Advice For A TEAM

MacThizz
89 posts Member
This is in reference to PVP arena battles. I have been playing since December (FTP). I usually manage to get into top 50 in arena with some days using and refresh and getting as far as top 20. My squad I use for offense consists of Phasma 7*G8 (L), QGJ 6*G8, Daka 6*G9, Kylo Ren 7*G9, and Ventress 7*G8 On defense I switch leader to Old Ben 6*G9 and replace Ventress with Phasma. I notice that I do not lose as many spots with Old Ben as L cause he makes you miss like crazy. I was just wondering how I can make my defense stronger? I am farming rey now but only have her at 4*G6. And I'm also working on my STHan which sits at 5*G7. Am I going in the wrong direction here and what character should I be progressing if I am. Thank you Forum.

Replies

• Options
    Whenever I see QGJ on a team and he's not a leader, I usually will battle that team. His speed boost is a huge benefit. Yes Bens evasion is nice but I haven't had any issues taking out an old Ben team. I usually like to throw in two or more toons that you are drawn to first: like Daka with Rey or Ewok elder (just examples). Kinda makes your opponent think about their battle plan and maybe misstep
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RG is good and tanky. With old Bens ability block, RG can become difficult to manage.

St han and rey is the now, though. I would just keep going. If you can think beyond that next step kudos. Maybe jawa engineer droid team?
  • Kilton
    49 posts Member
    Options
    The best defense is not making yourself stick out. In the top 50, any team can pretty much beat the other. I don't like Dooku as lead, but I run him just because everyone else on my server does. Make the other person preferr to fight someone else.
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    That is a fantastic defense -- bore your opponent on to another foe.
  • Hambone
    79 posts Member
    Options
    First and foremost, defense is about making yourself look like more trouble than whoever is next to you. If you get picked on, anyone half-competent (which should include anyone in the top 50 on a December server) will beat the AI running your defense. Anyone, pretty much 100% of the time.

First thoughts, if you've been at it since December, why is there anyone less than 7* in your principal Arena team? Were it me, that's a giant "kick me" sign and I'd pick you to beat on every time. (For reference, I've been at it since January, 100% FTP, and have 13-14(?) 7*s. Have both RG and Daka at 6 and grooming them to take a spot in the Arena team, but wouldn't even consider it before they hit 7. I'm usually top-10, but may fall up to 20 on any given day.) Again, when it comes to defense, it's not about the competence of your toons. The AI will lose, almost no matter what. Rather, it's about looking "hard" enough that The Enemy picks someone else.

Second, looking "hard" is often about posing questions that are difficult to answer. You want (at least) two heavy DPS. On a "soft" team, they will be the first targets for killing. Trick then, is to put in some other target that either demands or takes target priority. Daka is great for this. I never risk her "do-over" button, and kill her first. She is a complication, because meantime the heavy DPS have a chance to dig into my soft underbelly. Then there are tanks. I love Han, and use him on offense pretty much always. RG, however, is a beast on defense -- for the simple reason that it pulls target priority off of the heavy DPS that you'r trying to kill. Another complication / difficult question: how do you kill the DPS around or through RG? Finally, you've got control / wild card utility players. Dooku is great for this: potential dodge anarchy as leader, potential double-stun, and the ability to simply shut down Jedi. For me, target priority on this team would be Daka, work around RG to control QGJ's dispel (in order to get and keep Han up), and then DPS, meanwhile hoping the Enemy Dooku doesn't land a determinative stun at a clutch moment (or sometimes, once Han is up and QGJ dead, taunt Dooku into Han and use him as a power plant). If Yoda is there, might take him before DPS. If Rey or Leia are there (rather than 86/GS for DPS), might move them up in priority. But, I hope, you get the idea. This sort of team poses multiple layers of very difficult questions to answer by interposing higher-priority targets between me and their DPS. I can and have reliably come up with answers and won -- but it's not 100%. If given other options, I will pick other options.

THAT's how you win on defense.