Galactic War New Ideas and Frustration - An essay on Galactic War.

iDiego9
6 posts Member
edited May 2016
I have been playing this game since early January, and I wasn't a Star Wars fan back then, I watched all the movies with my friends but wasn't much into it, but this game was the reason why I got into Star Wars a lot and learned all the characters (not almost all) but the main characters from the movies and what not, this game made me watch all 7 movies again front and back and I've been obsessed with Star Wars since then, I am an officer of Stroking our Wookie and right now we are struggling to complete Tier 6 but we'll get there. Before I begin, I want to thank all the developers of this game for the constant updates and making such an awesome and addicting that is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes.

I am not the one to complain much about this game, although I feel like a few stuff, mostly characters should be balanced instead of nerfing the whole roster would be a great idea, but I'm not here to complain about this game, instead, to give the community a few ideas or my experience on Galactic War.

Now Galactic War is the main point why I get on this game sometimes, and I'll be honest, sometimes I don't look forward to it, I feel like it's a chore to me by this point but it can be fun. Who enjoys Simming through the gear or light side/dark side missions to get XP or even more gear, or auto-playing the challenging?, I don't enjoy that, I want to play the game right? So I believe that Galactic War and Squad Arena are the main modes of the game to help you unlock characters and all that, and it makes you strategize and it gives you a challenge right? But here's where the problem comes in.

A game should be challenging and quite difficult to play but not impossible, when it becomes really impossible and really stressing to get through, it's no longer fun, for example...for me at least, I don't enjoy retreating 20 times a node just so I could get an assist that I wanted, or a kill I wanted...maybe I didn't want to get stunned, or maybe I retreated because Dooku had 5 consecutive turns or maybe Fives counters and extra attacks me and kills one of my characters, it's getting harder and harder and even more frustrating to do this, at the end of the day, I complete my galactic war after a whole hour or more of frustration and let me tell you, that feeling I get when I open my last chest is the best one in the world. Players should not feel stressed out while playing a game or even taking an hour or more to complete one mode but we still do it because we love the game. I was thinking about some possible ideas that wouldn't break the game completely.

Let's say I'm doing Galactic War one day and I come across a Dooku, GS, Rey, Daka and RG, I sit there in frustration and dissapointment because I'll probably not complete GW that day or I'll simply have to retreat a bunch of times to finally get it down or maybe even lose one of my characters. In this case, there could be a "refresh button" by where it starts "START BATTLE" so it refreshes that node and searches for another squad, and to not break and abuse this "refresh" button, you can only use it 3 times a day.
I know this idea was probably given already but we should set matchmaking to our level, so I'm level 71, I should only face lvl 71 players or at least 2 or 3 levels above me at the least, I shouldn't be facing a level 80 team with gear 10 and omega ability mats characters, that would make it more fair and balanced. And the last one would be to borrow allies' heroes to make it easier on us on the later nodes, now that might give us a great advantage because it would be 6 vs. 5 but I feel like it would be a fun experience and experiment 2 leaders or 6 characters in GW at the most, if you feel like this would be too easy, then maybe we can only use allies 3 times per GW?.

But that's it, give me your thoughts on these ideas and I know that the development team is making a few fixes to Galactic War and making it better soon, so I'm really looking forward to that, by the way...Yoda event soon? (: I've spent months building up my Jedi and I'm finally ready to take on the green little monster. Thank you for your time to read this and thanks EA for such an awesome game!.

-Diego.

Replies

• gbshow
    89 posts Member
    Options
    yes that is a huge wall of words, good on you.
  • Options
    Great ideas. I am all for this. Nobody wants GW to be easy but all too often it's impossible. Just give me a beatable matchup, even if it takes out 3/5 of my squad. The point of GW is to test your depth after all. I like the idea of 3 refreshes a day. Why not? Or if you want to adopt EA's moneymaking mindset, make each refresh cost 20 gems. I would do that. Past level 65 or so, players HAVE to finish GW, pretty much every day, as it's our main way of gaining credits to train and level players. LS/DS won't do it, and the 300 credits I got from my bronzium ain't jack either.

• SireOfSmoke
    1 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to be able to clear through the galactic war almost every time I played it. Recently I keep getting to the second to last level and then my whole team gets taken down in ONE attack. YES. Whether it's rigged for everyone or not, I for one have grown tired of the CPUs doing more than 12 attacks on one turn. It's not some crazy sick team where the characters work off each other's affects, it's a basic team that is somehow getting turn meter to where the entire team attacks more than twice before it's even your turn. And you can't back out until it's your turn.
  • Options
    iDiego9 wrote: »
    I have been playing this game since early January, and I wasn't a Star Wars fan back then, I watched all the movies with my friends but wasn't much into it, but this game was the reason why I got into Star Wars a lot and learned all the characters (not almost all) but the main characters from the movies and what not, this game made me watch all 7 movies again front and back and I've been obsessed with Star Wars since then, I am an officer of Stroking our Wookie and right now we are struggling to complete Tier 6 but we'll get there. Before I begin, I want to thank all the developers of this game for the constant updates and making such an awesome and addicting that is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes.

I am not the one to complain much about this game, although I feel like a few stuff, mostly characters should be balanced instead of nerfing the whole roster would be a great idea, but I'm not here to complain about this game, instead, to give the community a few ideas or my experience on Galactic War.

Now Galactic War is the main point why I get on this game sometimes, and I'll be honest, sometimes I don't look forward to it, I feel like it's a chore to me by this point but it can be fun. Who enjoys Simming through the gear or light side/dark side missions to get XP or even more gear, or auto-playing the challenging?, I don't enjoy that, I want to play the game right? So I believe that Galactic War and Squad Arena are the main modes of the game to help you unlock characters and all that, and it makes you strategize and it gives you a challenge right? But here's where the problem comes in.

A game should be challenging and quite difficult to play but not impossible, when it becomes really impossible and really stressing to get through, it's no longer fun, for example...for me at least, I don't enjoy retreating 20 times a node just so I could get an assist that I wanted, or a kill I wanted...maybe I didn't want to get stunned, or maybe I retreated because Dooku had 5 consecutive turns or maybe Fives counters and extra attacks me and kills one of my characters, it's getting harder and harder and even more frustrating to do this, at the end of the day, I complete my galactic war after a whole hour or more of frustration and let me tell you, that feeling I get when I open my last chest is the best one in the world. Players should not feel stressed out while playing a game or even taking an hour or more to complete one mode but we still do it because we love the game. I was thinking about some possible ideas that wouldn't break the game completely.

Let's say I'm doing Galactic War one day and I come across a Dooku, GS, Rey, Daka and RG, I sit there in frustration and dissapointment because I'll probably not complete GW that day or I'll simply have to retreat a bunch of times to finally get it down or maybe even lose one of my characters. In this case, there could be a "refresh button" by where it starts "START BATTLE" so it refreshes that node and searches for another squad, and to not break and abuse this "refresh" button, you can only use it 3 times a day.
    I know this idea was probably given already but we should set matchmaking to our level, so I'm level 71, I should only face lvl 71 players or at least 2 or 3 levels above me at the least, I shouldn't be facing a level 80 team with gear 10 and omega ability mats characters, that would make it more fair and balanced. And the last one would be to borrow allies' heroes to make it easier on us on the later nodes, now that might give us a great advantage because it would be 6 vs. 5 but I feel like it would be a fun experience and experiment 2 leaders or 6 characters in GW at the most, if you feel like this would be too easy, then maybe we can only use allies 3 times per GW?.

But that's it, give me your thoughts on these ideas and I know that the development team is making a few fixes to Galactic War and making it better soon, so I'm really looking forward to that, by the way...Yoda event soon? (: I've spent months building up my Jedi and I'm finally ready to take on the green little monster. Thank you for your time to read this and thanks EA for such an awesome game!.

-Diego.

I fully agree! Great post!
  • Thisisa
    10 posts Member
    Options
    I have cleared it almost every day for 6 months. I hate it. I absolutely hate this pet of the game. In my mind the only reason it exists is to get the credits, which we are all starving for right now. It was an interesting mode before the retreat button changes, but now it's just a Galactic Chore every single day. Completely ridiculous synergy teams, high level Leias getting consistent triple taps, RG nonsense, dodge teams. You spend hours sometimes, just to try to get some credits.

I'd like to see a complete overhaul, or the rewards nerfed and placed elsewhere. I really don't want to do it but I feel like I have to. Playing the retreat RNG game feels stupid but it's completely necessary.

I'd agree that allowing ally borrows to create a 6 man roster would help, but it doesn't help the underlying problem of what's just a really bad mode in general.
  • Options
    GW seems totally impossible and frustrating to me. I'm lvl 76 but i could finish all the battles in GW only 6 times since i started playing many months ago. Since protection and other changes were introduced i couldn't finish it at all not even once.
  • Spkv2
    22 posts Member
    Options
    Here here! Bravo
  • Options
    I stated elsewhere that what really needs to change is how the opposing teams are chosen.

A cap for the number of times a character can be used against you by the AI would be a great way to make sure that you don't face the same teams again and again.

A soft cap, where a toon can be used, say, 3 times max, unless it strikes a finishing blow during a battle...and then it gets 1 extra use in GW per finishing blow, up to 3 finishing blows (for 6 total appearances in GW that day).

If you do this, then getting Phasma early in the GW is an opportunity to knock her out so that you are less likely to see her on nodes 10-12. On the other hand, Phasma has good health and is playing a support role, so while you're knocking out Phasma for long-term gain, you might be allowing an easily farmable DPS character like Luke get in a killing blow...and now you might just have to face a level 75 Luke in the later nodes.

Caps would prevent all the nodes from being boring as heck and would also create choices in the middle 6 nodes that are more likely to affect the last 3 nodes. Right now, you're unlikely to lose any of your best toons in the middle 6 nodes, but it does happen. We also use suicide teams and lesser-toons to keep our best toons at full protection for later nodes. That means that we might just allow a Phasma or a Luke to kill someone on node 6 or 7 or 8.

With a soft cap, it not only matters to you that your toon died (and is out of the fight for the day), but it also matters which opposing toon struck the finishing blow.

GW becomes much more interesting when the cap forces the AI to throw different teams at you AND your choices actually have the possibility of impacting which toons the AI has available when it gets to nodes 10, 11, & 12.

The good part? You can arrange it so that you won't be facing Phasma, GS, Rey, Dooku & RG.

The bad part? That means when you actually get to node 12, that level 70something, Gear8-10 with 32 stars between the 5 toons might just be a team you've never seen together before! Yowch!

But me, I'd rather the new & different challenges if the other choice is the same boredom I've had for a while now in GW.
  • Options
    The whole point is that you are running a marathon of 100 yard dashes and they are throwing sprinters at you. I for one AM SICK OF SEEING WHALE TEAM LEIA'S. Give it a fricken rest you money grubbing ^#^%* (*Y%*%% $!$@$^&*.
  • Options
    Its Official GW S*U*C*K*S AGAIN......D*A*M*N BEAN COUNTERS........