Ethical conundrum using foresight

Okay, so a Raid attempt last night made me wonder what exactly the ramifications are when someone uses foresight before the Rancor devours them. I had thought the mechanism of foresight is that the buffed character is shown, through visions of the force, a brief glimpse of the future and how to save themselves from an injury. However, the Rancor's Devour skill goes right through that, so the character presumably goes through their inescapable, horrible fatality twice over.

Imagine for a moment the fate of my poor GS:

The fight was going well for GS. He couldn't quite remember why he was in this pit, or how he had come across these unlikely allies, but he barely had a scratch on his carapace and was doing significant amount of damage to the gargantuan bipedal beast in front of them. GS saw his small, green compatriot perform a silly, flamboyant gesture and GS saw...

without warning, the Rancor lunged forward at GS. All his limbs were crushed instantaneously, but like the cockroach he was, he unfortunately maintained complete clarity and consciousness. His teammates stood by and watch impotently as he was raised up to the horrible, fetid chasm of teeth and gore.GS tried to buzz in horror, but his wings snapped like twigs and muted him. His hard shell, which had made for an effectual defense, made his demise drag on for long minutes, until finally...

GS snapped back to the present, knowing full well that the future could and must be changed. With plenty of warning this time, the Rancor lunged at the Geonosian with his hand. GS dodged expertly, but nonetheless found himself in the giant leathery palm of the hand, all limbs crushed for a second time of fresh agony. GS looked pleadingly around, hoping against hope he could post to some forum the sheer unfairness of this situation, when his eyes met those of his small green friend. The one who had given him his vision was... smiling?? The last thing GS's non-compound, yet still bug-like eyes saw was the green one, mouthing silently: Stop. One-shotting. Me. Bro.

Please think before giving your characters foresight. Ignorance is bliss.

This PSA brought to you by the committee against foresight.

Replies

• Options
    Dam son!
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Options
    Well......

".....hasn't given you the knowledge to conjur up the stolen data plans"

"Will they die ? - Difficult to see, always in motion is the Future."

The Foresight ability is a slight glimpse into an immediate possible future. The Rancor's attack is Unavoidable..... And, I'm pretty sure you knew this before you used the Foresight ability.

Two suggestions for GS:

Hang out with companions that don't waste actions in a tough fight

Meet with a Jedi Master beforehand and decide not to show up to face the dreaded beast.

Conclusion: GS isn't the brightest pumpkin in the patch.

"I'm glad your dead."
    -Jack Nicholson's Joker from Batman
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    Lol nice. You play a lot of d and d?
  • Options
    @Tolodine Nice use of canonical quotes to make a good point! And you are right, I did hear it was unavoidable, but I wanted to test it to see if it was broken like many other things in Raids (Heal block broken, allegedly some leader abilities, cooldown numbers displayed on rancor abilities not accurate, etc)

@Snake2 I used to in college, dang it's one of those things you don't realize you miss until someone reminds you!

I suppose Yoda giving others foresight might not be visions. Maybe it's like that X-files episode where there's a clairvoyant warning Mulder how he will die.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    its raining men! hallelujah its raining men! amen.
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Options
    Snake2 wrote: »
    Lol nice. You play a lot of d and d?

Sadly, yes.... yes I did.

Studied more Rulebooks in School than textbooks.

Made me a heckofa DM though ;)
  • Tolodine
    186 posts Member
    Options
    @Tolodine Nice use of canonical quotes to make a good point! And you are right, I did hear it was unavoidable, but I wanted to test it to see if it was broken like many other things in Raids (Heal block broken, allegedly some leader abilities, cooldown numbers displayed on rancor abilities not accurate, etc)

@Snake2 I used to in college, dang it's one of those things you don't realize you miss until someone reminds you!

I suppose Yoda giving others foresight might not be visions. Maybe it's like that X-files episode where there's a clairvoyant warning Mulder how he will die.

Really glad you weren't offended by my post.

I often come across like a goof :(

Love the name btw !

Cheers
  • Options
    "Don't fall asleep. DON'T. FALL. ASLEEP."
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    By this definition, my Resistance Pilot is very strong in the force. She gives herself foresight.
This discussion has been closed.