Not really seeing how the gear gate is a "money grab." What am I missing?

Replies

• Options
    @Baldo, thanks for explaining it so thoroughly. I understand how with a less naive outlook than my own this whole furnace thing can be perceived as a game design geared on getting people to spend money. I guess I was honestly so thankful that I didn't need guilds or raids to get my guys to gear 9/10 that my initial outlook was contrary to what @Widget_gaget mentioned: I thought they did add them to shipments to make a way for the guildless (aka make them easier to get.) Isn't there any perception of goodwill on their part in this? Even a little?

That's all about the furnace, though, and not raid gear in general. But to the extent it's been explained I agree they are making money from it, no doubt. Still trying to see the good in it, though. All in all I rather the furnace be in shipments than raid only and because of that I guess I'm seeing it more as a win-win rather than purely a ploy for profit.

@Widget_gaget , concerning the rare tobacco, it is absolutely worth $600 to someone. The people who both see it as having that high of a value AND have the funds to procure it made it so. Certainly wouldn't be worth that kinda money to me, but I don't set the prices for thst kinda stuff. Fact is no single person controls anything beyond the initial asking price. If unreasonable it should be left alone. If reasonable it should be purchased. In this way consumers control the final price of things under normal circumstances. I get that in the game they ask seemingly ridiculous prices for things that normal rules of economic behavior can't change. I feel it's largely due to the amount of irrational people spending $ like crazy with no care of value until AFTER THE FACT. Anyway, that was an aside and I hope you don't take it as being argumentative to your point. It's just that if you look at it in terms of my example in the original post, sometimes people will be irrational and pay more money just to get what they want WHEN they want because to them it does hold a value you most of us find to be ludicrous.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    @Baldo, thanks for explaining it so thoroughly. I understand how with a less naive outlook than my own this whole furnace thing can be perceived as a game design geared on getting people to spend money. I guess I was honestly so thankful that I didn't need guilds or raids to get my guys to gear 9/10 that my initial outlook was contrary to what @Widget_gaget mentioned: I thought they did add them to shipments to make a way for the guildless (aka make them easier to get.) Isn't there any perception of goodwill on their part in this? Even a little?

That's all about the furnace, though, and not raid gear in general. But to the extent it's been explained I agree they are making money from it, no doubt. Still trying to see the good in it, though. All in all I rather the furnace be in shipments than raid only and because of that I guess I'm seeing it more as a win-win rather than purely a ploy for profit.

@Widget_gaget , concerning the rare tobacco, it is absolutely worth $600 to someone. The people who both see it as having that high of a value AND have the funds to procure it made it so. Certainly wouldn't be worth that kinda money to me, but I don't set the prices for thst kinda stuff. Fact is no single person controls anything beyond the initial asking price. If unreasonable it should be left alone. If reasonable it should be purchased. In this way consumers control the final price of things under normal circumstances. I get that in the game they ask seemingly ridiculous prices for things that normal rules of economic behavior can't change. I feel it's largely due to the amount of irrational people spending $ like crazy with no care of value until AFTER THE FACT. Anyway, that was an aside and I hope you don't take it as being argumentative to your point. It's just that if you look at it in terms of my example in the original post, sometimes people will be irrational and pay more money just to get what they want WHEN they want because to them it does hold a value you most of us find to be ludicrous.

No problem man!
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    They admitted they were fencing off gear to slow the game down. They accomplished that by making furnaces drop rarely in shipments and by making the component gear cost a lot of guild credits. Mission accomplished.

Charging 1615 crystals for the furnaces? Money grab.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi2407 wrote: »
    They admitted they were fencing off gear to slow the game down. They accomplished that by making furnaces drop rarely in shipments and by making the component gear cost a lot of guild credits. Mission accomplished.

Charging 1615 crystals for the furnaces? Money grab.

@Jedi2407 Money grab.
  • Options
    @Snake2, glad I could bring back some good memories. I work in an office now and during every season that isn't winter I wish that I could have earned the kind of money (and have the type of benifits) I do now when I framed houses. I certainly miss it and hope your dad enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • Options
    I definitely see your points StormTro0p3R_H. With the high price of everything, it's always going to irritate people. I wish theyd cut the costs and people wouldn't see it as such a cash grab.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I feel it's largely due to the amount of irrational people spending $ like crazy with no care of value until AFTER THE FACT.
    Kinda like the guys complaining about having ten 330 shards toons they can't afford to even activate, because of the credit crunch...

... and also maybe they bought 50 Chromium packs but didn't purchase any credits? Then they realize they were trying to play the whale game on a sardine budget?
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    I feel it's largely due to the amount of irrational people spending $ like crazy with no care of value until AFTER THE FACT.
    Kinda like the guys complaining about having ten 330 shards toons they can't afford to even activate, because of the credit crunch...

... and maybe they bought 50 Chromium packs but didn't purchase any credits? Then they realize they were trying to play the whale game on a sardine budget?

Um no not like that at all. Gear is the son of a ****. Credit crunch comes and goes.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    I was thinking that's an example of how pricing can get higher than it should normally be.

There are people that are complaining that if they knew they couldn't afford to level their toons, they would have never bought the chromiums in the first place. And they will never spend another cent, yada, yada, etc.

It's like the price of chromiums is higher than normal because people don't think about what they're going to do with all those shards and no extra credits.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    I was thinking that's an example of how pricing can get higher than it should normally be.

There are people that are complaining that if they knew they couldn't afford to level their toons, they would have never bought the chromiums in the first place. And they will never spend another cent, yada, yada, etc.

It's like the price of chromiums is higher than normal because people don't think about what they're going to do with all those shards and no extra credits.

Oh I see I agree then :)
  • Options

... and also maybe they bought 50 Chromium packs but didn't purchase any credits? Then they realize they were trying to play the whale game on a sardine budget?

This Is really unrelated. I have about 8 characters at 6* That I can't afford to level due to lack of credits. This isnt due to spending on chromium, I aquired these with GW tokens and arena tokens that were spent rather than banking them. The fact is that you can use tokens to unlock characters much faster than you aquire credits to level them. I've leveled nearly all arena and GW characters and will be running out in the next month or two, even though I don't spend on chromium.
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    int3ns1fy wrote: »
    It's a money grab. You're way overthinking it.

So what am I missing?

Basic logic skills?
  • Options
    Sikho wrote: »

So what am I missing?

Basic logic skills?

More like the majority interpretation of what a money grab is, you know, like a real definition. But some people have posted meaningful responses and I've gleaned the information from them.
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

So what am I missing?

Basic logic skills?

This comment has been removed for violation of Terms of Service http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service
    Post edited by BanthaPanda on
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

So what am I missing?

Basic logic skills?
    This comment has been removed for violation of Terms of Service http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service

You have anger management issues.
    Post edited by BanthaPanda on
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    :D your profile pic suits you perfectly.
  • Options
    Of course it's a money grab. Who cares if it is? Stop whining how you want it free or paying players have too much advantage. Devs designed this game, update it, try to balance it, and they all want to be compensated. You are playing a free game, without outside ads, on free servers. With all that is free, how do you expect the company to make money and pay the employees? If this particular project isn't making money, they will just kill it and start another. Stop crying about fairness or money. Enjoy all the free you already get.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    Options
    Of course it's a money grab. Who cares if it is? Stop whining how you want it free or paying players have too much advantage. Devs designed this game, update it, try to balance it, and they all want to be compensated. You are playing a free game, without outside ads, on free servers. With all that is free, how do you expect the company to make money and pay the employees? If this particular project isn't making money, they will just kill it and start another. Stop crying about fairness or money. Enjoy all the free you already get.

Because for some it wasn't free and they feel backstabbed doh. Comprehensive reading.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    Nothing in the game is a "money grab". It's 100% free to play. They don't even make you watch ads! 100% free!!!

If someone CHOOSES to spend money it's their decision. The people who do buy things should get more they are actually SUPPORTING the game a lot of others are playing completely for free.

Would be like complaining in a store that gives something away for free. Someone else comes in and pays for something then the person who got free stuff crys they didn't get as much as the person who supports the business.

I know on these forums stating the truth can get one attacked. Oh well.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing in the game is a "money grab". It's 100% free to play. They don't even make you watch ads! 100% free!!!

If someone CHOOSES to spend money it's their decision. The people who do buy things should get more they are actually SUPPORTING the game a lot of others are playing completely for free.

Would be like complaining in a store that gives something away for free. Someone else comes in and pays for something then the person who got free stuff crys they didn't get as much as the person who supports the business.

I know on these forums stating the truth can get one attacked. Oh well.

You are aware that supporting this game at a reasonable level ($10-$15 a month or so) gets you very, very little of note? The game is designed to separate people into FTP and mega spenders. If you could spend $20 instead of $800 to get whoever the new chromium character is, many more people would do that.

Instead, there are quite a few people actually supporting the game who receive very little return for what should be the cost of the entire content of a game. This is the business model. They actively discourage people who are not ready to blow thousands of dollars.
  • Onetime7979
    1012 posts Member
    Options
    Your marbles
  • Brimley_Ploom_19
    366 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The game is a twisted experiment. Let's see how many levels of spending we can force on as many target audience as possible. They're genius con artists and you money spenders, well, why do you think you're referred to as types of fish ie whales, dolphins etc, because you're as dumb as a fish who repeatedly gets hook line and sinkered. CAPITAL(MONEY) games.
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The game is a twisted experiment. Let's see how many levels of spending we can force on as many target audience as possible. They're genius con artists and you money spenders, well, why do you think you're referred to as types of fish ie whales, dolphins etc, because you're as dumb as a fish who repeatedly gets hook line and sinkered. CAPITAL(MONEY) games.

You play because of them :D everyone should thank people who spend money.
  • Options

Thanks fish. It's because you have half a brain that im able to play. Keep paying my way, and getting taken advantage of. I'm so glad it's you and not me.
  • V1p3rdyn4sty
    2674 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks fish. It's because you have half a brain that im able to play. Keep paying my way, and getting taken advantage of. I'm so glad it's you and not me.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    I agree with you. This isn't a money grab. Don't spend money if you think it's not worth it.
  • JonnyH
    21 posts Member
    Options
    In F2P games there always has to be an incentive for people to spend money or the game will go bust in no time.

I myself have spent only around £40 on this game seems I enjoy it but I won't be spending much more if any for a few reasons. If other people want to pay God knows how much to get ahead then let them have at it....

The game will go bust as all F2P games do eventually and all the people who have spent £100s or £1000s on the game will be mighty pi.... mad. All the while I will be sat here chuckling and be glad I hadn't paid so much into the game xD
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Options
    The thing is, when they say guilds help to secure the gear, it is entirely true. What people do not like is the speed at which you can obtain the said gear. But then again, might be how the devs intend the game to be played. It is supposed to take you 6 months through shipment purchase, raid rewards, guild store purchases to fully gear a 5 man arena team. Unless you spend money and this is fine. Money = speedy progression.

I bought a furnace, 2 weeks later I have the crystal for another one, just waiting for it to show up. I find this pace perfectly fine. I'm f2p doing well in arena. I'm also at 30/50 pieces to craft a furnace by hand from raid loot. Again, a fairly fast pace of progression.
  • Options
    Just to shed some light, it takes more MK VII Nubian Security Scanners for all toons than it does Furnaces. Those are only obtained through guilds (raids and shipments). This makes the hindrance fair and allows F2P to slowly catch up to those who buy the furnaces when they see them. All you have to do is hoard the crystals. I assume that most F2P members have a small enough roster at the moment to hoard payout crystals enough to get the necessary furnaces, while at the same time, storing parts for the Scanners and Droid Callers. Maybe be headed a little off topic from the original post and not trying to spam the post. The only main advantage of having numerous furnaces (purchased) is if you have numerous toons (purchased) to give them to. This helps with the T7 raids mainly, because you can still only use 5 toons in arena. We should be focused on those Nubain scanners and droid callers. That is where the Arena advantage lies. Have a goodnight all. :wink:
  • Options
    @StormTro0p3R_H

Good analogy in this post.