Opposing Team, Citing "Desparity", Asks Ref to Nerf the 49ers by Benching Montana & Rice

Prev1
Can you imagine this? The coach and players of that opposing team would get their butts booed off the field.

Replies

• Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Wut? Are you referring to precrafting?
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Those guys have been benched for years.
  • Options
    Baldo wrote: »

That's not the point.
  • Options
    Yudoka wrote: »
    Wut? Are you referring to precrafting?

Not precrafting. Look closer at the opposing team's request. Very relevant to a hotly contested issue on these forums.
  • Pikot
    65 posts Member
    Options
    I don't understand what this topic is about....
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

That's not the point.

Which complaints are you trying to draw a parallel to? If it's nerf Dooku, he just makes the game boring since there's no counter to him and he's everywhere. If you're referring to precrafting and current poor accessibility to the new gear, then that would be more like today's NFL team playing one from the 40's in their cute leather helmets.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options
    Notice the verb in the opposing team's request
  • Options
    Nothing to do with precrafting.

As for Dooku, EA could easily improve or introduce a character or strength/agility/intelligence improvement that could counter Dooku instead of ruining him.
  • Options

That's not the point.

Which complaints are you trying to draw a parallel to? If it's nerf Dooku, he just makes the game boring since there's no counter to him and he's everywhere. If you're referring to precrafting and current poor accessibility to the new gear, then that would be more like today's NFL team playing one from the 40's in their cute leather helmets.

What do you mean there's no counter to Dooku? Stun him! He's become irrelevant mainly with the rise of tanks. There's only one bro still running a Dooku led team in my shards top 10. Only one other in the top 20. Idk what other shards are like but he seems to be falling out of favor quick.
  • Mojavelandbaron
    977 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to hate Dooku, but instead of whining and belly aching about him, I built my own Dooku and learned strategies to defeat him when he's on the opposing team.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with precrafting.

As for Dooku, EA could easily improve or introduce a character or strength/agility/intelligence improvement that could counter Dooku instead of ruining him.

So rather than toning him down, you'd rather see a character specifically created to counter him so that you then have teams that are already 2/5ths pre-filled?

Dooku just makes arena boring since he's on most teams. And frustrating when you miss multiple attacks in a row. I've missed 10 attacks in a row once. Sure, that's really bad RNG, but it's also really frustrating to make zero gains and having no control over it at all. No amount of "good play" would've prevented that.
  • Options
    Why not more characters with an improved skillset to balance things out rather than bringing what someone else has DOWN into the mud?
  • Eebers
    89 posts Member
    Options
    I LOVE seeing Dooku on opposing teams. He means absolutely nothing to this game anymore. Dodge is only a mere annoyance now, no longer decides battles. And his counter only feeds my STH and I get twice the turns.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Because things to counter things is overall less efficient than fixing of the issue. I've been playing card games and other games for over 2 decades and mechanics created to counter other mechanics does not work in the end. Eventually the actual problem needs to be dealt with directly.

If this game had more customization where you could gear your characters for various effects, that would be one thing. But introducing a counter character means your forcing people to give up 1 of their 5 slots to deal with a problem.

And something that's out of balance makes the game more stale as the problem item becomes too far used. So you then either have the problem or the counter to the problem and little else in between.

For the best game, most of the character should be balanced and viable. Dooku currently prevents that.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    This thread is completely true. It's the reason why in sports they don't give the best draft picks to the worst teams, or use salary caps. Because they are not at all interested in balance.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    "For the best game, most of the character should be balanced and viable. Dooku currently prevents that."

I disagree. While he can be a challenge (which is supposed to exist in a game) to beat, I'm not having the problem you're describing. Perhaps there would be more viable characters against Dooku if EA hadn't nerfed them in the first place as well.

• Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    "For the best game, most of the character should be balanced and viable. Dooku currently prevents that."

I disagree. While he can be a challenge (which is supposed to exist in a game) to beat, I'm not having the problem you're describing. Perhaps there would be more viable characters against Dooku if EA hadn't nerfed them in the first place as well.

No. Dodge/miss/evade is an all or nothing thing. It's not a buff or reduction to damage like crit, damage, and defense bonuses. You either land that hit or you completely wif. When it happens as part of regular RNG, that can be lived with. But Dooku adds a fairly substantial boost to this which can result in complete non-games when you miss over and over. It seems like a good idea on paper, but a poor one in practice. Dooku is not healthy for the game. You either have frustrating players or everyone is running him, creating a boring and repetitive meta. Add characters like Sid to the mix, and you're killing a whole subset of characters like the Jedi. Combination of two characters should not greatly weekend a dozen.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    Looks at any FPS, fighter, or MOBA. Do they introduce new characters when existing ones are an issue or do they rework existing ones? Counters don't work long term.
  • Options
    I actually haven't had problems hitting Dooku. His dodge doesn't seem any more obsessive than other toons. I've actually found Luminara to be really annoying in that area lately. Of course, Sidious is no picnic to try to hit if you try to use Jedi against him, but I've never noticed excessive dodge/evade fighting against Dooku.
  • Options
    I simply limit the number of Jedi on my team if I'm facing Sidious.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    I actually haven't had problems hitting Dooku. His dodge doesn't seem any more obsessive than other toons. I've actually found Luminara to be really annoying in that area lately. Of course, Sidious is no picnic to try to hit if you try to use Jedi against him, but I've never noticed excessive dodge/evade fighting against Dooku.

You've been luck then. Dooku offers higher dodge rate than Lumi.

Like I said, the frustraigtion is in the all or nothing aspect. Just about ever other ability either lessens or increases the effect of whatever you're doing. When players are seeing zero progress, it becomes an issue.

• RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    Eebers wrote: »
    I LOVE seeing Dooku on opposing teams. He means absolutely nothing to this game anymore. Dodge is only a mere annoyance now, no longer decides battles. And his counter only feeds my STH and I get twice the turns.
    This and when your tank taunts and you can hit away on Dook and he is forced to attack the tank, it's like no one knows how to play a strategy anymore just whine for a nerf

• BentWookiee
    4819 posts Member
    Options
    Wow.. How long has it been since you followed the NFL? :|
  • Options
    An ability could be added that includes in the description: "overcomes evasion" much like others that "ignores armor".
  • Mojavelandbaron
    977 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm a fan of the Niners of yesterday. That team we have now: The Santa Clara Miners, the Mt View Nuggets, or whatever they've become? I don't know what that is, but they don't deserve to have "SF" on those helmets.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    This thread is completely true. It's the reason why in sports they don't give the best draft picks to the worst teams, or use salary caps. Because they are not at all interested in balance.

Actually not all sports are the best pick to worst team. NHL uses a lotto system. Sabres were the worst team two years in a row, they did not get first pick, though I'm extremely happy with Sammy and Eichel so all good.

With contract restructures and stuff it is easy to move around the cap.

I think the OP's point is stop whining for nerfs because you can't beat a team, especially if they have better geared characters. I agree 110% with this point. I'm sorry my gear 10 Omega Rey destroys you. I spent money and time farming to get that and to hit 80. I'm sorry your entire team is stunned because of Dakas Omega, I did the max Omega dailies to get that. Don't cry nerf because you put in less than another, and certainly don't call nerf because you can't figure out how to beat a team. Every team is beatable. You just may not have the strat, or the tools to do so yet, does not mean that a nerf is needed, only means you need to develop YOUR team more and develop YOUR strategy more.

I'm sorry but it may be my age here but this is a problem in and out of game. Everyone thinks they are entitled to succeed and win. Guess what? You are not. Those who succeed and win often put in a ton of blood sweat and tears to get there. Develop your charaters, change strat. Also ask for advice/input INSTEAD of for a nerf. Many here are willing to help. I know I am, I know others like @Qeltar are very free with advice. Ask for help in getting better, not to make others worse.

Cheers as I get of my soapbox.
  • Options

LOL I'm guessing a few decades,lol.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    RU486 wrote: »
    This and when your tank taunts and you can hit away on Dook and he is forced to attack the tank, it's like no one knows how to play a strategy anymore just whine for a nerf

@RU486

Leader abilities continue after they die.
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    RU486 wrote: »

@RU486

Leader abilities continue after they die.
    Yeah I know, he's not going to get the 4-5(or 8-10 when they exaggerate)straight hits in that all the noobs cry about

• dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    american hand egg sport smh