Am I that bad at Maths?

Curious how the stat/chance calculator works in this game.

If I have a character who has a 50-60% chance of say Ability Block or Stun then in my Maths that means that out of 10 hits I should see 4 or 5 results. Oddly enough the character I am thinking of can perform 6 or 7 hits and not get a single positive result and this is the case on a regular basis. Which is annoying as his failure rate, despite being upgraded to 60% chance, means I keep failing the challenge at the top tier. How the heck does that work?

Replies

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Chance to proc is different than chance to stick.

60% chance to proc means 40% of the time it does nothing, and 60% of the time it can be resisted.

Math is singular and has no plural.
  • Arijit
    510 posts Member
    Options
    With 60% you can successfully land a detrimental effect on the opposition, but it can be then resisted depending on the tenacity of the opposition and the potency of your toon . Like Lumi secondary fully upgraded ensures 100% ability block, but is many times resisted by the opposition because of her 0% potency.
  • Options
    Fair enough, it just seems like it gets resisted a **** sight more than it should. I like battles to teeter but it just seems a bit rough when the poor **** can't cop a break at all and at least fluke a win for me once in a while. :D
  • Arijit
    510 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Timitock wrote: »

60% chance to proc means 40% of the time it does nothing, and 60% of the time it can be resisted.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/math-maths/

"Math and maths are equally acceptable abbreviations of mathematics. The only difference is that math is preferred in the U.S. and Canada, and maths is preferred in the U.K., Australia, and most other English-speaking areas of the world."
  • Options
    Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Oi! Oi! Oi! B)
  • Options
    Maths is an abbreviation of Mathematics. In the same way as you would say TVs. Since when have you heard anyone talk about a Mathematic?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    removed
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Jazz66
    212 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Dude this is a Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes forum where people from across the world can participate. Take your narrow view of language somewhere else, there's no place for pettiness and pedantry here.

Edit: your stats point is valid though.
    Sith Yoda: mandryk.artstation.com
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    I see Lumi's ability block like that: 100% of the time, it works 40% of the time
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Jazz66 wrote: »

Dude this is a Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes forum where people from across the world can participate. Take your narrow view of language somewhere else, there's no place for pettiness and pedantry here.

This is not the proper forum to debate this.

Please do not insult me, I did not insult you.
  • Jazz66
    212 posts Member
    Options

I didn't insult you. Your drawing attention to what you believed was an incorrect use of "maths" was irrelevant to the post, therefore you were being pedantic. If you were genuinely unaware that "maths" is used in most of the world then you have a narrow view of language. If you were aware then you were just being petty. Either way, you're correct, this isn't the place to debate it, just wanted to let you know that it wasn't an insult. Anyway, no hard feelings :)
    Sith Yoda: mandryk.artstation.com
  • Jedibaldy
    24 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Depends where you live - have a read of these explanations:

dailywritingtips.com/math-or-maths/
    grammarist.com/spelling/math-maths/

For me "Math" feels totally wrong but I live in the UK :)
  • Options
    Magma tm reduction works 0-0.05% of the time, with no gear to upgrade potency.
  • clhs
    195 posts Member
    Options

In English it's "maths" so the OP is correct.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Stay-on-topic.jpg
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • ldkronos
    63 posts Member
    Options
    Maths is an abbreviation of Mathematics. In the same way as you would say TVs. Since when have you heard anyone talk about a Mathematic?

I'm certainly not going to argue whether math or maths is more correct, but I will say that YOUR particular argument actually defeats itself. Televisions is shortend to TVs because televisions is plural of television, thus when abbreviated, TVs is a plural of TV. However, as you say...there is no "mathematic", so mathematics is thus not a plural, thus the abbreviation does not need to be pluralized. So in attempting to argue in favor of "maths", you provided an arguement that actually favors "math".
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone have good examples how the stats and procs actiually work.... Without offering advice on speling ;)
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Options
    J0K3R wrote: »
    Anyone have good examples how the stats and procs actiually work.... Without offering advice on speling ;)

Grammar. Spelling is correct for both. Grammar is what is in question here.

But seriously, I think there really is no accurate way to measure it, as everything has a certain chance to land, and everything has a certain chance to be resisted. Add in tenacity and potency of characters, and it makes all the above pointless.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options

I didn't insult you. Your drawing attention to what you believed was an incorrect use of "maths" was irrelevant to the post, therefore you were being pedantic. If you were genuinely unaware that "maths" is used in most of the world then you have a narrow view of language. If you were aware then you were just being petty. Either way, you're correct, this isn't the place to debate it, just wanted to let you know that it wasn't an insult. Anyway, no hard feelings :)

It's also not the first time he's corrected people's correct use of the English Language. In the past he corrected me on defence vs defense.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    A hit is always a hit unless it is Evaded.
    Evasion chance affects this. We have no solid info on this stat.
    A debuff can be applied regardless of a hit, and is an opposed roll between the attacker's Potency and the defender's Tenacity.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I brought up the math thing, I should have known people would go out of their way to argue that point.
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    Options
    I could care less, oh... I couldn't care less. No wait. Both.
  • garublador
    915 posts Member
    Options
    If I have a character who has a 50-60% chance of say Ability Block or Stun then in my Maths that means that out of 10 hits I should see 4 or 5 results.
    You're a bit off on that, too. You'd expect to see 5-6 procs most of the time. You'd expect to see 0 procs sometimes and 10 procs sometimes, too, just not nearly as often as the 5-6 procs. That's before the potency/tenacity calculation.

• TOMxBAKER
    30 posts Member
    Options
    But there are two Maths here...

Math one how often is effect cast
    Math two how often is it resisted.

Since there is more than one math at work here the correct term is obviously Maths.

• papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    To answer your question. Probably, but I can't give you the probability stats.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    TOMxBAKER wrote: »
    But there are two Maths here...

Math one how often is effect cast
    Math two how often is it resisted.

Since there is more than one math at work here the correct term is obviously Maths.

not sure if trolling or ...
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    OP definitely isnt asian
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    papnwors wrote: »
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    Curious how the stat/chance calculator works in this game.

If I have a character who has a 50-60% chance of say Ability Block or Stun then in my Maths that means that out of 10 hits I should see 4 or 5 results.

>>Am I that bad at Maths?<<

And grammar apparently.... MATH is singular.. there is no 's'

Actually that depends where you are. Only in America do you call it math. The rest of the English speaking world calls it maths.
    The word is mathematics after all, not mathematic.

*Americas

Lol touché

• quigonkenny
    240 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    garublador wrote: »
    You're a bit off on that, too. You'd expect to see 5-6 procs most of the time. You'd expect to see 0 procs sometimes and 10 procs sometimes, too, just not nearly as often as the 5-6 procs. That's before the potency/tenacity calculation.
    Probability doesn't work like that. If you toss a coin ten times in a row, does it always come up heads "five or six times"? No. It usually will, but it might come up once, or ten times, or none. Probability doesn't "autocorrect" based upon earlier instances. It's however much percentage each time.

Edit: Ah, I misread. That's exactly what you're saying. Just woke up...ugh... Please ignore...
  • Options
    I just discovered that the thread got sliced by the mods, which is probably a good thing. :lol:

I was tired when I posted and had a brain seizure obviously, I should have thought about resistance etc.

Thanks for that.