The game isn't flawed. We are.

Prev134
They don't ignore issues - they're just trying to figure out how to achieve the impossible - equilibrium, where, no matter your status (f2p p2p), you can compete at any level. Every update has been an attempt to achieve this balance, and from what I've seen, since mid-December, they are getting closer and closer.

We are a bloody demeaning group. Most things we a̶s̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ demand, is for our own individual benefit - for us to achieve #1 in Arena, complete GW, rank top three in Raids, and unlock exclusive characters. We want the biggest payout. We want the rarest character. We want the moody powerful squad.

A lot of our requests are unreasonable. We become accustomed to using certain characters. We spend cash, crystals, and time to develop them. We neglect all characters except these 5-10. We play with the (false) assumption that these characters are all we need to succeed.

Six months ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

Three months ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

One month ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

Now, rather than creating 10 new characters to see at the top of the leaderboard, they're trying to make all characters viable.

An impossible task.

Expect some mistakes - I doubt they play as much as we do. They have to rely on our input. But all we have is negative input, including myself.

"Rey is too strong"

"Fives kills my entire team"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

"Evasion is out of control"

Previously, this is the input they listened to, and in doing so, they ruined many characters. We complained because we didn't want to adjust our squad accordingly, because we spent so much on that squad to be competitive.

The issue with that is, it's an endless loop. You will always have strong characters, and you will always have weak characters, but what they need to focus on, and I think are trying to do, is balance them. Because a character doesn't hit hard, it doesn't mean they aren't viable

I think most of us can agree, with the introduction of Raids, we are finally starting to see that. Who really used Ventress, Akbar, or Mace before raids? Very few of us. Now they are invaluable. Ewoks? Unheard of in arena! As a result of the Raids, I have developed nearly 20 characters that I previously thought were useless. It turns out they weren't.

Yes, there have been mistakes and many unforeseen consequences with previous updates, but I for one, am actually noticing real change. Some mistakes can't be undone - it's just too late. And yes, I will finally admit that they never should've changed the gear requirements, but they did, and though they can't fix it entirely, it is getting better. Eventually, there will be balance.

I'll say it again - I was one of those who complained a lot, and as I look back at those complaints, they were selfish, and served me and me alone. I adapted to the change, and now I (mostly) embrace those changes.

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

(But seriously, stacking stuns!)

Replies

• Options
    +1
  • SpiveyJr
    69 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • ZarLatho
    690 posts Member
    Options
    +1 -stacking stuns
  • LegoLegs_
    141 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • Options
    'The game isn't flawed'

So there's no flaws? It's perfect is it?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
  • Options
    'The game isn't flawed'

It's a title. I'm not saying saying the game is flawless.
  • Options
    ZarLatho wrote: »
    +1 -stacking stuns

I will get you on board with this, one day.
  • Options
    'The game isn't flawed'

So it's just misleading then. Cool.

The main chunk of your post is full of generalizations and complete fallacies by the way.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    'The game isn't flawed'

The main chunk of your post is full of generalizations and complete fallacies by the way.

Cool.
  • dvl009
    529 posts Member
    Options
    your opinion is flawed
  • Options
    Hey OP! I generally agree with you. Some of the changes made thus far have definitely been a step in the right direction. I started playing in middle Nov last year and yes there is so much more diversity now.

However, if you started around the same time as me, you've got to admit that this game is increasingly becoming harder for newer players. It is becoming more taxing. And the cash grab is getting worse. Back in Nov you could actually get 4* chars out of Bronziums, packs were much better priced and scaled (e.g. Dooku pack, Droid packs, daily subs) and RNG was not that big a factor.

I fully understand that it is impossible and hard to balance between F2P and P2P. Besides they're running a business. But some of the changes and trends now are becoming more "ruthless" if I may in terms of making us spend.

E.g. US$12 to bring a new hero to Gear VI and ~50. I dont know how that is justifiable. You are really better off buying crystals. And to make matters worse they make it a one time offer where once you click "no" it never appears. Come on if this is to cater to new players, wouldn't it be fair to give them more time to choose what characters they really want on their rosters? Moreover going back to the poorer bronzium drops, why further limit the rosters of new players when they have practically nothing. With so many new characters now, what harm is there to be more generous and make older toons more accessible?

There are many more examples. I won't state all; this would become an essay. But really, I sincerely hope the general direction can be valuing and appreciating the entire player base, both new and old.
  • Options
    @1AmYourFath3r
    In response you are looking at things in a very specific light. The main flaw in your argument is that they are making such huge mistakes in the first place. To name a few

Precrafting

The whole 'generally fast characters will see a damage reduction.....'

Changing the yoda event then saying they didn't which now has 40+ pages of complaints in less than 24hours.

Making guilds competitive and the whole loot system

Now, where I agree there has been some positive changes and some complaints are justified and some are nonsense but this is EA one of if not the biggest game publisher taking on a massive licence which is star wars. In my honest opinion there shouldn't be as many mistakes as there are currently as it seems as though everything is rushed and not thoroughly play tested along with glaring design flaws. What you are praising is updates correcting these mistakes which are only brought to light when they see it doesn't work. When you consider people are spending quite large amounts of cash on this game EA have a responsibility to get it right
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Options
    We become accustomed to using certain characters. We spend cash, crystals, and time to develop them. We neglect all characters except these 5-10.

And THAT is why the game (or anyway the freemium model) is flawed. When you run a money based game model and people spend cash on certain characters you expect them to be able to be competitive because as a consumer....you paid for it.

If the game was a flat fee or subscription model, then they can tweak and balance all they want because no one is out of pocket if they diminish character A's power relative to character B.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    -1 for stacking stuns
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    +1 op
  • Kinnick
    83 posts Member
    Options
    They don't ignore issues - they're just trying to figure out how to achieve the impossible - equilibrium, where, no matter your status (f2p p2p), you can compete at any level. Every update has been an attempt to achieve this balance, and from what I've seen, since mid-December, they are getting closer and closer.

We are a bloody demeaning group. Most things we a̶s̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ demand, is for our own individual benefit - for us to achieve #1 in Arena, complete GW, rank top three in Raids, and unlock exclusive characters. We want the biggest payout. We want the rarest character. We want the moody powerful squad.

A lot of our requests are unreasonable. We become accustomed to using certain characters. We spend cash, crystals, and time to develop them. We neglect all characters except these 5-10. We play with the (false) assumption that these characters are all we need to succeed.

Six months ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

Three months ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

One month ago, the leaderboard had the same combination of 10 characters. The game was updated, and those characters were benched.

Now, rather than creating 10 new characters to see at the top of the leaderboard, they're trying to make all characters viable.

An impossible task.

Expect some mistakes - I doubt they play as much as we do. They have to rely on our input. But all we have is negative input, including myself.

"Rey is too strong"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

Previously, this is the input they listened to, and in doing so, they ruined many characters. We complained because we didn't want to adjust our squad accordingly, because we spent so much on that squad to be competitive.

The issue with that is, it's an endless loop. You will always have strong characters, and you will always have weak characters, but what they need to focus on, and I think are trying to do, is balance them. Because a character doesn't hit hard, it doesn't mean they aren't viable

I think most of us can agree, with the introduction of Raids, we are finally starting to see that. Who really used Ventress, Akbar, or Mace before raids? Very few of us. Now they are invaluable. Ewoks? Unheard of in arena! As a result of the Raids, I have developed nearly 20 characters that I previously thought were useless. It turns out they weren't.

Yes, there have been mistakes and many unforeseen consequences with previous updates, but I for one, am actually noticing real change. Some mistakes can't be undone - it's just too late. And yes, I will finally admit that they never should've changed the gear requirements, but they did, and though they can't fix it entirely, it is getting better. Eventually, there will be balance.

I'll say it again - I was one of those who complained a lot, and as I look back at those complaints, they were selfish, and served me and me alone. I adapted to the change, and now I (mostly) embrace those changes.

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

Well put, cheers!
  • Options
    I see the OPs general spirit is one of being ashamed of his history of complaining. I'm that way, he is spot on. And I too, in my life, am ashamed of much of the complaining I have done in the past.
    That does not, however, change the fact that life, AND this game, has problems, has unfair situations.
    Much of what has happened in this game is indeed unfair. Precraft-gate is probably the number 1 unfair, cash-grabbing, horrible thing to happen to this game.
    Hopefully we can point out flaws (the game is indeed flawed) while still enjoying the game and being positive about the experience (which is the real meat of what I get from the OP). If we can't have a general spirit of positivity , we should quit the game quietly.
    I enjoy the game, that's why I play it!
    I can also see the greedy,corporate cash grab that is shameless and unfair in many ways. We all can see that they can get away with "some" of that and the game will be viable and still fun. They are the ones taking a risk here...too much and the game may fade away as we go elsewhere and avoid the next game made by them.
    In the meantime, we enjoy the game as long as we can, post the problems as we see them, remain positive, and leave if we've had enough.
  • Kinnick
    83 posts Member
    Options
    'The game isn't flawed'

"The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant."
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    Options
    OP plus 1
  • Options
    "The game isn't flawed... Expect some mistakes"

Ooooh boy.
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    We become accustomed to using certain characters. We spend cash, crystals, and time to develop them. We neglect all characters except these 5-10.

And THAT is why the game (or anyway the freemium model) is flawed. When you run a money based game model and people spend cash on certain characters you expect them to be able to be competitive because as a consumer....you paid for it.

If the game was a flat fee or subscription model, then they can tweak and balance all they want because no one is out of pocket if they diminish character A's power relative to character B.

Are you new to freemium mobile game? It's either they balance or they powercreep. Which you would complain about also given the toon you paid money for in January is now useless in March and this new f2p accessible toon can beat your expensive January toon.

I'd rather have balancing. Because somebody buy a character (let's say Leia) we have to keep it OP and ruining the game for all the players? Or you spent money and got a not so great toon (dunno, let's say kit fisto) following your reasoning it shouldn't be buffed to a more balanced state?

You realize that this is not a sustainable situation? It is up to you to be an educated customer. It's no secret that spending on virtual stuff will eventually be a waste (changed, balanced, powercreeped, the game will stop, server shut down, etc...)
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    OP, I fully agree with most of your post but the one thing I think you are wrong on is the difference between f2p and p2p.

I think this is wrong. I have played since November and one point I made to all my friends from November through April was that they could join in and not pay a cent and be able to compete successfully in all aspects of the game.
    Now, that is not the case mainly because of the unobtainable gear. I have spent a lot of money on this game but when I have a total of three people with gear nine for an arena power of 31,985 and I look at my server Arena competition and see teams where all 5 members are gear 9 and 10 with power pushing 35,000 the difference between paying and not paying becomes obvious.

Before Gear 9, fighting a +2000-3000 power team was doable and that is why I praised the game for making f2p competitive. IMO, they have taken a step back.

The rest of your post, is right on. I continue to hold out hope that they have a plan and are working torwards something greater and that they can bring the game back on track.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    Fitz wrote: »

Are you new to freemium mobile game? It's either they balance or they powercreep. Which you would complain about also given the toon you paid money for in January is now useless in March and this new f2p accessible toon can beat your expensive January toon.

I'd rather have balancing. Because somebody buy a character (let's say Leia) we have to keep it OP and ruining the game for all the players? Or you spent money and got a not so great toon (dunno, let's say kit fisto) following your reasoning it shouldn't be buffed to a more balanced state?

You realize that this is not a sustainable situation? It is up to you to be an educated customer. It's no secret that spending on virtual stuff will eventually be a waste (changed, balanced, powercreeped, the game will stop, server shut down, etc...)

No fair using logic, common sense, and real life experience.
    That stuff doesnt fly around here.
    Try again with more complaining.
  • Options
    Starjumper wrote: »
    @1AmYourFath3r
    In response you are looking at things in a very specific light. The main flaw in your argument is that they are making such huge mistakes in the first place. To name a few

Precrafting

The whole 'generally fast characters will see a damage reduction.....'

Changing the yoda event then saying they didn't which now has 40+ pages of complaints in less than 24hours.

Making guilds competitive and the whole loot system

Now, where I agree there has been some positive changes and some complaints are justified and some are nonsense but this is EA one of if not the biggest game publisher taking on a massive licence which is star wars. In my honest opinion there shouldn't be as many mistakes as there are currently as it seems as though everything is rushed and not thoroughly play tested along with glaring design flaws. What you are praising is updates correcting these mistakes which are only brought to light when they see it doesn't work. When you consider people are spending quite large amounts of cash on this game EA have a responsibility to get it right

Yes, they are still making mistakes and they still have issues they need to deal with, but these issues aren't self-serving. Previous updates were knee-**** reactions to selfish problems, and that's a trend i see less of now, but maybe that's just me. It could very easily be that they are working on a solution for the major issues as we speak, but to fix one issue, you are going to create more - some that they might not even be aware of.

Yoda has always been hard to defeat. I know it wasn't easy for me by any means. I can't say the difficulty has changed since I earned him, but I see just as many people unlocking him. The only real way to see if it's any more difficult is to replay the same tier, but that's not possible, unless you have multiple accounts.

I honestly haven't really assessed the guild payout yet, mainly because the selfish me is top three at payouts, and I pay to play, and I like what I get. I know it's not right - we shouldn't have to compete to be rewarded in a team event, as f2p has no chance among an ocean of whales. Maybe the gear should be equal across the board, but have a tiered credit payout?

Maybe I'm just rambling now, and possibly contradicting myself. I think my general point is that the we are selfish, especially those who pay too play, including myself. I've played since mid-December, and in general, the game has only gotten better, and more balanced.

• Mojavelandbaron
    977 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

An impossible task.

"Rey is too strong"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

I didn't read the entire novel up above, but I got the jist. I take issue with your assumption there are no flaws and that we ask for things for our individual benefit (How do you know everyone's motive? You don't, so that's very presumptive on your part).

I'm not quoting verbatim, but you asserted that nerfs were good because you got tired of seeing the same toons on the leaderboard (your problem, not everyone's), and the nerfing forced players to bench their characters. How is it a good thing when a company that received real $$$$ for toons it advertised to have certain qualities renegs on what it promised to its customers because some players were crying that a toon "Hits me too hard. Please make him stop! Whaaah!", rather than buffing the defficient characters? Anyone who doesn't have the stomach for this game and wants someone to baby-proof their entire world for them has the option of checking out the variety of other games out there: Dora the Explorer, Barny the Dinosaur or Tickle Me Elmo. I'll bet they even have a Pee Wee Herman game that's right up your alley.
  • Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options

An impossible task.

"Rey is too strong"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

I didn't read the entire novel up above, but I got the jist. I take issue with your assumption there are no flaws and that we ask for things for our individual benefit (How do you know everyone's motive? You don't, so that's very presumptive on your part).

I'm not quoting verbatim, but you asserted that nerfs were good because you got tired of seeing the same toons on the leaderboard (your problem, not everyone's), and the nerfing forced players to bench their characters. How is it a good thing when a company that received real $$$$ for toons it advertised to have certain qualities renegs on what it promised to its customers because some players were crying that a toon "Hits me too hard. Please make him stop! Whaaah!", rather than buffing the defficient characters? Anyone ho doesn't have the stomach for this game and wants someone to baby-proof their entire world for them has the option of checking out the variety of other games out there: Dora the Explorer, Barny the Dinosaur or Tickle Me Elmo. I'll bet they even have a Pee Wee Herman game that's right up your alley.

You probably should have read what you quoted and commented on.
  • Options

An impossible task.

"Rey is too strong"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

I'm not quoting verbatim, but you asserted that nerfs were good because you got tired of seeing the same toons on the leaderboard (your problem, not everyone's), and the nerfing forced players to bench their characters. How is it a good thing when a company that received real $$$$ for toons it advertised to have certain qualities renegs on what it promised to its customers because some players were crying that a toon "Hits me too hard. Please make him stop! Whaaah!", rather than buffing the defficient characters? Anyone ho doesn't have the stomach for this game and wants someone to baby-proof their entire world for them has the option of checking out the variety of other games out there: Dora the Explorer, Barny the Dinosaur or Tickle Me Elmo. I'll bet they even have a Pee Wee Herman game that's right up your alley.

Nope you sure didn't read the whole thing, or you would have seen I am against nerfs. And buffs.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

An impossible task.

"Rey is too strong"

"FOTP is useless"

"Yoda is impossible"

To the Devs,

Keep up the good work.

I'm not quoting verbatim, but you asserted that nerfs were good because you got tired of seeing the same toons on the leaderboard (your problem, not everyone's), and the nerfing forced players to bench their characters. How is it a good thing when a company that received real $$$$ for toons it advertised to have certain qualities renegs on what it promised to its customers because some players were crying that a toon "Hits me too hard. Please make him stop! Whaaah!", rather than buffing the defficient characters? Anyone who doesn't have the stomach for this game and wants someone to baby-proof their entire world for them has the option of checking out the variety of other games out there: Dora the Explorer, Barny the Dinosaur or Tickle Me Elmo. I'll bet they even have a Pee Wee Herman game that's right up your alley.

i suggest you read the entire novel
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • bhtrumpcc07
    12 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I definitely agree that many people on these forums complain for selfish reasons. There's countless calls for nerfing characters while also comments asking to strengthen characters they may already have. How much more self-serving can you get?

However, that doesn't mean some complaints aren't valid. I think the main complaint is the lack of communication beforehand from the devs on some key changes.

Yoda is the main example that now sticks out in my mind.

I've been farming my 7 star Jedi for months preparing for this release. All gear 8 with one slot away from gear 9 on each, lvl 72+, 3 healers, etc. (QGJ, JC, Lumi, Eeth Koth, Ashoka)
    Imagine my surprise when I found the event to be nearly impossible (apparently not farming specifically for Barris was a mistake). The devs responded with "we didn't change anything about Yoda. Oh, except that we 'adjusted' for the protection bar." The "adjustment" being they increased the damage output from Yoda big time. So instead of hinting beforehand that these "adjustments" would be made, it's like they're hoping we are panicked into buying crystals when these changes happen. Imo, it shouldn't take someone with max geared 7 star Jedi (3 healers) 500 tries to get Yoda.

I sometimes feel like EA is giving the customers a huge middle finger on stuff like this. And apparently I'm not alone.

So it's not JUST the players that are flawed. It's also EA.