Darth Vader ever viable in Squad Arena?

Now that Tarkin is available in Squad Arena Store, I got to thinking...

would it be possible to make a competitive Empire team for Squad? With Vader as leader?

With RG becoming an autotaunter and stunner (he got super buffed in a previous update) and the new Magmatrooper character which seems pretty badass (though I haven't used him) it seems like the Empire is getting a boost.

But will Darth Vader ever be viable in Squad Arena? My Vader has 4581 power and is 5*. He's pretty good actually, and I can only imagine what he looks like as a 7*. I'm going to assume that won't happen for a long time, but a 6* Vader is certainly doable.

Do we think he could work leading a team in Arena? Does anybody use him effectively in Arena even though he's not a 7* for them? Do we think speed and DPS might be a problem for an Empire team.. Vader is pretty slow.

Replies

• Options
    I think an empire team is missing one link for it to be the meta.
    Possibly Emperor Palpatine or a healer and then I think it'll be doable, but for now I think it sits along with rebels as mid tier.
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    Not at the current rate... Vader is too low in *.
  • Options
    Put Vader on a team with Boba, Phasma, IG88 and RG. Tell me how it goes.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    Yes he works very well in the right team... I have him maxed out effectively at 5 stars and gear 9 (minus any pre-crafted gear) and he is very strong even at 5 stars.

His leader ability is questionable since your empire squad's damage will be lackluster already and the boost isn't that significant... TM reduction is a low chance and not significant enough to make a difference. Under a Tarkin lead is whrere he truly shines. He lays down dots early to wear away protection and then culling blade to take out priority targets. In a team that can do a lot of negative effects his culling blade does tremendous damage... More than any character in the game can put out in one hit. I've had hits over 25k in high end arena.

I like him a lot and even try to find uses for him outside of an empire team. He is tanky can do solid sustained damage with huge burst and the ability block on his basic is extremely useful as well.

My opinion is he is a great character and I can't wait to hit 6 stars with him ... Somewhere in the distant future perhaps (at 50/85 now). Devoting gear and time to him is worth the effort in my opinion.
  • Options
    i'm at 5/85 shard to 6*, and curious if I should gear him up further. He's at gear 7. this comment was helpful, but I guess he'd never be the best option for a squad leader even on an empire team.

Smapty wrote: »
    Yes he works very well in the right team... I have him maxed out effectively at 5 stars and gear 9 (minus any pre-crafted gear) and he is very strong even at 5 stars.

His leader ability is questionable since your empire squad's damage will be lackluster already and the boost isn't that significant... TM reduction is a low chance and not significant enough to make a difference. Under a Tarkin lead is whrere he truly shines. He lays down dots early to wear away protection and then culling blade to take out priority targets. In a team that can do a lot of negative effects his culling blade does tremendous damage... More than any character in the game can put out in one hit. I've had hits over 25k in high end arena.

I like him a lot and even try to find uses for him outside of an empire team. He is tanky can do solid sustained damage with huge burst and the ability block on his basic is extremely useful as well.

My opinion is he is a great character and I can't wait to hit 6 stars with him ... Somewhere in the distant future perhaps (at 50/85 now). Devoting gear and time to him is worth the effort in my opinion.

• Options
    Ran into an empire team in GW that wAs pretty tough
  • Dashel
    24 posts Member
    Options
    Vador is great as he is, can't wait for his gear 10. He's the first toon I spent my omega. I play in top 10/daily with him in my team, either as leader to buff himself, or not. He's always the last man standing. Just sensitive to stuns but he generally resists effects pretty well.

I must say I have him gear 9 (no precraft needed) and he's close to 28k life with protection.
  • kgwzz
    23 posts Member
    Options
    chuckwing wrote: »
    Put Vader on a team with Boba, Phasma, IG88 and RG. Tell me how it goes.

Tried something like that in GW in the 2nd or 3rd last node, except that I used Sid instead of RG. After the AoEs (buffed by Phasma's Victory March), the opponent only 3 characters left, out of which 2 had low/no health. Vader then killed both successively, one with culling blade to get 100% TM, and one with a regular attack. Was pretty fun but I think this would be easy to disrupt on the arena, just focus down on IG88 or stun/slow down Phasma.