What do you guys think of Area Damage, is it still viable now that Protection is implemented?

Oliverwilliohelma
133 posts Member
edited May 2016
Is there anyone using Area Damage team in Arena? How does it fare?

What do you guys think of Area Damage, is it still viable now that Protection is implemented? 95 votes

Yes, it is still viable.
76%
DemonsheartUshoKhorvog_KarbossaHbk146ichotolotDarthMasterShawnd3toxIamTexcomandabenLianaraunit900000ZekexWJ28EricsonXSavageopMegadeth3700RavenBoba_The_FetterCWentMenaceIISobriety 73 votes
No, it isn't viable any more.
23%
jeremyj26Sticare_Courts_0073ShadowHoundmccif16AlrikstervincentlondonbenacrowKAULIKrychekSuckaAngrybaldmanApocSikhoHunterXJDTheSickmaster86Puke_PiestalkerTheDukeofDukes22CandGTwins1216RadioavonWholf 22 votes

Replies

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    More viable, in a way. It means a heal cant erase 25k aoe damage of an opening attack.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Great for whittling down protection. Those with a debuff attached to their AoE are the ones who suffer the most. Tenacity is so high at upper levels that many characters debuffs are resisted easily. But those meant for pure destruction, such as Kylo, are more effective than his basic attack, especially since it can be reused over and over again.
  • Rizn
    246 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Asajj's AOE has been working well lately actually.
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    a couple in your team with someone to power up and everyone's protection is gone in turn 1
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    I run a Lando lead team with ST Han, daka, RG QGJ all gear 9 except ST Han. I'm only lvl 74 with zero omegas and I'm lowest in my server as far as I can see, I was gone for 3 weeks. I'm in the top ten everyday and never fall below 20. I don't really understand why this team does well on defense except extra turns from st Han and stuns. Lando hits for 9k with crits on aoe with QGJ buff. Does a lot of dmg and is not effected by taunts.

Once I get Lando to gear 11 he'll be a beast with a lot of protection.

I have zero chance against a counter team though.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Olle wrote: »
    I have zero chance against a counter team though.

I use old Ben lead, with ST Han leia lando and Rey and I love counter teams! So much TM!
  • Lianara
    740 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Aoe from 88 in one shot can remove protection from most enemy chars ... Except for chars with huge protection pools. I think it's even more powerful now as protection can't be healed back.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318
  • Options
    Interesting. Guess I was wrong about AOE being unviable.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    I use 88 with Vader. Vader goes first and uses his aoe, and 88 goes right after using his and getting a huge damage boost because everyone already has debuffs.
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    I use 88 with Vader. Vader goes first and uses his aoe, and 88 goes right after using his and getting a huge damage boost because everyone already has debuffs.

How much does 88 aoe crit for when you do this?
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Olle wrote: »

How much does 88 aoe crit for when you do this?

It's hard to see but usually at least 6k against each enemy on the aoe. Suffice it to say that unless there are some gear IX tanks on the other team, all protection will be gone, leaving Vader free to one shot anyone with enough debuffs on his next turn.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    AoE is viable, even OP.

On my server there is this team:
    Phasma lead, Poe, Vader, IG88, Magmatrooper.

This team is extremely powerful. Poe taunts first, then the rest of the team moves thanks to TM gain. IG-88 does his AoE for ability block, then vader adds a bunch of DoTs, then Phasma slows and Magma explodes you while ignoring damage.

Vader then uses culling blade to deal 20K to any toon, killing them instantly.

Your team will be down to 4 members, no protection, and all ability-blocked and slowed before you get to do much.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    I'd say it's definitely viable.

However, the caveat is that like with all arena battles, if you are fighting 1-2 counter attackers or those who are running an evasion leader like Dooku/Obiwan/Lumi then it could end up very bad for you unless you also have a mix of strong single target DPS.

For example, if i run my regular Arena team of gear8/9 heroes:

Phasma (Leader), QJG, Daka, Rey and RG/ST Han

I can simply 2 shot almost any AOE attackers other than Magma Trooper, Kylo and Phasma and on average the most powerful AOE characters are quite squishy (looking at you Lando/IG 88).
  • yoda_san
    150 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    I can't see why it wouldn't be viable
  • Oliverwilliohelma
    133 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I appreciate many of you guys who have provided solid information for the topic -- area damage.
    yoda_san wrote: »
    I can't see why it wouldn't be viable
    By viable, I mean being competent in arena.

You can't see why area damage wouldn't be viable? Or you think area damage is definitely viable? In which case, it's regrettable you haven't provided any reasons like others do. Otherwise, I think whether or not single damage dealer can potentially score kills faster than area damage does is an issue to be considered for the question whether or not area damage would be viable. An example of single damage team would be Ackabar, Leia, Rey, Phasma, RG.

So I would appreciate sufficient considerations to be made and reasons to be provided when making statement instead of merely obscure statement not based on consideration. Thanks very much.

I think in order to answer the question whether or not area damage is viable compared with viability of single damage, there are at least three factors to be considered:
    Factor one: How much does Protection extend survivability and what are some of the other effects of that extension in battle?
    Factor two: How much is area damage compared with single damage and what are their effectiveness in comparison?
    Factor three: Can area damage be the main damage output in lieu of single damage?

Nevertheless, another post in forum that demonstrates how Lando does in arena is pretty convincing that area damage is viable, at least for Lando. So I wonder which other area damage dealers would also be viable in arena.

Thanks,

Post edited by Oliverwilliohelma on
  • Options
    @Oliverwilliohelma

Finally it has happened!!!!!! Your in my server n the first Ive seen in these forums. Dont know why but Im really happy its happened. Server name same as account name. Usually battling for top 5 every day.......n I see you there.

Anyway as for your topic and has been posted on, Lando. That is all, lol. Seriously though, if I could do it over I would run Leia lead doing her thing n giving lando crits, RG n SunFac taking hits, Lando spreading his mustache love n Kylo. Kylo cause he's tankyish n DOESNT leave debuffs (Ackbar) n w Leia invis half the game leaves opponet tough choice. Lando or Kylo. They go after lando then kylo can do his thing (healing immun n area damage). They go after Kylo then lord help them as Lando, well.......Lando's.

On my second account Im also top 5 as f2p w/
    Lando lead, RG, Han, Phasma n Lumi. Its very fun to run. I think Lando will be the next boom character everybody has to have as more start to run him n see his effectiveness.......so shhhhh, lol.

Btw, see you started running droids.....lemme know how its working for. Also when is your payout on arena? mine's at 6pm pacific....you know, not to interfere w each other.
  • Options
    Yes, it is still viable.
    Lando and 88 can really lay it on, especially Lando.

Phasma can slow ppl and honestly I use AOE of hers when Rey has Foresight to get rid of it without wasting a good hit.
  • Options
    No, it isn't viable any more.
    Don't try to farm Lando. DO NOT farm Lando like I did.

KappaPride
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride