Small/medium-sized guilds unwanted?

I am playing together with a group of friends, we started when the game went live mostly. As there is no way to actually play WITH your friends except of borrowing their characters for a part of the game modes (and they don't even get currency for it), we were looking forward to the guilds update to finally have some common activity.

Now, as the update is out, we have to see that a small guild is seemingly not viable, mainly for two reasons:

1) Raid "Entry Fee" is an absolute. For 50 active Players, a tier 5 Raid will take roughly 1.5 days worth of contribution. For a group of ten, you will wait for over a week to start a raid.

2) Guild Activities don't scale. The top tiers are hard to reach for a full guild even, and they should be. For a guild not reaching the member limit, you are capped at a couple of stars, no matter how hard you try.

Now, there is one point that is better for small guilds: everyone will land in the higher reward tiers. Then again, as Raid fees are an absolute (and so presumably is the bosses health), raids are taking longer to unlock and longer to complete, so at best you will only lose minimally.

As of now, the guild system rewards you for gathering active players until you reach the limit, instead of emphasising on the bond that a guild usually presents. I can understand if bigger guilds shall be able to compete better, but it looks like mass instead of class for endgame players. It wouldn't break the game to change guild activities and Raid cost to combine a basic amount plus an amount per player in the clan, so very small clans still don't work but you are not left behind by the top of your shard because you prefer to play in an intimate group instead of a **** of other players. As of now, I and my friends think about joining some big guild to be able to compete in the future, even though it will still be more like another leaderboard rather than an actual bonding guild.

Anybody having the same thoughts? To the devs, is it wanted that guilds don't vary in size, but be filled to the max? Is there anything I don't see that make small guilds actually viable, although the obvious drawbacks?

Replies

• Toonny
    109 posts Member
    Options
    Plus one. We should have smaller guild activities.
  • KelEl85
    158 posts Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I too am in a guild with some friends and we would like to keep it relatively small or at least have a specific screening process so it may take a long time to gather members. The current system doesn't allow for that. Requirements for all guild related things should scale with the number in the guild IMO. There could (and probaly should) be some benefit to larger guilds so that we don't end up with just a bunch of elite 5 man teams, but all of the raid rewards should be available to every guild if they put in the time and effort.
  • Options
    Even with fewer raids you may gear up faster than people in 50 person guilds.
  • Options
    Even with fewer raids you may gear up faster than people in 50 person guilds.

Any insight on that?

Apart from everything else, I was informed by my 'officers' that the guys that entered the guild in my absence weren't approved by them in any way and nobody received any notification. This, I think, is a no go in any case, as you cannot even tlk to people on a private line. I am upset.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Its not the raids you open, its the raids you complete.