Disney cancels Infinity. Any impact on other Disney-related video games ?

Hello,
A question for our community managers ...
Everything is in the title. Now, it's true that Disney only sells a licence to EA for SW:GoH. They don't have an operational hand on the game (I think).

However, what Bob Iger at the end of this article ( Kotaku article ) is a bit odd, he says - "[The video game] business is a changing business, We did not have enough confidence in the business in terms of it being stable enough."

If he means business as "the video game business" does that mean that every disney-related video game is being targeted (potentially SW:GoH) ? Or does he merely mean "the business related to the Infinity game" ?
Can Disney just cancel a licence overnight ?

Replies

• Options
    In theory they can, but there isnt any reason to do that since they are not the ones taking a risk with for example Goh. Dont wanna write a novel about this so i say dont worry ä, at least not about this game. ;)
  • Mattam
    22 posts Member
    Options
    SWGOH is the highest grossing f2p game for EA besides Madden. Doubt they would cancel it.
  • Options
    Infinity was cancelled because it was not cost effective; i.e. they weren't making enough profit from it. SWGoH makes heaps of profit and ultimately is produced by EA who pay for the SW license from Disney. Disney would only pull the plug on this if EA stopped paying the license fee. EA would only stop paying the license fee if they stopped making profit from the game.
  • Mo_liza
    786 posts Member
    Options
    But Infinity is not performing well, and Disney credits it with dragging down its consumer products and interactive media division. While the global gaming market is $99.6 billion, a big slice is on mobile, where Disney has shifted a lot of its focus.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/10/the-disney-infinity-franchise-is-over-as-entertainment-company-pulls-out-of-console-games/
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    infinity was a flop. apparently swgoh and madden are breadwinners in the mobile sector for ea in q4 2015
    mighty chlorians
  • Khayman
    850 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah infinity was garbage. I would buy them for the actual figures but couldnt give a flip about the game.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    This means this game will last...for now
  • dbraba01
    268 posts Member
    Options
    It sucks because I almost have a full collection from 1 to 3 including power discs. My kids love it.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Same daughter loves it and now I gotta be sith mom :( and explain that , she has like 80 of those statues
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    Disney Infinity was made by Disney Interactive. SWGOH is made by EA. The only similarity among these two games is that they are both Star Wars game. So unless EA finds this game to have poor financial performance, its not going anywhere.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Disney has an 10 year contract with ea. The game isn't going anywhere soon.
    Post edited by ChefHaze on
  • StarSon
    7465 posts Member
    Options
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Disney has an 8 year contract with ea. The game isn't going anywhere soon.

@ChefHaze really? Where did you see that?
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @StarSon
    StarSon wrote: »
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    Disney has an 10 year contract with ea. The game isn't going anywhere soon.

@ChefHaze really? Where did you see that?
    We certainly plan to be here quite a long time. :)

As you may already know, EA has a 10 year agreement with Disney / Lucas to make Star Wars games.

There's a huge amount of support behind and belief in this game. And we're still in the very early days. As of yesterday, we have been worldwide only 15 weeks.

Lots more is on its way, and I think you guys are going to really enjoy what's coming. :)

Thanks!
  • StarSon
    7465 posts Member
    Options
    @ChefHaze Awesome. Thanks :)
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    Options
    I think SW:GOH is safe. It is licensed. From the article.

This confirms that the company is ending its internal game-making endeavors. Instead, Disney will now move on to licensing its properties out to third-parties. This is a business model it has had success with when it comes to Star Wars and Marvel