Shard Stockpiling

I always hear about people waiting to activate characters that they have the necessary shards for. Now that I'm done with the LS Toon achievements, I decided not to activate Ima Gun Di when I got him.

Some do it to save credits. Others do it for the chance to get more shards if they get the toon in a card drop.

My question is: Has anyone ever had it pay off to wait to unlock the toon and get more shards off a bronzium or chromium drop?

Replies

• Options
    Personally this has never worked for me. I waited for 3 months to get a full character drop of Barriss that never happened. I eventually just used the shards I was collecting to unlock her. I'd still be waiting if I hadn't done that.
  • Options
    Thre's no reason to activate until the toon would be viable. Not just based on chance of pulling a full character, but also for cash flow purposes. It keeps credits freed up for other uses in the meantime.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    My question is: Has anyone ever had it pay off to wait to unlock the toon and get more shards off a bronzium or chromium drop?

I never buy chromiums and I never get good stuff from bronzes. But I have had this pay off when buying bundles on two occasions.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    But doesn't it only cost 100 credits to activate toon? I don't understand where the advantage is in not activating a toon when you have the shards to do so
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    It pays off *potentially*

That being said, you should only ever hold onto the shards until you plan to *USE* the character. So, for example, if you dont plan to use Bariss in you GW lineup until she is minimum 6*, then it makes no sense to unlock her at 4* rating.

Same with PVP champions that can be pulled. Just sit on their shards until they are considered "ready to go"
  • Options
    But doesn't it only cost 100 credits to activate toon? I don't understand where the advantage is in not activating a toon when you have the shards to do so
    It depends on what star level they start at, but I agree that the credit savings are't that great.

You do it so that if you pull the character from a bronzium pack you get more shards. If you pull a 3* character you haven't unlocked that's the equivalent of 50 shards. If you pull one that you have unlocked you get less (I don't remember how many).

I haven't pulled a character I'm actively farming, but I've pulled ones I will farm.

• Options
    garublador wrote: »
    It depends on what star level they start at, but I agree that the credit savings are't that great.

You do it so that if you pull the character from a bronzium pack you get more shards. If you pull a 3* character you haven't unlocked that's the equivalent of 50 shards. If you pull one that you have unlocked you get less (I don't remember how many).

I haven't pulled a character I'm actively farming, but I've pulled ones I will farm.

If you already have a character and you get a full character drop you only get 7 shards. So obviously the shard difference is there, and obviously not spending the money until you need to is nice (who knows if you'll actually end up using it).

My real question is if anyone has actually had a full character drop from a pack while they had already had enough shards stocked up to unlock it? I've not heard of this actually happening, just that people do it in hopes of that happening.
  • Options
    I was farming EE and I waited to activate him. I was lucky enough to pull him from a bronze. That was really helpful because EE is so hard to farm. I would have only activated 2*, but was able to get to 3* right away.
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    Options
    I had it pay off for me with Poggle the Lesser. I waited to activate because he wasn't going to be useful until 6* anyway. One day, Boom, Poggle drops in the Bronzium pack and he went from 0 to 6 star instantly. I'm building Ewok Elder the same way. No reason to activate him at 4* honestly.

For the record, it's KILLING me looking at that flashing "Activate" button but I've been able to hold off. And I only do this for toons that are available in Bronzium since I don't buy chormiums. So I activated others early (like Magmatrooper) because he would never drop from Bronze.
  • Options
    This is really good information going forward, thanks.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    I activate only when I am ready to put resources (time/energy/credits/mats) into a toon. Last week I had 5 waiting (Rey, Han, QGJ, Finn, 5's) but decided I could start gearing and leveling Rey and Han, so activated them. As credits become available I promote and star them.

I plan on doing the same with the others once Rey and Han are "done".
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just for some additional info...i've had Barris and Boba drop for me in Bronzium. So if I had been farming them at the time, this would have paid off.

Look at it this way. If you wait, you're not really losing anything except the "instant toon gratification" thing. The toon won't really be useful to you under 5* (probably 6) anyway. So take the gamble. Even if the odds are low, you could hit a jackpot like I did. If not, you've lost very little in the process....and probably saved up some credits in the meantime too.
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

So yes you are correct but there is slightly more to it. The game is all about resource management. So if you go and spend credits to activate, no big loss. But then you go 3 star, 4 star, 5 star, etc. If the toon isn't viable in all those phases, you have spent credits now when they could have gone to another toon that is viable. So you don't "save" any credits per say, but you maximize the potential of the credits you spend. Meaning, when you DO decide to spend the money to star up a toon, you can spend it all at once and use that toon immediately instead of waiting long periods between star increases for viability.

This is one of the ways that I have avoided the credit crunch that a lot are feeling. I have a few toons that I could 6 or 7 star, but I haven't because they are not useful to me right now. Sometimes the toon doesn't have synergy or in other cases, I'm saving Jedi star ups for the Yoda event to return. The spend is the same but the usefulness of the spend can be managed.
  • Options
    garublador wrote: »

If you already have a character and you get a full character drop you only get 7 shards. So obviously the shard difference is there, and obviously not spending the money until you need to is nice (who knows if you'll actually end up using it).

Its not always only 7 shards. characters that unlock at a higher star level give more. Like the other day I opened one of the chromium 8-pack bundles that dropped 3 full characters. All 3 Sun Fac. The first one immediately unlocked him at 3 stars which would take 50 shards to unlock normally and the other two each gave me 25 shards. I've never pulled any 4 star unlocks I already have, but I'd guess they'd give 40 shards since the 4 star unlock price is 80.
  • Options
    Actually, I think they only give 32 shards based on my experience with Rex.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how many I got when I pulled an Old Ben (when he was exclusive) but I just had a Rex and got 10 shards (though I haven't unlocked him of course)
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how many I got when I pulled an Old Ben (when he was exclusive) but I just had a Rex and got 10 shards (though I haven't unlocked him of course)

If you get shards from a Chromium you only get 10 shards (sometimes 12?). When you get a full character and you already have that character you get 7, 15, 25, or 32 shards, depending on what star level they unlock at.
  • ThermalGravy
    2 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So maybe I'm missing something. If I hold shards until I have enough to 7* a character, before I activate it, it will automatically be 7* when activated? Is that how it works? How much would that cost? The cost to upgrade from 6-7*?
  • Options
    It would take the full cost to upgrade every star rank they would level up. So if you have a 1* toon and don't activate until they have all like 300 shards needed to get them to 7*, then it would cost like 2.5 million to unlock them.
  • Options
    I usually activate so I can start gearing them up. I also get to try them out in daily challenges and GW while starring them up.
  • Options
    It would take the full cost to upgrade every star rank they would level up. So if you have a 1* toon and don't activate until they have all like 300 shards needed to get them to 7*, then it would cost like 2.5 million to unlock them.

Ok so really the advantage is saving the credits to use otherwise while you're collecting, and *hoping* you pull a couple starred character from the packs? Got it.
  • Toonny
    109 posts Member
    Options
    Yoritomo wrote: »
    I was farming EE and I waited to activate him. I was lucky enough to pull him from a bronze. That was really helpful because EE is so hard to farm. I would have only activated 2*, but was able to get to 3* right away.

I have a dump question, what is EE? Electric Engineer?
    I thought I have known most of the terms in this game already...
  • TheMadTwadder
    483 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ewok Elder @Toonny
  • Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The counter to this is when you are mid-way through the game. I remember when I had only a few toons but had invested all into them up to mid 50s level. I couldn't get anywhere with Galactic War until I spent a while building up a bench of not quite useless toons for suicide or C / D squads. I have now completed 80 Gws in a row since then.

Still in the habit of unlocking and levelling them up to 40 (which costs less than taking one toon from 76-77), then leaving them till I am ready to go back.

The other thing of course is getting the achievements - the cash from this is still useful.
  • Options
    I think it's more like 1.9 million, which means more than half the cost is going into the 6-7 star upgrade. The only advantage to waiting in that case is that you don't have credits tied up in a character that might not be usable.