Galactic War Match Making Changed with Update

I opened a bug with support for this but posting here as well.

After the last update Galactic War match making has changed. Previously it was based upon the highest power of your winning team in Arena. Now the match making appears to be based upon your five highest power characters in your inventory.

This has created significantly more difficult Galactic War battles for me and others. Since this change was not in the update notes, I can only assume it was doen unintentionally.

Replies

• Options
    Same here
  • DocsBoy
    120 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't know what criteria they are using but it is insane! Make the wrong upgrade and suddenly GW transforms from nice diversion to an often unbeatable slog through the mud. Why the heck are the punishing you for upgrading your characters.
  • Options
    @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse

Can you provide an update on this issue? Your previous comments have indicated that no changes have been made to GW with the latest release. Per the many players who watch the power levels closely (both on the official forum and on the subreddit), we have seen a change since the Monday update.

If this change to GW will be permanent some players, like myself, will want to adjust their Arena strategy. We would also like an explanation as to why EA/CG thinks the new match making is better. If this was an unintentional, please provide some guidance as to when this will be fixed.

Thank you.
  • Options
    I could still be based off of your highest rank achieved and/or the highest power in a winning battle. With everyone levelling and some faster than other you will start seeing harder teams.

It's always been harder for GW when not at end game cap
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    I went from fighting 12K teams to fighting 18K teams overnight. It just happened to be from Sunday to Monday. I geared one toon from VI to VII and I leveled one toon from 58 to 61. My highest powered team in any battle didn't change because of this. I rank in at about 4600 in Arena because I intentionally use a low power team there and my rank had been static at 4616 for about a week since I hadn't won a battle in about a week. Since I made very small changes that would have a small impact on my total power, it is unlikely that these upgrades resulted in a large and sudden change in my GW matching. I have also made many small upgrades like this in the past with no noticeable impact on my GW matching.

Basically, I'm not an end game player because I like to level evenly. This is an advantage when I go into the new match making in GW because I have a deep bench and I lose all but six or seven characters by the end now. Before Monday I hadn't lost a toon in weeks. I also had only fought a total of four toons with protection before Monday. On Monday, I faced at least one toon with protection in every node.

Please note, I'm not saying I want it changed because it is too hard. EA_JohnSalera has stated in other threads that no change was made to GW. That is untrue as presented by my evidence here and evidence other low power Arena players have presented. So either GW was inadvertently changed changed and EA and CG are not aware of it or it was changed intentionally. I'm looking for clarification on which one. Until John says otherwise, this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

BTW, if you basically run your five highest power toons as your Arena team you would not have noticed any difference. It is only people who run their weakest characters that are impacted.
  • Options
    I went from fighting 12K teams to fighting 18K teams overnight. It just happened to be from Sunday to Monday. I geared one toon from VI to VII and I leveled one toon from 58 to 61. My highest powered team in any battle didn't change because of this. I rank in at about 4600 in Arena because I intentionally use a low power team there and my rank had been static at 4616 for about a week since I hadn't won a battle in about a week. Since I made very small changes that would have a small impact on my total power, it is unlikely that these upgrades resulted in a large and sudden change in my GW matching. I have also made many small upgrades like this in the past with no noticeable impact on my GW matching.

Basically, I'm not an end game player because I like to level evenly. This is an advantage when I go into the new match making in GW because I have a deep bench and I lose all but six or seven characters by the end now. Before Monday I hadn't lost a toon in weeks. I also had only fought a total of four toons with protection before Monday. On Monday, I faced at least one toon with protection in every node.

Please note, I'm not saying I want it changed because it is too hard. EA_JohnSalera has stated in other threads that no change was made to GW. That is untrue as presented by my evidence here and evidence other low power Arena players have presented. So either GW was inadvertently changed changed and EA and CG are not aware of it or it was changed intentionally. I'm looking for clarification on which one. Until John says otherwise, this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

BTW, if you basically run your five highest power toons as your Arena team you would not have noticed any difference. It is only people who run their weakest characters that are impacted.

Why wouldn't you max out a main squad and then work on others??? GW is easier when you do that and you do better in arena. I'm not disputing your issues with GW sudden changes for you. But maybe you need to rethink you game plan
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    @Megadeth3700
    I don't enjoy Arena. I do enjoy leveling and gearing toons so I don't focus on a main set. By running a weak Arena team I was able to gain easy resources every day that allowed me to level my characters at will. I slowly star my characters in an unbalanced fashion. So I have a 7* IG-86,6* GS and MagmaTrooper, and 5* Phasma and Teebo. Most of my toons are 3 and four stars as I work from the bottom up with a couple at 2* (magna guard is tough to get shards for). All of my characters (24 in total) are gear level VI or better (except Vader who I just got yesterday) and level 59 to 65 (except Vader). GW isn't hard for me because I have a lot of depth. It was easier before Monday where I could breeze through in about twenty minutes. Now it takes about twice as long because I have to think harder. Now I will gather shards and gear for my most powerful toons but I won't apply them until I have the others up.

My style of play isn't for most of the players on the forums. It is slow and methodical. It is low powered and results in no bragging rights. It is also very low pressure and provides a very special kind of enjoyment from the little accomplishments. For example, tomorrow at log in I will get 8 shards for Resistance Trooper which puts me at 30 and I'll be starring him up. That took a month of patience. Or my surprise Arena victory today where I won with Poe, JKG, Snowtrooper, IG-100, and Ahsoka. I would receive no enjoyment from the type of play most of the other people seem to enjoy.
  • Options
    Perfectly understandable, it's all about personal preference. Glad your enjoying the game either way.

Cheers!
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse

Could you please provide a response to the questions posted above? I know you are busy so I understand the delay. It also takes resources to investigate this issue if you really believe the code wasn't changed I further understand your reluctance to investigate. If you can not provide an answer at this time, please provide a date when you think you may have a complete answer.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse @CG_NotReallyAJedi

We are still waiting on an answer to the changed match making in GW. I've included NotReallyAJedi on the call out because I'm guessing I'm guessing he/she is the same developer who gave us indications as to how GW matching was working before before the guild release. There are several subreddit discussions that have verified his/her statements. There is also strong data evidence that there was a change that occurred with the guild release. Please let us know if this will be a permanent change or if this is a bug that will be fixed in the future.
  • Alanis
    334 posts Member
    Options
    It's also not based on your server now. I'm on a new server and I dodn't think we have all 70 yet. I'm lvl 67 and I'm top 3 in arena depending on who snipes who. Today on GW the last 3 battles are against lvl 76 and high lvl toons. I did win but it took forever trying different strategies and throwing suicide groups in. Not as much fun as it was before
  • Options
    @CG_JohnSalera @EA_Jesse @CG_NotReallyAJedi

Could you please comment on the changes to match making as noted above? In light of the recent unannounced change to GW with regards to TM carrying over from one match to the next, it appears there are some issues with code control in GW. Could you comment on the TM change as well? In both cases, were the changes intentional? In both cases, will GW be changed back?
  • Vodo
    332 posts Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was based on the highest rating of YOUR team on a win in arena? I always thought it's your opponents team power on which the difficulty of GW is based. That's why I always choose the opponents with the lowest rating I can find XD
  • Options
    Yes, very certain. There are many people who had been tracking their arena power vs top five power vs GW opponent power. Most people run an Arena team similar to their top 5 so it is hard to tell. On the day of the Guild update I went from facing 13K opponaants to 18K opponents. My most powerful win in Arena was about 13K but my top five was about 18K. I had never beat a team over 14K in Arena. Definitely not going to beat an 18K team with JKG and MagnaGuard at 2*. The biggest difference between those power levels is gear VI to gear VII which was a rude awakening. At the time I only had six or seven toons at gear VII so the first few days were rough. Now I have about 20 at VII it's not too difficult. That's thanks in large part to my Ewoks who play together really nice.