Think the gear nightmare is bad now? Just wait. :)

Prev1
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited May 2016
There are items we will need in the future that use the current "unobtanium" items as components. Yes, that's right. Those items that we can only farm at a rate of one per month and that we need 50 of? They are also going to be consumed as pieces of higher level gear.

The "best" one I've found so far? Of course, it's a furnace, this time the Mark 6. It requires:
- A complete Mark 5 droid caller. Yep, kiss one of those goodbye.
- 50 of those neurobinoculars we've been farming in the tank challenge (this is how I found it).
- 20 MORE of the same Mk 10 taggeco holo salvage that we are all trying to get for the Mark 5 furnace.

So basically, this one item requires 70 of the current unobtanium salvage, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Yes, good times are ahead.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    EA taking the whale hunt to a whole new level.
    "SWGoH: A modern tale inspired by Moby ****"

What a time to be alive.

• Options
    Haha I can't wait XD

Although tbh I'm not so worried about this anymore. I suspect they're making new content which will provide more ways to get unobtainable gear. Ships, different raids, new events could all be on the horizon. Personally I'm looking forward to a Tusken-exclusive pod-racing challenge ^_^
  • Options
    Let's look at the positive side. Maybe they are doing it to give everyone a slight chance to catch up. Massive spenders will always be ahead, but the unobtainable pieces bridges the gap slightly between f2p, small spenders and moderate spenders. Imo
  • Options
    I think it has been their goal from the beginning to deter us from continuing to max out one team of toons. Unfortunately this exacerbates the precrafting issue.

Chondrosarcoma- Chondro3150#0907
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Fun times ahead of us!
  • Options
    If it was straight up farming that would be be thing. But raid gear rewards are so random.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I agree that they will add new ways to get gear. But I think the gear grinding nightmare is here to stay. They have basically admitted that they did it because they had no other way to slow us down.
    Higher-tier purple items also require 80 salvage rather than 50. What's said is that I was glad it was "only" 80 and not 100.
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    Options
    tbh I won't be around by that point. the grind to catch up to precrafters or P2W that buy the gear is trying my patience
  • Reddplague
    766 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I agree that they will add new ways to get gear. But I think the gear grinding nightmare is here to stay. They have basically admitted that they did it because they had no other way to slow us down.
    Higher-tier purple items also require 80 salvage rather than 50. What's said is that I was glad it was "only" 80 and not 100.

Sorry this is poor game design nothing else. When your only option as a developer is to create obstacles for players to give yourself more development time is ridiculous.

Maybe they should have introduced gears and abilities in later updates rather than all at first launch. This would have giving ppl time to explore the characters and build better teams. Then, in a later update introduce gear I - III etc... This would have given them the time they needed.
  • Options
    I kinda figured this would be the case. I'm still trying to decide if it's better to save for 25 salvage parts or 5 at a time. It appears that there is no cost difference.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • MrJx3
    257 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd mind it as long as it will be a lot easier to get gear, fixing the reward system and the shop prices.
  • CrapBag
    41 posts Member
    Options
    lunarwolf wrote: »
    tbh I won't be around by that point. the grind to catch up to precrafters or P2W that buy the gear is trying my patience

Right there with ya
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    Sorry this is poor game design nothing else. When your only option as a developer is to create obstacles for players to give yourself more development time is ridiculous.

Nearly all games are like this. Players can blow through content in a fraction of the time it takes to create it. The only way this doesn't happen is if the content itself is insanely difficult -- imagine a T6 where the bosses have double the health they do now -- and then people complain about that as well.
    The real screwup was that they made it too easy to star up and level up characters. Then they tied their hands with the (incredibly bad) shard shop, ensuring they could never add more stars to the game. All that left them was to make a gear grind.
    Of course they could have handled it better anyway. And I'm sure new methods to obtain gear are coming. But essentially, we are always going to have the gear issue to deal with.
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »

Nearly all games are like this. Players can blow through content in a fraction of the time it takes to create it. The only way this doesn't happen is if the content itself is insanely difficult -- imagine a T6 where the bosses have double the health they do now -- and then people complain about that as well.
    The real screwup was that they made it too easy to star up and level up characters. Then they tied their hands with the (incredibly bad) shard shop, ensuring they could never add more stars to the game. All that left them was to make a gear grind.
    Of course they could have handled it better anyway. And I'm sure new methods to obtain gear are coming. But essentially, we are always going to have the gear issue to deal with.

+1
  • InternetSwag
    2658 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lunarwolf wrote: »

I agree with this. I'll probably stick around for 2-3 months before I'm burnt out if that happens.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    To give you an idea of how insanely easy starring up characters are in this game...
    In a previous collection-type game I played, well, imagine that to get a 4* you had to take two 3* and combine them. One was lost forever, and that gave you a chance at promoting the other to 4*. Same at each level, with a decreasing chance of success each time. Want a 7*? 2% chance you get it, 98% chance you just threw away a 6*. That's how some other games work. (To be fair this game didn't have gear that would be lost. Regardless, it was painful.)
    This game shards are plentiful and leveling up only costs credits. We are paying now because the initial design made the game too easy.
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    Options
    @Qeltar you are telling me that with CG/EA's history of poor decisions they would never add an 8th star? Hah i say they would and the mentality would be something like "well we made them convert all there extra shards so now they will spend more to get chars to 8, since we forced them to concert all there extra shads.... Profit".... Just saying i wouldn't put it past them given there history
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The executive producer has flatly, explicitly said they will never do this.
    Going back on that promise would be one of the few things that actually could destroy this game. There are whales who literally have thousands of dollars of shards converted to useless shard shop currency. Remember, they decided to give us no choice in the matter.
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Okay I'll give you this one..... But I would be lying if i didn't say a small part of me still fears.......
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    There are no guarantees in life. But while I have not approved of some of the moves made in this game, they have never done anything IMO that would warrant fear about this sort of blatant deception. I take John at his word on this one.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    what is the purpose of this post ?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Options
    There are no guarantees in life. But while I have not approved of some of the moves made in this game, they have never done anything IMO that would warrant fear about this sort of blatant deception. I take John at his word on this one.

Instead of an 8* needing shards though they could easily introduce an 8th * using something else that is only obtainable somewhere else.... Jedi Master beads or something else... always options for progression.

From a business perspective this game has made a ton of money and thus mission accomplished no matter what they do from here forward.
  • Options
    I'm not one to say go to Apple or Google for refunds but if they did ever add an eighth star go for that refund. Or better yet hire a lawyer and form a class action lawsuit. Plenty of documentation on the forums and reddit saying it would never happen.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

To complain. He does that a lot.
  • Options
    These kind of games never have an end. Call it unobtainable gear, or however you want to call it, the goal is to make the top 0.5% spend certain amount, the next 5% another, etc. pricing is all optimized for that. Since the gap of F2P and paid can't grow larger, and is in constant flux (by design and intent), then what appears so hard now will somehow be made easier. Wh n the whales max out they need a way to allow the masses to catch up. This is usually introducing new (slower progressions path). The reaction is whales have a good reason to spend, and their progress at this new stage is slower that the F2P that are on a faster progression part.

The other aspect they seek is to create a strong community of friends where your friends are here, and you can't quit without missing them, and likewise you may miss the entire community itself.

The other thing they get right is providing means to accelerate things. GOH and most games take an exponential approach. They charge you for Velocity of Progress at the top ranks, but create bundles etc. at non competitive tiers to allow quick catch up for the laggards (very important).

One important aspect of these games like SWGOH is to produce a game that requires your constant attention, and being logged in constantly having to check it. In some games this is accomplished with a lot of times perks, some others use benefits to be logged in (fast progression, bonus defense is a huge one, etc). Some others time so many things at specific times that require your constant international. Most use all mechanisms.

All this long post is that I wouldn't worry that much about anything unobtainable. Creating imbalances is part of the nature of this model. Fixing them will always happen and require either money or time or both. Long grinding paths is needed to slow down whales and harvest them, and allowing the Dolphin (and F2P) crowd to reduce the gap.

How you know this is so? A solid F2P can be stepping on the tails of a lazy whale many times during the game evolution.

Why do you think there are cap lifts? They are critical in allowing F2P to catch when the makes are trying to find a better way to keep the whale gap in control while allowing them to perceive a continuous advantage (for which they need a continuous flow of $$).

The gear requirements is not to going to affect any F2P long term (i.e. Gap will grow and shrink) , unless CG wants to hurt their bottom line.

These games are a system with different backgrounds and names but all prevalent in most everyone of these games.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    leef wrote: »

To complain. He does that a lot.

Guilty as charged, but that's actually not the point of this post. I'm sure if you try harder you can figure it out.
  • fudgra
    982 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Waiting wouldn't be any issue at all if it wasn't for precrafting that put a certain amount of players on another level.

Now as the rest of us are struggling to get droid callers etc. to get to gear 9, they're doing the same thing to progress to the next plateau.

There will always be people ahead of those who didn't/couldn't/were completely unaware of the precraft disaster and EA is making no attempt to bridge that gap.

It really makes me wonder why I'm still playing this. The frustration has been outweighing the fun x10.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They will probably add another star along with episode VIII and one more with episode IX