New Tank

Currently I'm running a chewie 4* ,greedo 6*,luke4*,luminara6*, and Talia 4* build. It kept me in the 300-500 range in pvp all the way up to level 50. Now it's starting to get harder to keep that ranking. I believe it's chewie fault and was wondering what tank I should go for first? Any other switch suggestions for my team would be cool too.

Replies

• Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    I would argue its talias fault mostly. Chewy is solid imo. Talia is overly garbage. Her heal is strong but she sacrifices to use it making her an easy target.
  • Options
    Okay anyone you think would be handy to switch her out for? I rely on her heal for when luminaras is on cool down and things start to get sketchy but I'm willing to use anything else
  • Biteme
    2 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Jedi Consular is a great swap for Talia. But that's just me.
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Talia is not garbage at all, she is only "bad" because of the recognised issue with her heal on AI control.

The problem to me the Chewie/Talia combo: it's too slow/not enough damage output early in the round.

Talia's heal gives your team 25% turn meter boost which is amazballs and gives you an early run for round 2.

Replace Chewie with Fives or Poe from Cantina.

You can also use dual taunt approach (I do in pve/GW sometimes) so for example, you run Chewie and Poe together, protecting your low health damagers for longer (taunt with one, then with the other once it's out), so then you could do very well without Talia in this case. Doesn't work with AOE opponent obviously.

Try it out in cantina runs or GW early node, best place to practice various combos.
    ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Options
    I would definitely drop Chewie for Poe, he's just flat out better. Strongly consider running Luke as your leader for the tenacity boost as it will help Poe (not to mention the others) out a lot. Consider trading out Talia for for either another dps or more reliable healer, either Bariss, or JC since he's easily farmable / gearable. If you want DPS then Sid would be a solid choice, or maybe something like Genosian Soldier as they're both quite farmable. Finn, although rarely seen, might be a viable option as well.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    The reality (as you can see) is that all toons are good in their own ways. and the argument as to which is better is endless because the fact is, almost none are factually better then others cause they r all good in their own way and are awesome under the correct circumstances.
  • Narisil
    14 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just know for a fact I'm lacking in pvp due to AI being dumb and greedo's secondary being trash but the ai will always use it. what's the draw back for Poe? Just so I know when to switch him in
  • Options
    If you get a fast taunting charcter like poe, why don't you swap greedo for someone like tie pilot, ig88 or Sid
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with any tanks other than Chewie that can taunt. I find that Chewie is strong though mine is 5* 6 gear with 1 slot from 7 gear and level 5 abilities across the board. I do however encounter alot of people playing Han or Fives as tanks so I'm guessing they are both pretty good. I do notice Fives putting out way more dps than Chewie as a tank though.
  • Options
    Fives is great, I used him for a very long time in pvp and kinda still do. He's quick has a lot of health, can call for support attacks and slows the enemy+ huge counter chance. His only issue, like most tanks is his dps, which isn't bad but it isn't good either. I just swapped him out for phasma as aoe speed reduction and aoe turn meter gain+ she has more damage
  • Options
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    If you get a fast taunting charcter like poe, why don't you swap greedo for someone like tie pilot, ig88 or Sid

Cause with how much I've invested in greedo right now he's hitting for 3.2k crits and every other critical seems to trigger his passive for a total of 4-5k damage. And he's tankier then all of them from what I've seen in pvp. The only one I may consider switch out for him would be ig88 but that requires a lot of grinding rn
  • Options
    Well if greedo is working for you then stick with him for sure. Your two attackers are relatively high health attackers. Maybe instead of another tank you could get another attacker and two healers. So run lum and talia/jc then greedo Luke and another attacker. Or you could use Poe as a taunting tank until you get ig88
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    Lesson 1 about tanks.......

Don't waste any time at all on mace

Thats all u need to know haha
  • Options
    I have a pretty good Royal Guard and he does taunt automatically (well 25% chance) when an ally is 25% in health. Not too shabby. Free Taunt.