combat this team. That is what I am doing providing a suggestion that could work. As I originally stated I have not faced this team comp, my leader board is currently not creative enough.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    in a realstic situation, leia will have had to take 3 turns before she can do any real harm.
    1- stealth
    2- even on a triple tap, she won't trigger rg's auto taunt
    3- she triple taps again, but on rg
    4- she finally kills someone on your team.

in those 3 turns, I can have 3 full rounds to kill off 2 other heroes, increasing daka' secondary stun chance (55%) to 2 targets (50%). it's happened so often that I have yet to lose to any team with furnaced lvl 76-78 leias in it in the top 3.
    mighty chlorians
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options
    You can use Yoda with QGJ and remove her turn meter. That is the only way I can see no letting her stealth. But I have my own plan in works that will trump her. TEEBO! Imagine a Teebo lead team full of characters you leave for last. With allstars enders like Old Ben, Savage Opress, 5's, and I haven't figured who my 5th will be..Maybe Daka or Barriss or maybe even QGJ or Rey. It would suck if Leia killed Old Ben because he is the only one attackable...
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @MoBlaq Yoda to reduce TM is another good idea. I use Asajj lead with daka. Daka goes before Leia, before most except Yoda with QGJ lead or Acolyte with Asajj lead.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, without Yoda or Daka my options are limited. Also, gotta consider that with Dooku as lead the chances of the hits landing are even slimmer. Guess it's just a really excellent, well-built defensive team against which my current best offensive teams have no strategy.
  • 6xy
    6 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I run a team with 7* leia and 7* rey with a 6* RG. (QGJ and dooku are the other two) When playing offensive i purposely force the opponent RG into taunting as fast as possible (or use my RG to stun their tank han etc) and can usually take out the first enemy character in 2-3 attacks if rey multi-hits before stealthing leia.
    On my server i try to end up top 3 by payout. I can often win battles without losing any character or just one (usually rey or QGJ)
    Once payout happens, this team composition usually gets bumped down to around 17th so in defence its not fantastic.
    Triple tap leia happens around 33% of the time in my experience. She often shoots just once to my irritation.
    @reizse is correct. Shes not the most dangerous in arena at all due to the way the AI plays her

Edit: just took 1st place on my server. Took out GS in 3 attacks of round one (2 attacks for his shield without triggering opponent RG and a rey multi attack to kill him dead even though the RG taunt kicks in) . Removed taunt from opponent RG using QGJ then stealthed leia. Oppenent IG86 next then the AI didnt have enough firepower to worry me.

I wont be able to hold first spot though. It took me 4 battles to get from 16 to 1st when i started today so only have 1 battle left and 9 hours to go
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Leia is like a bad rash that you have for a few weeks, you get past it and then it returns. She always seems to have some broken/OP aspect to her, the most recent now being this permanent stealth thing. I hope it gets fixed soon.
    Aside from that, I am cautiously optimistic about defensive teams making a return since I've always preferred them. But I have a suspicion that still more "tweaking" to protection is on the horizon.

So with the addition of the new characters and the fix to Old Ben's leader ability, I am now seeing an incredible team sitting on top of our shard like an 800-pound gorilla:

Old Ben (L)
    Sun Fac
    Fives
    Leia
    IG-100

Nope, nobody's taking the no. 1 spot from him for a while.
  • bbmiLo
    378 posts Member
    Options
    Yoda tenacity up to neutralize dooku stun and Old ben debuff. let RG do the stun, and focus fire on whoever is stunned. its easy to beat. any team withou gear9 RG is not hard to beat.