Math vs maths, spelling and grammar

Prev1
J0K3R
2286 posts Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Am I that bad at Maths?.
May the force be with you. It shall free you.

Replies

• Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    ldkronos wrote: »
    Maths is an abbreviation of Mathematics. In the same way as you would say TVs. Since when have you heard anyone talk about a Mathematic?

I'm certainly not going to argue whether math or maths is more correct, but I will say that YOUR particular argument actually defeats itself. Televisions is shortend to TVs because televisions is plural of television, thus when abbreviated, TVs is a plural of TV. However, as you say...there is no "mathematic", so mathematics is thus not a plural, thus the abbreviation does not need to be pluralized. So in attempting to argue in favor of "maths", you provided an arguement that actually favors "math".

Mathematics is a plural noun, but often treated as a singular out of habbits.
    People often refer to maths as a school subject, therefore using a singular.
    The abbreviation can be pluralized or not, and both are correct.

But the etymology varies among languages. In French, it's always a plural noun. In german, it's always a singular. So there's no real rule apparently.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Curious how the stat/chance calculator works in this game.

If I have a character who has a 50-60% chance of say Ability Block or Stun then in my Maths that means that out of 10 hits I should see 4 or 5 results.

>>Am I that bad at Maths?<<

And grammar apparently.... MATH is singular.. there is no 's'
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »

If I have a character who has a 50-60% chance of say Ability Block or Stun then in my Maths that means that out of 10 hits I should see 4 or 5 results.

Actually that depends where you are. Only in America do you call it math. The rest of the English speaking world calls it maths.
    The word is mathematics after all, not mathematic.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Options
    Arijit wrote: »
    Timitock wrote: »
    Chance to proc is different than chance to stick.

60% chance to proc means 40% of the time it does nothing, and 60% of the time it can be resisted.

Math is singular and has no plural.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/math-maths/

"Math and maths are equally acceptable abbreviations of mathematics. The only difference is that math is preferred in the U.S. and Canada, and maths is preferred in the U.K., Australia, and most other English-speaking areas of the world."

Ah but you forget one thing the Queens English is BETA, we had time to mature and improve the language, and the REST of the world speaks proper English 2.0..

Also I know LOTS of English speaking people from UK and Australia.. this is NOT common at all, they ALL say the same MATH has no 's' I don't care what this site says, its not correct.

Language is one thing, PROPER pronunciation and GRAMMAR is another, just because some off beat suburbs in those countries speak improper English hardly makes it acceptable.

• Options
    papnwors wrote: »

Actually that depends where you are. Only in America do you call it math. The rest of the English speaking world calls it maths.

*Americas
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Options

60% chance to proc means 40% of the time it does nothing, and 60% of the time it can be resisted.

"Math and maths are equally acceptable abbreviations of mathematics. The only difference is that math is preferred in the U.S. and Canada, and maths is preferred in the U.K., Australia, and most other English-speaking areas of the world."

I have noticed one Q/A at the following site noting the historical use of the colloquial abbreviations of "mathematics".

'Math' as a colloquial short form of 'mathematics' first appeared in print quite a while ago, in 1847, although that 'math' sported a period ('It rained so that we had a math. lesson indoors.') and was thus clearly a simple informal abbreviation. 'Math' unadorned appeared by the 1870s. 'Maths' is a bit newer, first appearing in print in 1911.

Taken from: http://www.word-detective.com/20...

The source of this page cites the Oxford English Dictionary as the source of these dates. One finds, for instance, the most extant appearance of "math." in 1847: "W. G. Hammond Diary 4 June in G. F. Whicher Remembrance of Amherst (1946) 120 It rained so that we had a math. lesson indoors."

...the FULL ENTRY for "maths" is quite interesting. "Mathy", for instance. And "Math's" as well. No appearance prior to 1911, however.

Its etymology may be found at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat...).

To answer the "why" part of this question, we should look (according to the above-quoted text) to the printed texts circa 1911. Perhaps some sense of the "why" also comes in the paragraph of etymology cited above on Wikipedia:

The apparent plural form in English, like the French plural form les mathématiques (and the less commonly used singular derivative la mathématique), goes back to the Latin neuter plural mathematica (Cicero), based on the Greek plural τα μαθηματικά (ta mathēmatiká), used by Aristotle (384-322BC), and meaning roughly "all things mathematical"; although it is plausible that English borrowed only the adjective mathematic(al) and formed the noun mathematics anew, after the pattern of physics and metaphysics which were inherited from the Greek. In English, the noun mathematics takes singular verb forms. It is often shortened to maths or, in English-speaking North America, math.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Options
    TOMxBAKER wrote: »
    But there are two Maths here...

Math one how often is effect cast
    Math two how often is it resisted.

Since there is more than one math at work here the correct term is obviously Maths.

It's called education.. you might want to learn it. I suppose Worse plural is worser too right? Just because you logical think it should be that way is NOT how language works. You adopt the language, the language does not adopt you.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Ah but you forget one thing the Queens English is BETA, we had time to mature and improve the language, and the REST of the world speaks proper English 2.0..

Also I know LOTS of English speaking people from UK and Australia.. this is NOT common at all, they ALL say the same MATH has no 's' I don't care what this site says, its not correct.

Language is one thing, PROPER pronunciation and GRAMMAR is another, just because some off beat suburbs in those countries speak improper English hardly makes it acceptable.

This may actually be the most disconnected, arrogant thing I've ever read on this forum.

Since there is more than one math at work here the correct term is obviously Maths.

It's called education.. you might want to learn it. I suppose Worse plural is worser too right? Just because you logical think it should be that way is NOT how language works. You adopt the language, the language does not adopt you.

And please, read something about the history of language before you make yourself look any more ignorant. If the language didn't adopt us, we'd still all be speaking pre-Victorian English, we'd have nowhere near the vocabulary English does (35~% from French - dos that sounds like the language not adapting?). Please stop while you're only the furthest behind I can imagine. I don't want to see what comes next.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options

logically*
  • Options
    hhooo wrote: »

This may actually be the most disconnected, arrogant thing I've ever read on this forum.

+1
  • Options
    clhs wrote: »

In English it's "maths" so the OP is correct.

Let's all just agree that regardless of how we abbreviate it, it is something that most Americans are bad at!
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    hhooo wrote: »

+1

+1
  • Options
    This thread has been one of the more interesting I've read in some time, and an educational moment for me also. I work in a global industry, but this is the first I've heard of "Maths", I must confess.
    Drop It Like It's xHOTHx
    In Game Name: E Chu Ta
  • garublador
    915 posts Member
    Options
    So why isn't administrator shortened to "adminr" or moderator to "modr?" What about limousine to "limoe" or university to "uniy?" Shouldn't a taxi or taxicab really be a taxir or taxircabt since it's short for taximeter cabriolet (which is a good abbreviation to add to your vocaby)? ;)
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    garublador wrote: »
    So why isn't administrator shortened to "adminr" or moderator to "modr?" What about limousine to "limoe" or university to "uniy?" Shouldn't a taxi or taxicab really be a taxir or taxircabt since it's short for taximeter cabriolet (which is a good abbreviation to add to your vocaby)? ;)

What?
    Honestly you've missed my point entirely lol.
    It's like calling the United states the United state and saying that's the same. It's like trying to say the singular of panties or socks. There isn't one.
    Mathematics is a plural, there is no singular. Applied mathematics, cannot be applied math. Etc.

And I can see you must be on the road from your examples, travel safe, don't forum and drive!
  • Options
    This is all everyone needs to know - English is the most **** up and complicated languages. Math isn't just one subject - it's multiple subjects, therefore Maths is correct, just as science/sciences.

But wow! What was the original subject of this post, anyways?
  • Options

For fun I went to Amazon U.K. and looked at the Text Books they were selling for mathematics. Sure enough, most of 'em say "Maths" in the title.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

cambridge <-- this is a link(edit)
    is cambridge university in one of those off beat suburbs you are talking about ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options

For fun I went to Amazon U.K. and looked at the Text Books they were selling for mathematics. Sure enough, most of 'em say "Maths" in the title.

Australia, South Africa, Europe all call it "maths" as far as I'm aware.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

What the heck? Your example is terrible and doesn't make sense.
    You can write "admins" and "mods" for instance. Plural nound can keep their "s" at the end of the abbreviation. That's why spelling it "maths" isn't wrong.
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    Sikho wrote: »

What the heck? Your example is terrible and doesn't make sense.
    You can write "admins" and "mods" for instance. Plural nound can keep their "s" at the end of the abbreviation. That's why spelling it "maths" isn't wrong.

+1 I also could not make sense of his examples, your reply was better than mine though.
  • TOMxBAKER
    30 posts Member
    Options

It depends on how many are actually worse.

If two it would be worser,
    But if three or more it would be worsest...

Right?

Btw... Logical thinking is for the logicalists... I try to be more plural than logical in my thinking.

Also, btw... Yes, I was just messin'.

The real problem is I want my stun to hit 100%, and my resist to work 100%. Is that too much to ask?

Lol

• garublador
    915 posts Member
    Options
    So how many mathematics are there? If I add two plus two am I doing a mathematic or am I doing mathematics? Would you say maths is hard or maths are hard?

For the record, I believe both are perfectly valid. Mathematics is a plural that's treated as a singular. There is no logical argument for one that can't be countered by equal logic for the other.
  • Options
    So how many mathematics are there? If I add two plus two am I doing a mathematic or am I doing mathematics? Would you say maths is hard or maths are hard?

For the record, I believe both are perfectly valid. Mathematics is a plural that's treated as a singular. There is no logical argument for one that can't be countered by equal logic for the other.

Include subtraction, multiplication, division, calculus, trigonometry, algebra, etc etc etc.
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Maths is hard, not maths are hard, it's not strictly plural, just like panties. The word is mathematics, there is no word I've heard of mathematic.
    Just because a word ends in an "s" doesn't make it strictly plural.

I'm sure people have debated this many many times over and as you say both are valid.
  • Thorngrim_Felaxe
    40 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Mate I'm going to weigh into this one afterall. I started a simple thread when I was a bit tired and 'Duh!' I forgot about factoring in resistance etc. However, you my friend are either trolling for a bite with your incorrectly spelled words or you are one of those people we have some colourful names for Down Under.

You may know a lot of English speakers but I live in Australia and have done for several decades now. I have watched and heard the language adapt around me and I have adopted it as my own after immigrating here. As a high school English teacher I cringed at several of your posts and was nearly ready to copy, paste and CORRECT them. To quote the Bard himself “If thou wilt needs marry, marry a fool; for wise men know well enough what monsters you make of them.” Edited to a more appropriate one.

As for the rest of you thanks for the feedback on my original question and also thanks for a great belly laugh for the rapid use of First Order flame throwers. TBH I actually missed old mate's dig at my use of the Queens English when I skimmed over his reply last night. It just goes to show that the use of goodera Engrish iz knot the saim akross awl of the colonies. o:)
    Post edited by Thorngrim_Felaxe on
  • Options
    I just call it thematics for short. Or attics when I'm in a rush.

Wait, should I be saying attics or attic?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options

Do u guys call BBQs, Barbies?
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Options
    J0K3R wrote: »

Why Yes, yes we do. B)
  • Options
    J0K3R wrote: »

Yup. Both an event and an item.

E.G. Wanna come round for a barbie on Saturday mate?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.