Omega Fives is not broken. He is finally fixed.

Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited May 2016
I've been here since launch, and since launch there have been Fives fans. Probably driven by their love for him in the lore and his beefy stats and counterattack, every few days someone would sing his praises in the OF, calling him a "monster".

And then I, and a few others, would reply with something like the following: "He is annoying, but not dangerous. Just leave him for the end, then wipe him out."

And that's exactly what we would do.

Now we can't.

Tauntless tanks have always had major problems in the game, because it is difficult to make them threatening when you can't force the other team to attack them. Fives, Mace, Finn, Boba and even Old Ben all fall into this category. You have to give them something to allow them to draw aggro. Otherwise they aren't really tanks -- they are just meatbags.

CG has had difficulty with this balancing act. Finn is terrible and even worse with his AI. Mace's revamp was a failure (though just a couple of small changes would fix him.) Old Ben is not a real tank either, but he has other assets that make this less of an issue.

Fives, however, is a success. He is no longer merely annoying -- he is dangerous. You can leave him until the end if you want, but unless you are prepared to deal with him at that end, you will lose. As it should be.

So yes, Fives is going to 1v3 and 1v4 some improperly-constructed / unlucky / half-dead teams. As it should be. Remember that if you leave him for the end that means that basically you've been fighting a 5v4 until that point. But the fight is 5v5. You have to beat everyone. Nowhere is it written that once you kill 4, the last kill is automatic.

There are counters to Fives. Stun/control/TM/taunts are effective. Mass damage is effective. His slows can be cleansed. Yoda can handle him effectively for a long time. There are many options. (Imagine a Fives pecking away at a beefy taunting ST Han for example.)

Control teams (which I have long advocated) are the best. I just finished an arena match where an omega Fives died without getting a single attack.

He is not invincible. He is just usually not played properly.

I am not one of those players who speaks out against every nerf. There are cases where a character is clearly outclassing all competition and needs adjustment. Fives doesn't. People just need to get better at playing against him. And also to remember that soon all characters will have more protection and more offense and more omega abilities. He's a bit ahead of the pack right now.

ETA: For the record, I have never used Fives in PvP. But I do fight him a lot, lol.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    Too right. I loved using him, very fun character, but I was dropping in arena...and he was the issue. He's still easy to work around.
  • Options
    Even more so with changes to counter(assist,taunt) he is like average to me and not certainly op. I agree that he is currently only properly built non-taunting tank, there should be a reason behind tank label and he fits in nicely unlike boba or jkg etc...
  • Irrlicht
    471 posts Member
    Options
    +1 to OP. Fives just need wise counter-play and you should be ready with it. Moreover, there are so many effective counter-plays against him.
    1) Stun. He is stunned extremely easily. RG annihilates him, just don't wait before your RG falls below 50%. Daka and other stunners also rocks against him.
    2) Stealth. Leia is a Fives killer. She is not a f2p, but she is not the only one. Ewoks, Jawas, NS laso have stealth characters with-in their synergy.
    3) Foresight. Yoda and Rey can pretty successfully hit him without being punished for their insolence.
    4) Tenacity up. No speed down, no double attacks.
    5) Calling for assist. No counter for assisting characters.
    6) Offence down. Reducing his damage from counter.
    7) Powerful nukes. The less attacks you use, the less counter-damage you get.
    8) Counter-attackers. His double attack is followed by double-counter usually.
    5-8 are a bit less effective ways but also possible. Better to use them in combination with one of other mentioned.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wish the game actually had a bruiser tag, they are spread across all three existing tags but don't really belong in any of them. It's actually the only change I would make to Fives. Tag him correctly. By itself having a huge hp pool does not a tank make. Tanks actively protect other characters, bruisers (sometimes called off-tanks) are durable but don't protect characters in a direct way like a forced taunt or damage mitigation ability, they protect them by drawing enemy attacks due to being a threat in their own right.

Fives is a solid character, and one of the few bruisers that can actually fill their roll. Deal with a bruiser or be punished. Bruisers are highly disruptive and/or put out good damage over time (not huge burst) and demand that they are addressed or planned around in some way even though they don't generally have hard crowd control effects. Or that's how they are supposed to work, in SW:GoH most of them just sit there.

CG needs to work on making other bruisers relevant, not undoing one of the few successes. For the record, I consider these characters bruisers in addition to or instead of their stated tag:

Aayla Secura
    Captain Phasma
    CT-5555
    Darth Vader
    Finn
    Jedi Knight Anakin
    Kylo Ren
    Mace Windu
    Nightsister Initiate
    Savage Oppress
    Snowtrooper
    Teebo
    Tusken Raider

Boba Fett isnt a tank or a bruiser at the moment, his kit is just that bad.

Now think of how many of these characters actually succeed at making you deal them at some point before the end of the match, or actually cause you any difficulty at all for ignoring them entirely. Bruisers really need some buff/rework love.
    Post edited by medetec on
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    Agreee. I have a gear 9 Omega Fives, and I still don't use him in arena.
    1 stun and he's toast, and if the enemy teams has Han, he's just giving them free TM.

He's extremely good in GW though. Never dies and hits quite hard, so he's on my main roster.
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »
    I wish the game actually had a bruiser tag, they are spread across all three existing tags but don't really belong in any of them. It's actually the only change I would make to Fives. Tag him correctly. By itself having a huge hp pool does not a tank make. Tanks actively protect other characters, bruisers (sometimes called off-tanks) are durable but don't protect characters in a direct way like a forced taunt or damage mitigation ability, they protect them by drawing enemy attacks due to being a threat in their own right.

Fives is a solid character, and one of the few bruisers that can actually fill their roll. Deal with a bruiser or be punished. Bruisers are highly disruptive and/or put out good damage over time (not huge burst) and demand that they are addressed or planned around in some way even though they don't generally have hard crowd control effects. Or that's how they are supposed to work, in SW:GoH most of them just sit there.

CG needs to work on making other bruisers relevant, not undoing one of the few successes. For the record, I consider these characters bruisers in addition to or instead of their stated tag:

Aayla Secura
    Captain Phasma
    CT-5555
    Darth Vader
    Finn
    Jedi Knight Anakin
    Kylo Ren
    Mace Windu
    Nightsister Initiate
    Savage Oppress
    Snowtrooper
    Teebo
    Tusken Raider

Boba Fett isnt a tank or a bruiser at the moment, his kit is just that bad.

Now think of how many of these characters actually succeed at making you deal them at some point before the end of the match, or actually cause you any difficulty at all for ignoring them entirely. Bruisers really need some buff/rework love.

Phasma and Teebo are currently key to raids. Please leave them the hell alone, and I mean than nicely.

5s is great.
    Raider is a decent raider.

Vader and AS I agree.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    @OzwaldEMandius

Oh there's nothing wrong with Phasma and Teemo. That's not a list of characters that need changes, it's a list of all the characters I consider to be bruisers. Some of them are perfectly fine, some of them aren't.

The only thing I would change about Teebo and Phasma is adding a bruiser tag (replacing the tank tag in Teebo's case).
  • Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    Sikho wrote: »
    Agreee. I have a gear 9 Omega Fives, and I still don't use him in arena.
    1 stun and he's toast, and if the enemy teams has Han, he's just giving them free TM.

He's extremely good in GW though. Never dies and hits quite hard, so he's on my main roster.

So you are calling for QGJ nerfs (LOL), yet one stun against Fives and he is 'toast'? Are you talking 4v1 against him or...? Do you have him at 5 star gear 8? Oh my...Fives may be fixed and where he needs to be, but he is also the meta. That doesn't mean anything necessarily, just saying.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    Fives is great now! I agree completely, if he is left alone for the last with full protection, you deserve to lose 3v1. As you stated, there are many counters to Fives. I like to attack him with Leia under stealth since he won't counter to get rid of his protection bar or stun him with RG.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    I've got him maxed out and Omega'd and I think he is too good :) If they hadn't nerfed counters (protecting invis toons, only returning ONE shot etc) he would absolutely be way over the top. As it stands, he is top tier for sure... if not OP, close to it :)

It's not rocket surgery.