Old Ben Leader Arena Team

Prev1
scca325is
36 posts Member
edited May 2016
I have faced the below team in the Arena 4 times, and keep getting demolished. I have tried several combinations on my team but I have been unable to kill even a single enemy toon before I am destroyed.

Old Ben (L)
QGJ
Yoda
GS
ST Han

All of them are at L77, 7*, G8 or above.

I go for Han first to try and stun or kill, but with Ben's leader ability, I miss like half the time.

Any thoughts?

Here is my roster (L76, 7*, G8 or above):

QGJ (L)
Yoda
Leia
GS
RG

I also have these toons in reserve with same level, gear and stars:

Daka
Aayla
Lumi
Dooku
Kylo
Phasma
Barriss

Replies

• Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    scca325is wrote: »
    I have faced the below team in the Arena 4 times, and keep getting demolished.

Any thoughts?

I'd say RNG is working as intended, I don't see a problem. Get some defense or use barriss on your team to overcome attacks and out heal their team..

Speed will not help you, you want Yoda so you can mitigate bad stuff, lumi for backup heals, and you need Lumi to lead if not barriss.

So Barriss (L), Lumi, QGJ, Yoda and 5th doesn't matter much.

That would be my suggestion, because that's my squad, or I use Old Ben as Lead as well. Yoda used correctly can save you.. watch for Yoda evade buff, if you can use it then immediately use Battle meditation, and everyone (Jedi) get his buffs.

• Options
    Just use your Yoda right from start tenacity up & Ben can't ability block
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Old ben
    Gs
    Leia
    RG
    QGJ

That is the team I would ignore , the rest you listed I would fight.
  • Akster
    571 posts Member
    Options
    Just use your Yoda right from start tenacity up & Ben can't ability block

The same can be said for dooku, but he still has leader that makes everyone dodge 40% of the time and gives them offense up, if you attack rey on your first turn it is guaranteed for rey to dodge and gain offense up, then oneshot one of your characters, fact =P
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    I have faced the below team in the Arena 4 times, and keep getting demolished. I have tried several combinations on my team but I have been unable to kill even a single enemy toon before I am destroyed.

Old Ben (L)
    QGJ
    Yoda
    GS
    ST Han

I go for Han first to try and stun or kill, but with Ben's leader ability, I miss like half the time.

Any thoughts?

QGJ (L)
    Yoda
    Leia
    GS
    RG

Daka
    Aayla
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Kylo
    Phasma
    Barriss

What team have you been running against the Old Ben squad? is it the QGJ, Yoda, Leia, GS, RG squad?
  • scca325is
    36 posts Member
    Options
    I have tried many variations with my squad, but the dodge rate from old Ben is crazy. Coupled with the turn meter gain he grants when missing, I just get creamed no matter my squad.

My QGJ led team did not do anything, so I tried Dooku as lead, and still got nothing. Even when the enemy toons missed attacking me, and I got offense up, I would then miss on my attacks and they would get turn meter gain.

I am surprised this enemy team in the Arena is not higher on the boards. They are currently around the 20 rank...
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's a tough squad to beat, try this maybe.

Phasma (L)
    Leia
    Yoda
    QGJ
    RG

1. Don't start on Han, he slows you down whether he's taunting or not, it's his Plan B ability. Leave Han 2nd to last.
    2. Start on QGJ so he can't break RG's taunt
    3. Yoda's first turn must be Battle Meditation so Old Ben doesn't lock you down and you should resist Han's passive chance at the start of his turn. Also, the Tenacity buff often causes the QGJ AI to Humbling Blow somebody to break Tenacity which is a good thing because it's not available for Taunt right away.
    4. The other Yoda probably won't Battle Meditate to start (Yoda AI is so bad), so use Phasma's speed-down AOE (forget the name) to slow them down.
    5. If you don't need the defense up buff, use RG to try and stun GS
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    Options
    Old ben
    Gs
    Leia
    RG
    QGJ

That is the team I would ignore , the rest you listed I would fight.

So if you faced this team in GW, you can't skip it you would just abandon the GW?

That's not good advice, he wants to know HOW to fight it not how to avoid it. Plus the other teams he listed are *HIS* teams...
  • ioniancat21
    2091 posts Member
    Options

Old Ben (L)
    QGJ
    Yoda
    GS
    ST Han

Any thoughts?

QGJ (L)
    Yoda
    Leia
    GS
    RG

Daka
    Aayla
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Kylo
    Phasma
    Barriss

Put in Dooku as Leader and replace Yoda with Daka, maybe replace Leia with QGJ....
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Old Ben (L)
    QGJ
    Yoda
    GS
    ST Han

Any thoughts?

QGJ (L)
    Yoda
    Leia
    GS
    RG

Daka
    Aayla
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Kylo
    Phasma
    Barriss

Put in Dooku as Leader and replace Yoda with Daka, maybe replace Leia with QGJ....

Why would you replace Yoda with Daka? the stuns are nice but Daka would be negated before she can stun Old Ben to prevent the Mind Tricks, ST Han goes before she does and would just taunt. Yoda protects your squad from Old Ben and the AI is too stupid to realize you have Tenacity up and will waste Mind Tricks on your squad anyway.
  • K1ngYoda
    203 posts Member
    Options
    need another dispeller, imo. ie: Mace

and instead of going after Han first...attack QGJ and get him out. Use Mace and QGJ to remove Hans Taunt and keep going.
    “Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing …”

– Yoda
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nah man, 2 debuffers is not needed here, it's a waste. To beat this team you have to protect yourself from Old Ben and ST Han, protect your Han from their QGJ. Once you have their team beating on your Han and their AI wastes Mind Tricks on your Tenacity buffed team, it's pretty much over. Han's taunt is on a 6-turn cooldown, the arena is over one way or another before that happens.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    I would think Old Ben lead nullifies the need for Han.
    {RotE}
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    LaLiam wrote: »

I've been running it for a while now and it actually compliments very well. Old Ben has a chance to knock down their TM by 60% and then Han's abilities kind of continuously takes little chunks out of their TM from there, makes it hard to recover from.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options

I've been running it for a while now and it actually compliments very well. Old Ben has a chance to knock down their TM by 60% and then Han's abilities kind of continuously takes little chunks out of their TM from there, makes it hard to recover from.

Interesting. Ben(L),Rey,daka,han,gs? Could try to put hrs in there or even the soldier for a double taunt
    {RotE}
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    Options

That's the problem. When ST Han takes a hit his team gains turn meter. So by trying to kill him you're speeding up his entire team. lol

Save Han for last. When he taunts use QGJ to dispel it and ignore him. He usually doesn't get more than one taunt in.

• _Wong64
    233 posts Member
    Options
    I say use QGJ Lum Ahsoka RG and Yoda
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options

Interesting. Ben(L),Rey,daka,han,gs? Could try to put hrs in there or even the soldier for a double taunt

I run Ben(L), Rey, QGJ, Yoda, ST Han. It works really well. The worst match I've had in the last week ended in a draw and that was due in part to a mistake I made. It defends pretty well even though the AI has no idea how to play Yoda.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    I run Old Ben (L), Fives, Vader, Leia and ST Han in arena currently and it is a brutal team. I would like to change out Han for Gamorrean Guard once he's strong enough and I think it will work even better. I sit at #1 most of the day and can beat pretty much any team on auto on offense with this setup
  • Options
    I have tried some of the team combinations you all suggested, but still could not even get a single enemy toon down. It does not matter how offensive, defensive I build my team...the dodge rate is insane.

Twice I tried to dispel han's taunt with QGJ, and both times he dodged. End game.

I can build a team to get around the turn meter boost from Han, and even the ability block from ben. But the combination of ability block, Han, AND the dodge (with even more turn meter boost) is just epic.

This seems to be a great Arena squad, maybe I should start adjusting to the new meta ;)
  • Options
    I have tried many variations with my squad, but the dodge rate from old Ben is crazy. Coupled with the turn meter gain he grants when missing, I just get creamed no matter my squad.

My QGJ led team did not do anything, so I tried Dooku as lead, and still got nothing. Even when the enemy toons missed attacking me, and I got offense up, I would then miss on my attacks and they would get turn meter gain.

I am surprised this enemy team in the Arena is not higher on the boards. They are currently around the 20 rank...

I run Old Ben (L), Lumi, QGJ, Mace, and Yoda, all maxed except Yoda I'm waiting for the event to return. Being all Jedi puts a target on you, so I never stay top 50, but I'm definitely glad they finally fixed Old Ben's leader ability.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    I have a hard time understanding how you lose to that team. I also have a hard time understanding why you prefer Yoda to Daka. If you are worried about Old Ben's ability block, you can try to stun him with Daka/RG before he does that. One more thing, if that Han is at gear 9, don't go for him first, go for QGJ or GS first. Either try to stun him or swap QGJ in instead of GS. With Daka and Jinn instead of Yoda and GS you really shouldn't have a problem beating that team. The amount of dodging can be INSANE when Old Ben is leader, but you should be able to beat it.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    If you're wondering what i am on suggesting swapping QGJ for GS i will tell you. Against dodge, QGJ's utility is much better than GS's damage. If they dodge the swarm you are left with an **** bug that does 3k damage on his auto. On the other hand, if QGJ can call either Daka or RG for an assist and if RNG is with you you will get a stun or stun+speed down. If this were a defense question, i would leave GS instead of QGJ. But against that team imo QGJ/Daka are worth more than GS/Yoda.
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh wow. Sorry I auto assumed you used Phasma as lead. Why are you using QGJ as lead there? No...

EDIT: So your team will be Phasma (L) Leia RG QGJ/GS Daka.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    Alexone wrote: »
    I have a hard time understanding how you lose to that team. I also have a hard time understanding why you prefer Yoda to Daka. If you are worried about Old Ben's ability block, you can try to stun him with Daka/RG before he does that. One more thing, if that Han is at gear 9, don't go for him first, go for QGJ or GS first. Either try to stun him or swap QGJ in instead of GS. With Daka and Jinn instead of Yoda and GS you really shouldn't have a problem beating that team. The amount of dodging can be INSANE when Old Ben is leader, but you should be able to beat it.

Daka is a 55% chance to stun, Yoda's Battle Meditation is guaranteed and the AI will usually try and use Mind Tricks even when Tenacity is up, so it gets wasted. I run a very similar Old Ben team but with Yoda opposing teams with Daka have never been a threat to Old Ben getting off Mind Tricks. Honestly, Dooku's lighting stun on Old Ben or Yoda is a bigger deal then Daka. He goes before both of them. Maybe run Dooku and Daka and put those two on Old Ben duty to make sure he either gets stunned or ability blocked.
  • Options
    @Alexone

So I tried using Phasma as lead, and tried attacking QGJ first, still could not win.

The issue here is not Ben's Mind Trick, its the high dodge rate in AI battles, and the crazy turn-meter manipulation.

Remember that everytime an enemy toon dodges, all of them get +10 turn meter.

The thing that makes this team so difficult, is Han. If he is taunting, and I hit him, then he grants turn meter to the team. If I attack him while he is taunting, and he dodges, the team still gets turn meter from Ben's leader ability.

I tried all these combinations, could not win:
    QGJ(L), Yoda, Leia, RG, GS
    QGJ(L), Yoda, RG, Daka, GS
    Phasma(L), Yoda, Daka, GS, RG
    Phasma(L), Yoda, Daka, Leia, RG
    and more...
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Did you try Yoda as leader by chance? If you pop BM to start, between Han, Old Ben, and if their QGJ has his Omega in the basic attack, your Jedi could get some crazy TM for the first 2 turns. It's a tough team for sure. My squad often finishes 1 to 3 and only drops to about 9 over night. Three days ago I went from 1 to 3 overnight and last night I only went from 1 to 2. It's a tough squad. Many of the teams in my top-10 have ST Han as well, so it's kind of an equalizer.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    St han looks so good.
    20% turn meter reduction when he takes damage while taunting.
    Chance of TM reduction if he takes damage anytime
    25% chance he removes TM automatically each of his turns.

Each of these affects the entire opposing team. He's a wizard.

Add old Ben and u get TM FOR dodges, too. And with old Ben L plus block, Hans 3 turn taunt turns into a 3 turn taunt! (Please please humbling blow, don't miss!)

Ok cool. I am already farming st han. I think I will drop my other projects and start working on old Ben, lol.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    St han looks so good.
    20% turn meter reduction when he takes damage while taunting.
    Chance of TM reduction if he takes damage anytime
    25% chance he removes TM automatically each of his turns.

Each of these affects the entire team.

Add old Ben and u get TM FOR dodges, too.

Ok cool. I am already farming st han.

I think I will drop my other projects and start working on old Ben, lol.

Dude, it's the synergy between Han and Old Ben is really good; they might as well make Old Ben a Rebel.
  • Gavstar
    214 posts Member
    Options

Old Ben (L)
    QGJ
    Yoda
    GS
    ST Han

I go for Han first to try and stun or kill, but with Ben's leader ability,
    q

Use Dooku, stun QGJ first, that focus attack StHan before he taunts. Have dps toons like QGJ, Rey and GS.

Else use another fast blocker or TM with QGJ if you have him at the right ability level.
    I face this team all the time and it's painful. Especially if you rock with Dooku (which I do) and still win. May the RNG be with you.