Cad plus GW question...

I'm managing pretty much all of the challenges at the top tier although Cad and Savage both still bust me 99% of the time. What do I need to do?

Also my son and I have been trying our hardest to score just one complete march through the GW. We came within the last 4 battles a few times and lately we seem to be getting through only about half way. My son tends to run through from our weakest characters who are level 53 with gear lvl5/6 abilities lvl4, then works his way up to our top toons. What can we try to turn our luck around?

My top 13 pretty much looks like this:
Luminara 7* 65 gear lvl8 abilities lvl5
Consular 6* 65 gear lvl8 abilities lvl5
Talia 4* 65 gear lvl8 abilities lvl5
Darth Sid 65 5* gear lvl7 abilities lvl5
Eeth 6* 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
Plo 5* 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
Clone Sgt 3* 65 gear lvl8 abilities lvl4
Ventress 4* 66 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
IG-86 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
Night Sis In 4* 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
Ima-Gun 4* 65 gear lvl 7 abilities lvl4
Royal Guard 4* 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4
Poggle 4* 53 gear lvl7 abilities lvl4

Replies

• Options
    You have no damage dealers/attackers. The best in the business for this is rey. Another fantastic option is Geonosian soldier not only because he hits like a truck, but is also very easily farmable. You also want QGJ for top end arena and GW because of his incredibly reliable dispel and offence up. He is also a very good damage dealer, and helps a lot in the healer/support (savage) challenge.
    So who to farm...
    GW store: phasma to 7*, then Poggle or ig 86 depending on who you feel you would prefer first.
    Arena store: STHan all the way to 7*. Although Sid may seem alright now, he drops off hugely by level 70 and becomes average.
    Cantina battles: GS (Geonosian soldier). A very fast and strong attacker who has a good amount of health as well and is very easy to farm. After that, farm either old Ben or Dooku from cantina depending on which you would prefer to be your squad's leader.
    Cantina shipments: QGJ to 7*, then Daka to 7*. Go for fives after those two.
    Hard nodes: rey and RG. There you have the best attacker in the game and arguably the best tank. I still think STHan has the edge.
    From the guild store, buy rey shards only. Once she's 7* in a few months, save up for pieces of otherwise unobtainable gear.
  • Options
    Cheers. 5's is currently 14 on my team and QGJ is 16th. Dooku is on his way up and about mid field out of my 48 not far behind the Gen Soldier. So I have some of that in the works at the moment.

I'll show this to the lad in the morning and we'll work towards a solution. I have to admit I've neglected QGJ out of all of my Jedi as he has been one of the least impressive so far so he's still only 4* 53 and gear lvl7. We are working on getting Daka at the moment. Rey and Han are a ways off yet.
  • Options
    What characters would class as "taking advantage of susceptibility"?
  • Options
    Susceptibility occurs when Savage is afflicted with a negative status effect of any sort, which means you'll want to include as many character that can do that as possible. If Savage has a negative status effect, he automatically takes around 16,000 damage for every time he's hit. You definitely want at least one healer in, one dps-ish character for the droids, and lots of status effects.

I would Talia (L), Consular, Asajj, Eeth, and whoever else you want or can put in as your last member.

Get through the first two phases however you want, trying to avoid putting your heals on cool down. When you get to phase three, smash the droids as quickly as possible (if Savage gets you to one health, they can pick off a character each with just one damage). Once you get cut down by his special, heal up and start applying the negative status effects—Talia's DOT, Asajj's basic stun, Eeth's special stun, etc. Only apply one at a time, as you don't get extra turns of susceptibility for multiple status effects at once.

Phasma will be a huge boon to you for this challenge, as she reliably causes speed down for multiple turns. Daka's stun is also hugely helpful.

Cad Bane is only really countered by Offense Down characters (Old Ben, IG-100, etc.) or highly tanky character with a lot of luck.

The previously mentioned characters are worth it; GS in cantina, QGJ and/or Daka in cantina shipments, STHan or Ackbar in arena (sid is kind of sad and pathetic now), Phasma and Poggle in GW.

As far as GW goes, it takes a while to get a solid team or two to run through the whole thing with. Right now I run Phasma (L), Luminara, GS, Old Ben, and Daka; I switch out the squishier guys (GS and Daka) with QGJ and Barriss, and I've got a few backup teams that I rarely have to touch.

A few things you might not know: you can retreat from a battle using a command in the settings menu that you access using the button on the top left of the screen. This makes it as though you never attempted the battle at all, meaning you can mess around with your strategy and the RNG if things go south. Also, keep in mind that you can send in a suicide squad to force your enemies to use their special attacks so that they'll be on coll down once you start the real battle.

Best of luck! May the wind be in your sails!
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    Like stated above with savage, dont bother with heals the first 2 rounds, take out his droids first and save your heal for after his stu-pid jump move, stuns are most effective IMO with my team he rarely moves.

Cad just burn him down with damage dealers, he is strong VS Jedi so if possible look elsewhere.

GW I think you need 3 teams, an A team, B team and a Hit squad team, hit squad is just damage dealers whos only job is taking down a player or 2 on one of those super hard teams and then bring in a main team to mop up the rest. Setting up your assist guy is also huge advantage like if you use QGJ and use his assist first you can pick you you want to help him , you do this by retreating and moving characters to the assist spot, that huge hit right away is golden. Just remember also if ANYTHING goes wrong during a match retreat out and try something else.
  • Options
    Cheers guys, there's quite a bit there for me to take in but we'll try it all out over the next week or two. I'll try to screen shot my collection at some stage and put up a thread for team suggestions based on what I have at the moment. In the mean while I will work on beefing up GS, QGJ and probably Phas.
  • Options
    One quick note with savage. Don't take out his droids, but damage both just enough so that one more attack will destroy them. Next time he goes nuke on you, kill one of the droids which will allow you to survive another nuke attack. And that one, kill the other droid to gain more health. Then kill him. That's the strategy I use.
  • Options
    As far as Savage goes, occasionally he's just going to bust you sometimes and that's that. Sometimes the droids don't go down and pick off a key hero, some days he just decides he's going to resist absolutely everything, or you get bad RNG on your debuffs.
    It gets easier as you level up, but I'm level 77 and still occasionally fail the Savage challenge, and it's frustrating as hell.
  • Options
    My top team in that challenge are mostly level 65 characters and it irritates the daylights out of me that I annihilate Savage in the second highest challenge and he usually destroys me in the top level. It especially busts my nuts that Poggle almost never gets his ability block to work on him. :P
  • PugVader
    438 posts Member
    Options
    I have several stunners on my team: Dooku, Ventress, Daka with JC and Talia in the Savage challenge. Works everytime.
  • Options
    Nice! I can do THAT! I don't have Dacka yet but RG is a machine in that regard if he's in the available units that is... I don't remember noiw. Oh well I can at least add the other two.
  • methoss1004
    148 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    for Savage I use:

Phasma [L] (double atk chance, TM gain & slow)
    Daka (heal, revive & stun) [can sub ventress]
    Dooku (stun & counter) [can sub Eeth]
    Talia (heal & DoT)
    Ewok Elder (heal, revive & TM gain) [Can sub JC, Barriss, Lumi]

round 1 & 2 just use basic attacks
    round 3 focus Savage only, stack as many debuffs as possible except dont use force lightning if hes already stunned.

This team has 3x heal, 2x revive, 4x debuff. I honestly dont have these characters very high and with much gear. As was stated before, the real damage comes when Savage is debuffed. Your toon may only hit for 300 dmg, but the bonus dmg from being debuffed is 16k+. lv 55 with VII gear and 3* is just fine. Basically look for heals and debuff toons. Maybe try Lumi [L], ventress (use basic for stun chance), eeth, talia and JC. Heal after Savage gets his hard hit in. Then go back to debuffing.

For Cad, just have your best dps focus him. If you can stick a slow on him he will probably only have 1 atk round. If you focus him the droids shouldnt have more than 1 atk round either. From your toons Id try Lumi [L], Sid, IG-86, RG and whoever is your next best dps. You will get a lot of use from Phasma, GS and QGJ. I would look into getting those char soonish. Also Daka is very, very useful. Since you dont currently have phasma, try to use one of your allies phasma or maybe Lumi (if they have a better one than you) and put Sid as your leader.

For GW, I used to run a main team and back up team with many fodder teams. Now I run:

Barriss [L] (high hp, heal, on hit heal, leader ability max hp and heal) [MUST HAVE]
    QGJ (assist, dispel, TM reduction, jedi synergy) [can sub GS, Yoda, IG-86]
    Fives (high hp, counter, slow, assist) [can sub GS, IG-86, Sid]
    RG (high hp, slow, stun, taunt)
    Lumi (heal, decent dps, ability block, high hp, jedi synergy) [can sub JC]

Now I dont even have to use a fodder team. The real star is Barriss as lead. At 68 her basic has 45% chance to heal ALL allies for 6% of her health (around 1k). At 70 her leader ability gives jedi 20% hp and heals then for 6% of her hp (around 1k) at the start of each of thier turns and half of those for non jedi (10% max hp and ~500hp heals). Finally, her heal can do upwards of 6k for toons near death. The downside is that it does reduces some toons hp, but not significantly. The heal has the bonus of bypassing healing immunity. I rarely have to heal with her latent heal every turn and on hit heals, but sometimes I need a boost and she and Lumi work well together. I target Sid and Kylo first because healing immunity hurts the latent healing. RG's slow and stun help minimize sid from sticking it and other high dps from killing anyone. RG's taunt keeps everyone alive until I can toss out a heal. Try to stun counter char before attacking. Of course start just using basic attacks with only 1-2 toons left to kill to ensure counters are reset for next battle.

General advise: look into getting GS, Phasma, QGJ, Barriss and Daka. They will be very useful for completing dailys as well as arena and raids. If you do raids, save your coins for rey shards. Also work on getting the ability levels up on your dps, healers and get RG's force pike to 80% stun.
  • Options
    I have Phasma just not as developed as some...

DPS?

As for further teams advice here are screen shots of my 'Army List' as of today:
    Screenshot_2016-05-10-17-25-45_zps6lm4c5f3.png

Screenshot_2016-05-10-17-25-57_zpsetd24fjj.png

Screenshot_2016-05-10-17-26-05_zpsthax3uin.png

Screenshot_2016-05-10-17-26-15_zps4qdypwmc.png

• Options
    dps = damage per second. also it would benefit you to concentrate on a few toons right now and build them up strong instead of having trying to keep them all even. After 53 it takes a lot more credits to level, a lot more gear to collect and a lot more purple ability pieces to strengthen. I have all of mine to level 3 ability but I dont use a purple unless its a very useful toon. same with gear. i only gear something low if i have a ton of that equipment. after a while you can come back and work on some of the other ones when you have lots to spare.

i looks like you could try the team I run against savage, but you need barriss to make GW easier. in the mean time work on JC and Lumi to buff thier healing and put in a fodder team if you face a really tough team. and probably win against Cad if you get a powerful ally to help you. id go with Lumi, GS, QGJ, Phasma [L] and maybe FOTP (if you get them to gear VII for protection).
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    dps = damage per second.

This is a turn based game. Talking about DPS makes little sense. Good feedback, though, apart from thi.

• Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    I can auto the savage challenge (selecting the droids of course) you should always try to kill 1 first, due to thier speed if savage leaps first and the droids are alive you will lose 1 or 2 chars. I use a team based on extra attacks since all your damage comes from succeptibility. Phasma lead for bonus and most importantly if you open with her barrage (#3) you can speed down the droids and stop them from killing you after he leaps. I use tie pilot (double tap and extra chance on phasma leader) Rex if you got him for his %dmg move and turn reduce. Qui gon for extra attack and dmg on droids. And Aayla extra attack and stun on crit. Cad bane works well too. Funniest thing qui gon uses assist, calls in Bane who double taps, Aayla attacks from phasmas lead, she calls in assist from tie pilot who double taps, half hp on savage in 1 ability
  • methoss1004
    148 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    dps = damage per second.

This is a turn based game. Talking about DPS makes little sense. Good feedback, though, apart from thi.

true there is no actual damage per *second* since its turn based, but it is a generally understood term to mean your best damage dealer. Honestly I have seen others use it in various threads on here and since there is no short had for 'best damage dealer' or 'hardest hitting character' I used DPS. Its cheating a little, but I think generally understood what is meant. You are completely right about it though. Cheers.

The 'attack the droids first' strategy can work. I just dont like it. If you are busy killing droids vs Savage you are missing turns to hit him while he is debuffed which significantly lengthens fight, which makes it much more dangerous. Also when a droid dies it heals your team. So saving a droid to heal your team can actually help. Also, unlike LS and DS missions, you dont get anything extra for having all chars alive when you win. With my strat (focusing Savage), the droids hit me 1-2x. they generally get slowed by phasma and often one or both will get stunned by daka or dooku. they pose no threat outside of when you get hit by Savage's main attack and they die when he does. With my strat he only gets to attack less than 50% of the time and generally dooku will immediatly kill him with counter. I have only gotten unlucky and he resisted all of my debuffs one time since I started fighting him. I simply played again and won as normal. I probably only use any heal 10-20% of the fights. hes just dead or one hit from being dead by the time he hits me once, 80% of the time.

The 'attack the droids first' strategy can work against Cad too. Again, I dont like it. Mainly the same problem. the droids have a lot of hp and the time and abilities spent killing them takes away from Cad. this gives him time to hit and hit hard. the droids and Cad are slow, so simply zerging Cad works and takes the least time. Ive literally never lost with this strat since the time i fought him and actually just auto the fight now, with the exception of targeting him when turn 3 comes up. I have never healed on this fight.

if someone that uses 'attack the droids first' wants to explain the merits of that Im curious.
    Post edited by methoss1004 on
  • Options
    I find that I can't kill the droids quickly enough, so I don't really like that tactic at the top level. I can auto both Cad and Savage at the second hardest level and never lose and I don't mind losing battles from time to time otherwise there is no challenge or fun to it but I want to at least pull a win one in three times consistently so even if I do the challenge 15 times in an afternoon I at least walk out with my max benefit.

I am also trying to work out how to beat him using my existing characters (I leveled Talia up one star this morning) and he resisted all of my debuffs in at least two battles yesterday. I won twice at the top level but then got my butt handed to me over another 4 or 5 attempts.

It seems like the first battle or two that I do for the day I get a lighter run but as you progress through the 5 chances to do the challenge the game seems to play dirty and makes each attempt more difficult.
  • Options
    Just thinking about it too... it's a shame you can't sort your characters by damage the way you can on health as overall power doesn't necessarily make you the toughest character in the bunch.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    Damage means almost nothing on the savage challenge. If you debuff him and could keep them alive doing it with like 4 lvl 1s would only make you like 4 or 5 turns slower. Savage is all about debuff then hit him as many times as you can. For Cad he occasionally does go on a killing spree and destroy some characters. Someone with offense down does well against him, I use Hoth soldier, he has defects down on basic, many other options available for that too, if you want a good comparison on some max level characters at full stars and gear use this site

Swgoh.gg
    Great site with lots of helpful info

• Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to debuff Savage to beat the challenge. When he does his special, he hurts himself also. If you can live long enough, he'll take his own HP down to 1, where you can hit him with anyone and win.
  • Options
    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents
    You have no damage dealers/attackers.
    So who to farm...
    GW store: phasma to 7*, then Poggle or ig 86 depending on who you feel you would prefer first.
    Arena store: STHan all the way to 7*. Although Sid may seem alright now, he drops off hugely by level 70 and becomes average.
    Cantina battles: GS (Geonosian soldier). A very fast and strong attacker who has a good amount of health as well and is very easy to farm. After that, farm either old Ben or Dooku from cantina depending on which you would prefer to be your squad's leader.
    Cantina shipments: QGJ to 7*, then Daka to 7*. Go for fives after those two.
    Hard nodes: rey and RG. There you have the best attacker in the game and arguably the best tank. I still think STHan has the edge.
    From the guild store, buy rey shards only. Once she's 7* in a few months, save up for pieces of otherwise unobtainable gear.

Good advice in general. I'll give my 2 cents.

In your current situation, you need more attackers. I would prioritize 86 first in GW vs the other 2.

The other comment I have is don't farm your GW and Cantina shipment characters all the way to 7* right off the bat. It is far more effective for overall progress if for example you get QGJ to 5* and then Daka to 5* and then QGJ to 6* and then Daka to 6* and so on. You benefit from the use of each of these characters much earlier as they are viable for GW at 5* (just get em to purple gear fast).

STHan is an exception you can treat as an exception because hes really the only great character in the arena....
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to debuff Savage to beat the challenge. When he does his special, he hurts himself also. If you can live long enough, he'll take his own HP down to 1, where you can hit him with anyone and win.

Very true but that has a lot more potential to go wrong if a heal is on cd and he wipes you... It'll work if you don't have a strong debuffer but I would try to avoid it as your main strategy
  • Options
    Durrun wrote: »

Very true but that has a lot more potential to go wrong if a heal is on cd and he wipes you... It'll work if you don't have a strong debuffer but I would try to avoid it as your main strategy

Agree 100%. Its a strat that can work, but its much more risky based on healing cool downs and droid attacks. The debuff strat is simple, effective and much higher rate of success.
  • Options
    I find that I can't kill the droids quickly enough, so I don't really like that tactic at the top level. I can auto both Cad and Savage at the second hardest level and never lose and I don't mind losing battles from time to time otherwise there is no challenge or fun to it but I want to at least pull a win one in three times consistently so even if I do the challenge 15 times in an afternoon I at least walk out with my max benefit.

I am also trying to work out how to beat him using my existing characters (I leveled Talia up one star this morning) and he resisted all of my debuffs in at least two battles yesterday. I won twice at the top level but then got my butt handed to me over another 4 or 5 attempts.

It seems like the first battle or two that I do for the day I get a lighter run but as you progress through the 5 chances to do the challenge the game seems to play dirty and makes each attempt more difficult.

I dont think it gets harder per challenge. its just RNG. as for Talia, mine is 3*, gear VII, 53 and i stick debuff 50%+ (eyeballed). my team (posted above) has many options to stick a debuff. its all about redundancy. if you dont have daka, i would get her for sure. also phasma and dooku are nice for this. i would really try to have all of your team in at least VII gear though. protection isnt super important, but it should give enough potency to land debuffs. all mine are VII or VIII.
  • Options
    Mmmm.... more thoughts to chew on. Cheers.